1999 228G Seafarer with Hardtop Total Weight Question

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello, I was wondering if someone knew the weight of the 228G with a hardtop? I have the 1999 model with the hardtop but the 1999 brochure tells me it’s 3000lbs and the 2000 brochure tells me it’s 3350lbs with the Grady bracket. I took it to a local scale today and from my calculations after removing the weight of my truck, fuel in the boat and motors, I have the total weight at about 4200 lbs dry. I was wondering if others have weighed their 228G’s and what were your scaled weights? I’m trying to decide if I am under trailered, thank you.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I've got a 2020 with a hard top. Here is my info when I was doing the same thought process:

Boat - dry weight = 3510
Motor - 250HP = 562
Fuel/water = 772
Hard top w/canvas = 225
Electronics = 50
Downriggers, balls = 85
Gear = 100
Total = 5304

I've added a kicker so more like 5430. I have a 7K GVWR trailer, the trailer is probably somewhere around 1000 pounds so I think I'm good. I've had it for a year, more like 1.5 years but COVID shut down the harbor, I've done close to 50 outings with it, the 7K trailer is just fine.

Reactions: PointedRose

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with the above.

Think I calculated my 2000 228 with OX225 at 5400 or so with the aux tank. I’m not sure why my boat was bought with the trailer it had, but that was only listed at 5500, so definitely undertrailer when you consider 1k for the trailer.

Reactions: PointedRose

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great thanks for the information gentlemen, Luckydude, is your hardtop and canvas only 225 lbs? For some reason I thought it would be at least 500lbs or so.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I never rely on manufacturers specifications I put my 2013 with hardtop, 250 Yamaha on the weighbridge when I first got her .
She weighed 3060 kg ( 6746 lbs in your old school system).
That was with over 3/4 full petrol ( gas to you) full water tank, windlass, safety gear, trailer with spare wheel ( 7000 lb) and no fishing gear.
I believe pre 2012 boats ( with FG swim platform) are a little lighter, I can't tell you how much lighter because my old boat was vista top.
I hope that helps you .

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Great thanks for the information gentlemen, Luckydude, is your hardtop and canvas only 225 lbs? For some reason I thought it would be at least 500lbs or so.
Yeah, I don't know where I got those numbers. Seems too low for top + canvas, seems too high for just canvas. I think it was the dealer but don't remember. If anyone really cares I can run it over a scale and tell you.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Don, I think you're making this more complicated than it has to. Deducting the weight of your OB's and fuel, etc, is not what you want to do. You need to keep those weights in there. In fact, you should be weighing the boat with full fuel tanks, batteries and all gear that you would normally be putting in the boat when trailering - or at least manually add those weights to the scale weight. Plus, using some info from the 'net isn't always helpful ;)

Taking it to the scale, like you did, is the best way. But you should be able to get the actual weight of the boat/trailer without having to do anything special. Simply drop the trailer on the scale and drive your truck off. Done.

What is the carrying capacity of your trailer?

FYI, trailer ID plates often list a couple things... one of them being a "gross" weight which is the rated capacity PLUS the weight of the trailer, while the other thing they often list is the carrying capacity.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don, I think you're making this more complicated than it has to. Deducting the weight of your OB's and fuel, etc, is not what you want to do. You need to keep those weights in there. In fact, you should be weighing the boat with full fuel tanks, batteries and all gear that you would normally be putting in the boat when trailering - or at least manually add those weights to the scale weight. Plus, using some info from the 'net isn't always helpful ;)

Taking it to the scale, like you did, is the best way. But you should be able to get the actual weight of the boat/trailer without having to do anything special. Simply drop the trailer on the scale and drive your truck off. Done.

What is the carrying capacity of your trailer?

FYI, trailer ID plates often list a couple things... one of them being a "gross" weight which is the rated capacity PLUS the weight of the trailer, while the other thing they often list is the carrying capacity.
The carrying capacity of the trailer is 5200lbs which I thought I was good until weighing the boat and truck the other day on the scale and then going back to just weigh the truck. I just assumed that the Specs from the Grady White website would be accurate but my mistake. Looks like I’m upgrading my trailer in the near future for those longer trips with gear and fuel onboard. I think I’m fine for shorter hauls in the meantime.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mine was 6800 lbs on the trailer at the island highway scale last summer. Quarter tank of fuel.
Trailer GVW is 7980
Capacity 6480
Trailer weight is 1500lbs.

