1995 Islander 268 Removing fuel Tank

Steelhead

Reaction score
Hi , I pulled up the access covers on the floor and want to remove and inspect the main fuel tank . The tank looks good from what I can see but still want to inspect the bottom to make sure. It looks like if I cut the one bulkhead closest to the tank and trim the back one down I can slide it out ? Has anybody had luck doing it this way ? I really don't want to cut into the stairs . Side note anyone have the part number for the axillary fuel tank ?

-Dan

Reaction score
I attempted to remove my '95 268 Islander 134 gallon tank by cutting the bulkhead directly behind the tank. With said bulkhead removed, the tank would not come out due the length of the tank in relation to the steps. I toyed with the idea of cutting the bulkhead forward of the batteries to see if that would provide enough room to slide it out. It didn't look like (to me) that would provide enough additional room to slide the tank out due to the stairs. I didn't cut that bulkhead to try it. I tried to research, short of calling Grady, but could not find any detailed info. This was a few years ago. I wound up using a borescope to inspect the tank the best I could and set it back in place. Hopefully someone has experience with this I would be very interested in your progress. Historical discussion with a little more detail regarding my removal attempt in link below.

-Dan

Reactions: Steelhead

Steelhead

Reaction score
I attempted to remove my '95 268 Islander 134 gallon tank by cutting the bulkhead directly behind the tank. With said bulkhead removed, the tank would not come out due the length of the tank in relation to the steps. I toyed with the idea of cutting the bulkhead forward of the batteries to see if that would provide enough room to slide it out. It didn't look like (to me) that would provide enough additional room to slide the tank out due to the stairs. I didn't cut that bulkhead to try it. I tried to research, short of calling Grady, but could not find any detailed info. This was a few years ago. I wound up using a borescope to inspect the tank the best I could and set it back in place. Hopefully someone has experience with this I would be very interested in your progress. Historical discussion with a little more detail regarding my removal attempt in link below.

-Dan

Thank you so much for the link ! I searched and somehow missed your post , I will keep you posted how I make out ? My brother had suggested the same thing that you did with the bore scope , this boat spent it's life in fresh water so we'll see how it looks underneath ? Thank you again !

Doberman

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Have done it and added a 55 gallon aux tank in middle open space. PM if still pondering

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you are going to go so far as to pull the tanks (especially the forward one) I would replace them. I tested mine in place by pumping them out and using a automotive smoke machine. This also applies some pressure to the tank. All done thru fuel fill. Mine tested good.

I saw in DAN's repost that there is a void forward of the main tank. I remember sliding my tape measure up and it didn't go all the way forward. Wishful thing but is it possible to get the tank out by pulling the hatch in the helm area? May not be wide enough. Mine is back together so I can't check.

I will probably do the tanks in a few years. I would like to know how big a project it will be to get the main tank out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steelhead

Steelhead

Reaction score
If you are going to go so far as to pull the tanks (especially the forward one) I would replace them. I tested mine in place by pumping them out and using a automotive smoke machine. This also applies some pressure to the tank. All done thru fuel fill. Mine tested good.

I saw in DAN's repost that there is a void forward of the main tank. I remember sliding my tape measure up and it didn't go all the way forward. Wishful thing but is it possible to get the tank out by pulling the hatch in the helm area? May not be wide enough. Mine is back together so I can't check.

I will probably do the tanks in a few years. I would like to know how big a project it will be to get the main tank out.

Well I found out the only way the tank can be removed is to cut the stairs , there's not enough room even removing the bulked at the rear. My tank looks like new , no corrosion . Tank was coated by Florida Marine when new .Thank you for the link !

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well I found out the only way the tank can be removed is to cut the stairs , there's not enough room even removing the bulked at the rear. My tank looks like new , no corrosion . Tank was coated by Florida Marine when new .Thank you for the link !
I have not been inside the forward deck hatch. I have not seen any pictures either. The main tank sits low in that compartment and a 32-gallon water tank sits on top of it. When I ran a tape measure from the aft compartment it felt like it fell off the fuel tank short of the cabin bulkhead. I'm wondering if the tank can be pulled forward and tilted out. Also not sure if the opening is wide enough to get the tank out. Do you have any pictures of the tank with the forward deck hatch up?

Main fuel tank should be in better shape than the aux. Its in a better location. The deck hatch over my aux was wet, the core shot and leaking plywood glue on the tanks. The main tank was crapped up where the hoses are but forward it looked new. The aux tank was completely crapped up. Glue cleaned up.

This year I fixed the deck hatch and tested the tanks. Both were good. For now I'm going to stick with what I have but I'm planning ahead.