1987 Offshore 24 Instrument Panel

Lthrneck689

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just purchased an older Offshore, and it's pretty weathered. Trying to clean it up - refurbish teak, replace some wiring, paint, etc. Can't read most of the labels on the instrument panel where the toggle switches and fuses are. The Owners Manual has a picture but it's bad. Anyone know the order of these switches? Also, the fuel gauge doesn't register. Found that one of the wires to the sender on the top of the tank corroded and broke. The two ends are accessible, but I can only access both ends with one hand through the access panel. Any tricks to one hand splicing? Thanks!!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You're going to have to pull up the whole tank hatch to get in there. Its probably siliconed down. You just bought the boat, you want to get in there anyways and look around.

The other way...tape new wire to it through the hole and pull all new wire to the gauge .

You can try the www.gradywhite.com site and get a free pdf of the manual. It might help but its probably a pdf of an old scan.

Lthrneck689

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're going to have to pull up the whole tank hatch to get in there. Its probably siliconed down. You just bought the boat, you want to get in there anyways and look around.

The other way...tape new wire to it through the hole and pull all new wire to the gauge .

You can try the www.gradywhite.com site and get a free pdf of the manual. It might help but its probably a pdf of an old scan.
Thanks! I figured I'd have to pull up the hatch.

dbiscayne

Reaction score
Thanks! I figured I'd have to pull up the hatch.
might as well put a new sending unit in the tank while you're in there.
the switches on my 1990 242 are
top row port to strbrd
wiper, FWD Bilge, Navigation/Anchor, Cockpit Light, Horn

bottom row port to strbrd
Fuel, AFT Bilge, Aerator/Washdown, Accessory, Accessory

UCPA111

Reaction score
Just purchased an older Offshore, and it's pretty weathered. Trying to clean it up - refurbish teak, replace some wiring, paint, etc. Can't read most of the labels on the instrument panel where the toggle switches and fuses are. The Owners Manual has a picture but it's bad. Anyone know the order of these switches? Also, the fuel gauge doesn't register. Found that one of the wires to the sender on the top of the tank corroded and broke. The two ends are accessible, but I can only access both ends with one hand through the access panel. Any tricks to one hand splicing? Thanks!!

I ended up replacing my entire switch panel and rewiring the entire boat. I bought an '84 model seafarer. If you'd like to see some of the things I did to it (including new fuel tank, new switches, new DC circuit panel, etc), you can checkout some of the videos here on my youtube page. If you have questions, let me know. I removed the old fuses and switches and had Newwiremarine make me a custom panel. I am very happy with it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY3HuZDoWwR_iSbBmZmWEkSuhFlgBwjb

Lthrneck689

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
might as well put a new sending unit in the tank while you're in there.
the switches on my 1990 242 are
top row port to strbrd
wiper, FWD Bilge, Navigation/Anchor, Cockpit Light, Horn

bottom row port to strbrd
Fuel, AFT Bilge, Aerator/Washdown, Accessory, Accessory
Thank ypu!

Lthrneck689

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I ended up replacing my entire switch panel and rewiring the entire boat. I bought an '84 model seafarer. If you'd like to see some of the things I did to it (including new fuel tank, new switches, new DC circuit panel, etc), you can checkout some of the videos here on my youtube page. If you have questions, let me know. I removed the old fuses and switches and had Newwiremarine make me a custom panel. I am very happy with it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY3HuZDoWwR_iSbBmZmWEkSuhFlgBwjb
Fantastic job in restoring!! You have the patience of a saint. Great job!

UCPA111

Reaction score
Fantastic job in restoring!! You have the patience of a saint. Great job!
Thanks. It's still a work in process. Working on the "details" now....trimwork, storage, epoxy on the deck, etc. I went to the water last summer with all the mission critical items completed.