1992 Grady-White Sailfish 25' Radar Mount Help

rleslie76

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello everyone, This is my first post here and hoping I could get some advice from GW owners that have already went down this road. I will be installing a Lowrance 24" Radar dome on my new to me Grady-White here in the next few weeks. After doing some research and browsing the Internet it looks like I will need to install a 10" Radar mount in order to get above the Wireless Remote Control spotlight that I will also be installing in the next few weeks. I figured I would need the 10" Radar Mount because I plan on mounting the spotlight on the front center of my T-Top and the Radar dome behind the spotlight. The Spotlight height is just under 10" so the 10" mount with the Base plate should be sufficient clearance for the Radar's line of sight and shouldn't be blocked at all. I was hoping someone knows if I will need a specific angled base plate for the Radar to have the correct line of sight? How do I determine if I want a Aft Leaning, Forward Leaning or a vertical mount? Would I need an angled wedge to make sure the Radar is level when on plane? I have attached two pictures that will hopefully help on this decision and I greatly appreciate any input. Thanks Rob

Attachments

• GW Side Aft View edited.jpg
    GW Side Aft View edited.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • GW Side View.jpg
    GW Side View.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have one as well. They are pretty much standard for the angle based on height of the mount from what I recall.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It takes some calculations to get the proper height and tilt.
I attached a pdf showing what I did for a Marlin 300.
Note that just clearing the light is not enough. The radar beam has a vertical spread. You will be blocking the lower part of the beam unless the dome is higher.
The Marlin hardtop has a step and tilt backward. Those need to be compensated as well as the angle the boat makes on plane.

I ordered a custom made mount. Unfortunately I can't find the vendor. They were able to give me the height and tilt required as well as match the existing bolt holes on the hardtop.

One final note. I elected to not have a hardtop mounted spot. I had one on an earlier boat and found the reflections off the hardtop and bow were unacceptable. What I am currently doing is using a remote controlled spot mounted in a rod holder attached to the front bow rail. That way there is nothing to reflect the light and the light is not in the elements all the time. I tapped off the windlass for power. It will make your radar mounting easier as well.

Attachments

• radar tilt and height.pdf
    127.7 KB · Views: 15

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Do you trailer your boat? If so, watch your height. I had to flush mount mine and still hit some trees.

rleslie76

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sorry for the delay on responding back and Thank you to those who responded. I am currently looking at the Seaview mounts, most likely that will be my pick. I was also wondering about the Spotlight regarding reflections. I am going to hold off on mounting that just yet.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It takes some calculations to get the proper height and tilt.
I attached a pdf showing what I did for a Marlin 300.
Note that just clearing the light is not enough. The radar beam has a vertical spread. You will be blocking the lower part of the beam unless the dome is higher.
The Marlin hardtop has a step and tilt backward. Those need to be compensated as well as the angle the boat makes on plane.

I ordered a custom made mount. Unfortunately I can't find the vendor. They were able to give me the height and tilt required as well as match the existing bolt holes on the hardtop.

One final note. I elected to not have a hardtop mounted spot. I had one on an earlier boat and found the reflections off the hardtop and bow were unacceptable. What I am currently doing is using a remote controlled spot mounted in a rod holder attached to the front bow rail. That way there is nothing to reflect the light and the light is not in the elements all the time. I tapped off the windlass for power. It will make your radar mounting easier as well.
Can you give some more info on mounting the light to a rod holder?
Thanks

Deep Blue

Reaction score
Another issue to consider is any electronic items mounted to the hardtop, specifically radio antennas or GPS stuff. If you haven't already you should read Nigel Calder's chapter on this very subject, it's eye-opening. The book is available on Amazon and is called "Boat Owner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual", make sure you get the 4th edition.