2 stroke oil and fuel stabilizer reccomendations

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I’m boring and have always used Ring Free and Yamalube. The stuff is a lot more expensive than it used to be, but I’ve had no issues over 1800 hours on the motor, and it’s cheap compared to the cost of a new powerhead or motor. You’ll get a lot of different opinions on the matter.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'll give the contrary opinion...;)

Pennzoil Marine 2 stroke oil $20/gal at any auto store. It is TC-W3 just like Yamalube. That said, Walmart oil $15 is TC-W3 so I'd use that except I hate going to Walmart (always a problem in front of me at the checkout).

I don't use Yamalube or Ring Free because the cost is just stupid and the gasoline I buy(Valvtect) already has a "detergent".
There is a Startron branded RingClean thats half the price off Yamalube brand.

All major brands of gas (Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, Chevron, Texaco...) already have detergent.

I use Startron gas stabilizer(always buy when 2 for 1 sale) out of fear (rational or not) of ethanol problems.
Chevron just started selling a stabilizer/Techron combination that seems reasonably priced and kills 2 birds at once. Might use that when I run out of Startron.

Reactions: enfish

seasick

Reaction score
I also buy Penzoil XLF when I find it.
I use an alternative carbon product because as mentioned Ring Free pricing is ridiculous.
Keep in mind that your motor is 17 years old and assuming it is new to you, you probably don't know what was used before but apparently it worked fine.
If crap oil or gas was used, the damage may already be done and there isn't a lot you can do about that. So.. Don't fret. Buy decent TWC-3 oil and it doesn't have to be Yamalube. I like Valvtect if you can find it and try to buy your gas from stations that pump a lot of it. There is no substitute for fresh gas.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm with OnoEric and run RingFree and Yamalube as well along with marine StaBil. Have no clue what previous owner used but this is how I choose to take care of my motor. Try my best to run non ethanol fuel also, but sometimes I can't. Even though I'm a four stroke, I'd still maintain my two stroke the same. Ordered a case of RingFree off a link one of our members provided a while back, decent price for it.

Gianni

Reaction score
I’ve got a funny question: something I thought of. If we just through fuel stabilizer in without going under way and having it mix in with the fuel we’ll- does it work as effective just pouring in and dry docking boat without going underway??

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ve got a funny question: something I thought of. If we just through fuel stabilizer in without going under way and having it mix in with the fuel we’ll- does it work as effective just pouring in and dry docking boat without going underway??

Kind of need to run the motor after stabilizer put in, more so the 2 strokes to get the stabilized fuel into the carbs before layup. I'm running stabilizer in my fuel all the time, added with each fuel addition, so my fuel is stabilized throughout the whole system 100% of the time.

Reactions: Gianni

Gianni

Reaction score
Kind of need to run the motor after stabilizer put in, more so the 2 strokes to get the stabilized fuel into the carbs before layup. I'm running stabilizer in my fuel all the time, added with each fuel addition, so my fuel is stabilized throughout the whole system 100% of the time.
I’m going to have to do that next season. I’ve had too many water issues these last 3 seasons. Not sure if I have a opening somewhere- this season I have a lot of work to do

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m going to have to do that next season. I’ve had too many water issues these last 3 seasons. Not sure if I have a opening somewhere- this season I have a lot of work to do

Check your fuel cap O rings, check sending units and make sure they are snug and sealing. You may be getting water in through there. During storage, are you keeping a full or empty tank? For me, winter time temperatures fluctuate here in Kentucky and the tank can/will sweat and create water in fuel from all the condensation.

Gianni

Reaction score
Check your fuel cap O rings, check sending units and make sure they are snug and sealing. You may be getting water in through there. During storage, are you keeping a full or empty tank? For me, winter time temperatures fluctuate here in Kentucky and the tank can/will sweat and create water in fuel from all the condensation.
I had a feeling about fuel cap area- there’s no actual o ring- it has a gasket but looks like the whole setup needs to be replaced...

I have been told by a mechanic to leave tank close to empty. I’ve always heard mix opinions. Not sure what’s better. They say full tank can be bad because if water does come out- now you have a full tank with water also

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had a feeling about fuel cap area- there’s no actual o ring- it has a gasket but looks like the whole setup needs to be replaced...

I have been told by a mechanic to leave tank close to empty. I’ve always heard mix opinions. Not sure what’s better. They say full tank can be bad because if water does come out- now you have a full tank with water also

If you're getting water in from a leak, doesn't matter until you find that leak.

Either as close to empty as you can get or topped off full, never in between. The metal tank will sweat with the warmer fuel in it. If it's empty, no warm fuel, tank cools off or warms up evenly, full tank, no exposed area to sweat. As simple as I can put it. Yes, I work in the industry.

Gianni

Reaction score
If you're getting water in from a leak, doesn't matter until you find that leak.

Either as close to empty as you can get or topped off full, never in between. The metal tank will sweat with the warmer fuel in it. If it's empty, no warm fuel, tank cools off or warms up evenly, full tank, no exposed area to sweat. As simple as I can put it. Yes, I work in the industry.
I never doubted your knowledge. We’ll see what happens start of the season- fingers crossed!

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I never doubted your knowledge. We’ll see what happens start of the season- fingers crossed!

LOL,,,, I by no means meant to come off as all knowing. I get the question all the time at work on what the best way to leave their fuel tank for the winter. That's what we recommend, either of those options for those reasons.

Gianni

Reaction score
Well it sounds like ill be breaking your balls on info when im getting ready for spring :)

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pennzoil XLF at Walmart for $17. PRI-G for the fuel - available on Amazon.