1999 Yamaha 250 OX66

Ozz043

Reaction score
G-Day All
I've got a Marlin running with 1999 Yamaha OX66
When I flush the engines ( through flush point, engines not running ) one engine shoots a jet from the telltale, the other doesn't
Is this of any concern ?
Thanks in advance....

seasick

Reaction score
Ozz043 said:
G-Day All
I've got a Marlin running with 1999 Yamaha OX66
When I flush the engines ( through flush point, engines not running ) one engine shoots a jet from the telltale, the other doesn't
Is this of any concern ?
Thanks in advance....
Assuming you use the same muffs and plumbing for both motors, one at a time...
Does the telltale work when the motor is run?

If not then the telltale passage or any part of the water passages may be blocked.
You could have a stuck poppet valve. If it gets stuck in the full open position, you might experience overheating at low speed but will run fine at cruising.
The water inlets could be partially blocked on the LU
The flush port tube or fitting could be slow/blocked. I have noticed that when a quick connect coupler is added to the flush port, some models pass less water volume than others. The quick connects also wear out over time.
Bottom line is that is everything else seems normal, don't worry about it

Ozz043

Reaction score
Sea Sick, I'm not flushing with muffs, I'm using the flush port moored in the marina. Alls fine with engines running with normal operation.

seasick

Reaction score
Ozz043 said:
Sea Sick, I'm not flushing with muffs, I'm using the flush port moored in the marina. Alls fine with engines running with normal operation.

Then I wouldn't worry.
As mentioned do your have quick connect couplers installed on the flush fittings?

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The indicator stream on my 225's pass through the voltage regulator to keep it cool. My stream clogged once last year on the old boat with the 225 OX66 and I knew it was just the stream and didn't think I had to worry. The voltage regulator ended up burning out. When I opened it up it was loaded with salt residue, which is why it clogged so easy. If yours is getting clogged maybe the hose doesn't have enough pressure to pass through the regulator. It is pretty easy to pull that indicator tube off the cooling jacket to see if there is water flow before the regulator.

Just a though.

seasick

Reaction score
Fire93Medic said:
The indicator stream on my 225's pass through the voltage regulator to keep it cool. My stream clogged once last year on the old boat with the 225 OX66 and I knew it was just the stream and didn't think I had to worry. The voltage regulator ended up burning out. When I opened it up it was loaded with salt residue, which is why it clogged so easy. If yours is getting clogged maybe the hose doesn't have enough pressure to pass through the regulator. It is pretty easy to pull that indicator tube off the cooling jacket to see if there is water flow before the regulator.

Just a though.

The key here is that in your case, there was no flow when running in seas. The original issue was no pee stream only when flushing if I read it right. No stream under normal conditions is always a warning to shut down and find out what is going on.

suzukidave

Reaction score
does that engine pee at low idle? you may not have a stuck valve or blockage that requires high water pressure to overcome..

Ozz043

Reaction score
Problem solved

There was a chunk of salt blocking the hole, how I don't know as I regularly flush the engines...
Thanks anyway fellas ! :dance