So boat weighed 5300lbs, low on fuel with no gear, anchor chain or anything on board.

My trailer is just right. Remember around hear if the trailer is over 6160 lbs in BC it must have manually controllable brakes. So surges brakes are a not acceptable. Has to be electric (not in boat world, covers RVs) or electric over hydraulic. Which is what I have and love. I do love the long tongue on my road runner trailer for launching...but not on the ferries!

I'll keep an eye out for trailers our way.

Reactions: Don Davis

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The carrying capacity of the trailer is 5200lbs which I thought I was good until weighing the boat and truck the other day on the scale and then going back to just weigh the truck. I just assumed that the Specs from the Grady White website would be accurate but my mistake. Looks like I’m upgrading my trailer in the near future for those longer trips with gear and fuel onboard. I think I’m fine for shorter hauls in the meantime.
Don, what the weight of the truck and boat? And what was the weight of just the truck?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The weight of the truck and the boat is 13,900lbs and the truck only is 7460lbs
Well, actually, that's not too bad. So the boat/trailer is 6,440. If you have a galvanized trailer, subtract about 1,500 lbs. If you have an aluminum trailer, subtract about 1,000. With the aluminum trailer you're currently (as weighed) 240lbs over. You'll be fine with that. BUT, you MAY just be able to get new tires and increase the load range of your tires and get somewhere in the neighborhood of another 600 or 800 pounds capacity.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well, actually, that's not too bad. So the boat/trailer is 6,440. If you have a galvanized trailer, subtract about 1,500 lbs. If you have an aluminum trailer, subtract about 1,000. With the aluminum trailer you're currently (as weighed) 240lbs over. You'll be fine with that. BUT, you MAY just be able to get new tires and increase the load range of your tires and get somewhere in the neighborhood of another 600 or 800 pounds capacity.
It is a galvanized Road Runner trailer, I did just put new tires on last year, they are load range C, here is the rig, I figured I was on the bubble with weight.

Attachments

• D21160F6-39C0-4C08-A205-1B47F71D422C.jpeg
    D21160F6-39C0-4C08-A205-1B47F71D422C.jpeg
    400.4 KB · Views: 18

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That may not be a full 1,500lbs - but I'm sure it's at least 1,200lbs. At 1,200lbs, it puts you pretty much dead on with the weight carrying capacity. Load range D's would the solution - but I wouldn't rush to do it. It's not like if you go over the capacity by small margin that the trailer will immediately explode :) Not "ideal" with the way it is, but good enough till you want to change the tires.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My load range Cs carry 1820lbs each, that on my quad trailer.

Load range Ds carry 2150, that's on my boat and travel trailer.

The Es from Goodyear are a slightly bigger tire at 225/75/15 but are rated at 2830lbs!!

I like the Es for our BC gravel roads, I've lost a lot of trailer tires over the years and am slowly upgrading them all to at least Ds.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I will upgrade to load range D tires next spring and sell the near new load range C tires currently on the trailer, thanks for all the information, much appreciated or I may just start looking for a bigger payload trailer as suggested over the winter …

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I will upgrade to load range D tires next spring and sell the near new load range C tires currently on the trailer, thanks for all the information, much appreciated or I may just start looking for a bigger payload trailer as suggested over the winter …
Just my opinion of course, but I wouldn't look to another trailer, Don. Upgrading tires is EXACTLY what trailer manufacturers do to increase load capcity. It's not cheating or skimping - you'd be doing it the right way. Your trailer must have at least 3,500lb axles - giving you 7K gross rating - which is about 600lbs more than you have now. So your trailer is already set to be rated for at least 7K. Given you've been trailing around just fine like you currently are, adding the heavier tires is really all you need. If you do go bigger, don't go too big - otherwise it becomes a "jarring" ride for the boat.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just my opinion of course, but I wouldn't look to another trailer, Don. Upgrading tires is EXACTLY what trailer manufacturers do to increase load capcity. It's not cheating or skimping - you'd be doing it the right way. Your trailer must have at least 3,500lb axles - giving you 7K gross rating - which is about 600lbs more than you have now. So your trailer is already set to be rated for at least 7K. Given you've been trailing around just fine like you currently are, adding the heavier tires is really all you need. If you do go bigger, don't go too big - otherwise it becomes a "jarring" ride for the boat.
Great advice, thanks