2000 272 Sailfish Motor Size

r16409

Reaction score
Hi,

Considering a 2000 272 Sailfish but thinking its underpowered. It has 2 4 Stroke 150's - was not that originally equipped with 225's?

Thank You

seasick

Reaction score
Are the motors 2 strokes? It makes a big difference. In nay case you can look at the original Grady brochure for 2000 models.
Search for Grady White archived brochures.

cosmic

Reaction score
That hull can do 250's (500hp) so yes 150's will probably be underwhelming.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yea, 150s are way underpowered. I'm surprised that the hull was rated at 500hp back then, but it was. Once thing to consider is age of the hull. I'd be looking at 200s and 250s. If weight was about the same (and it usually is), then go 250s. If there were big differences in the 200/250 or manufacturers, I'd probably go with the lighter.

r16409

Reaction score
Are the motors 2 strokes? It makes a big difference. In nay case you can look at the original Grady brochure for 2000 models.
Search for Grady White archived brochures.
They are 4 Strokes. Thanks for the tip on Grady White Archive!

Sailfish

Reaction score
I owned a 2000 with twin 225 Optimax outboards. I can't imagine the boat will perform well with 150s, especially loaded with four guys, bait, fuel, ice, etc.

yousef84

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I upgraded to twin 250 suzuki on 272 .. changed the back scubbers .. and everything is fine ..

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

[B]r16409[/B]: First, welcome to the forum. I hope you find it helpful.

I am curious. What kind of speed/rpm numbers do you see with the 4-stroke 150's? And are they Yamahas?

Tx, Rob

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I could be mistaken, but my neighbor up at our beach cabin has a 2005 Grady White 270 Islander and I believe that it has twin F150's on it. Though, I'm looking for a picture on my phone to see if I can prove that, it might actually be F200's, but I know it's not anything more than that. I went out on his boat a couple of times last summer and while it wasn't a speed demon, it ran just fine and wasn't a dog or anything. Though to be fair, we mainly just use our boats to troll for salmon or cruise to check the crab pots and then cruise back, no more than maybe 5 miles roundtrip. If you're looking for something with a higher top speed and a longer range then yes, maybe look at something like an F200 at the minimum?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A friend has one and it is powered with twind 200 HPDIs and it moves right along. Not sure the the 150s would be sufficient

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have the 252G model with twin 200hp HPDI's and could not or would not want less HP and torque. The performance is outstanding! Out of the hole and on plane very fast, like 3 seconds even with full fuel/load and 49mph top end.
I would love to repower, and the only 200hp option out there are the new 200HP 4 stroke Mercury engines that have a V6 instead of the 4 cylinders which will give me hopefully the same low end torque I want and need.
While I am sure the other 4 strokes out there would work and even the 150's would work, consider the weight factor and low end torque if you need to navigate high current or rough seas. There have been times in huge opposing wind/current swells that you need that low end torque and HP to get you out of the hole and maintain control preventing overtaking seas! I was there in my former boat and we were very lucky a few times having a boat/motor that was on the low side of power.

When looking for another boat, the first thing I look for is if the boat is matched with the right HP. If not, I keep looking, so lower than standard HP might hurt on resale. It would for me as I would not even consider twin 150's on a 27, or even a 25. Just my .02 cents.

Sailfish

Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but my neighbor up at our beach cabin has a 2005 Grady White 270 Islander and I believe that it has twin F150's on it. Though, I'm looking for a picture on my phone to see if I can prove that, it might actually be F200's, but I know it's not anything more than that. I went out on his boat a couple of times last summer and while it wasn't a speed demon, it ran just fine and wasn't a dog or anything. Though to be fair, we mainly just use our boats to troll for salmon or cruise to check the crab pots and then cruise back, no more than maybe 5 miles roundtrip. If you're looking for something with a higher top speed and a longer range then yes, maybe look at something like an F200 at the minimum?

