1998 Yamaha 225 Cutoff problem.

Bust it Big

Reaction score
Over the past 5-6 runs, engine has cut off at lease once when going full throttle. I can start right up and get going immediately after each time it shuts down. I have tried to pay attention to everything so when it happens, I have some info. These two seem to be the consistent things:

1. It seems to cutoff when running hard in choppy water.
2. If motor is fully trimmed and come across any bumps.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I pay a mechanic?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, turned out is was my fuel pump, but it also did it over time if I ran above cruise for extended trips, but on rough days it happened quicker and more so. It sounds like a fuel problem for sure, it could also be a clog in one of your filters, or your fuel pick up. Most Grady's have a small filter installed after the pick up pipe that has a small mesh, this can clog if there is residue in the tank. If the problem happens again, try having someone pump the ball and see if it goes away, that could signal a fuel pump problem. Regardless, I would concentrate on your fuel system, the fact that bumps effect the engine sort of makes me think that is the culprit.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with gradyfish. I too have had problems with fuel delivery occasionally. I was told that by letting the fuel tank run dry (when you have dual tanks) you are damaging the fuel pumps. I also found that the strainer inside the fuel tanks does occasionally clog (more I assume on older boats/tanks). I had to clear mine a few times over the last ten years. Another thing I would rule out is a possible suction leak in the fuel line or even a kink in the fuel hose. With a 225 EFI at wot, you are burning about 22 gallons per hour. Any issue with fuel delivery will cause problems.

By the way, fuel pumps are very easy to swap out. I could probably do it while offshore in about fifteen or twenty minutes if I had to. I've learned they were not worth rebuilding.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
get a fuel pressure/vacuum gauge on there to see if it is the tanks or lines
more sounds like carbs need a cleaning

catch22

Reaction score
Might be the ignition switch? I had one do exactly the same thing you describe, (pounding in a chop). Try moving the ignition key around, while the motor is running. Up and down, side to side, jiggle it, etc.