The Islander is a much lighter boat than the Sailfish. The Island is 8' 6" o the beam versus 9'6", a foot shorter, and 4,660 pounds versus 6,750.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The Islander is a much lighter boat than the Sailfish. The Island is 8' 6" o the beam versus 9'6", a foot shorter, and 4,660 pounds versus 6,750.
I'm not sure where you're getting that information from as a quick look at the brochure, I just picked a random year of 2005, shows the dry weight of the 270 Islander at 5,600 lbs and the dry weight of the 282 Sailfish at 5,800 lbs. Which is obviously only a difference of merely 200 lbs dry, which isn't going to be that big or noticeable at all.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The older Islanders were lighter according to GW. The reason doesn't make sense to me, but they claimed the newer models had more options contributing to the weight. I find it hard to believe options added 1k lbs, but that's their story.
Based on the weight of ours I'm confident the 2003 - 2005 models are 5600 lbs. 5800 for the 282 seems way too light.
Regardless, a 282 with f150's is far from ideal. It got the job done on the Islander well till you had both tanks full + 1k lbs. Then the struggle begins. I can't image the extra weight of the 282 plus the extra foot of beam being pushed through the water would be anything but disappointing. If your trips are always short and you run light, it'll get the job done. Otherwise you will be working the hell out of 150's outside their optimal rpm range.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The older Islanders were lighter according to GW. The reason doesn't make sense to me, but they claimed the newer models had more options contributing to the weight. I find it hard to believe options added 1k lbs, but that's their story.
Based on the weight of ours I'm confident the 2003 - 2005 models are 5600 lbs. 5800 for the 282 seems way too light.
Regardless, a 282 with f150's is far from ideal. It got the job done on the Islander well till you had both tanks full + 1k lbs. Then the struggle begins. I can't image the extra weight of the 282 plus the extra foot of beam being pushed through the water would be anything but disappointing. If your trips are always short and you run light, it'll get the job done. Otherwise you will be working the hell out of 150's outside their optimal rpm range.
I honestly have no idea as well as no experience with a 282 Sailfish, just going off what their website says as well as the limited experience of being out on my neighbors boat with him a few times. I agree, the F150's probably aren't ideal for either boat but could definitely be "doable" for the 270 Islander as the maximum horsepower rating on it is only 500 hp, and if you run light then it should work out "ok". Comparatively, the 282 Sailfish is rated for a maximum of 600 hp, so yes if there is in fact a difference between the two boats and for some reason they did switch up the dry weight to add an extra 1k lbs, then the F150's would be even less ideal. Though again, I have no experience with a 282 Sailfish.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had this thought that I knew was highly unlikely. But perhaps someone had a positive experience with repowering a Sailfish with the newer 4 cyl. 200 hp four strokes. I was hoping against hope.

I'm looking at repowering not too far down the road and it would be nice to get all these new digital accoutrements. Such discussions with the Admiral always seem to lead to discussions of furniture.

So I thought the (presumably) lower cost of the 200's would make the discussions go a bit better.

Repowering with the fully digital F250's is darn expensive. I'd have to hold out for the reportedly coming recession to even have a chance. Assuming I have any income in the recession!.

Rob

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had this thought that I knew was highly unlikely. But perhaps someone had a positive experience with repowering a Sailfish with the newer 4 cyl. 200 hp four strokes. I was hoping against hope.

I'm looking at repowering not too far down the road and it would be nice to get all these new digital accoutrements. Such discussions with the Admiral always seem to lead to discussions of furniture.

So I thought the (presumably) lower cost of the 200's would make the discussions go a bit better.

Repowering with the fully digital F250's is darn expensive. I'd have to hold out for the reportedly coming recession to even have a chance. Assuming I have any income in the recession!.

Rob
You could definitely do twin 200 outboards on a 282 Sailfish, especially if you're not looking for top speed. Here's an article I found with a few performance numbers on the same boat but with twin Yamaha 200 HPDI's, so it'll be slightly different but should be pretty close. Cruising speed is 34 mph @ 4,000 rpm and burning 20.2 gph of fuel, and the top speed is 46 mph @ 5,400 rpm. I'm guessing with some heavier 4 strokes that don't have as much torque that you'll likely be in the high 30's to low 40's mph range at WOT. So again, as long as you're not looking for a 50+ mph boat, I don't see any reason why you couldn't go with twin 200's. Good luck!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks, Mustang. You have breathed new life into what I thought was a non-starter idea. I typically run about about 10-12 miles from the inlet to then set up live bait drifts. So I don't go far. And I've become a calm water boater.

We do like to trailer the boat to do portions of the Great Loop, but I'm nearly always looking to cruise at the most fuel efficient speed. Right now that's about 23-25 mph, depending on load and sea state.

My hesitancy will come in to play in thinking about the loss of torque the six cylinders provide. But I started this by saying I needed to lower the cost so I'd better be prepared to pick my poison.

Tx, Rob

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have a 2006 282 with 2 F225 and those work fine. I would say 150s is under powered and would be an issue in rough seas.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks, Mustang. You have breathed new life into what I thought was a non-starter idea. I typically run about about 10-12 miles from the inlet to then set up live bait drifts. So I don't go far. And I've become a calm water boater.

We do like to trailer the boat to do portions of the Great Loop, but I'm nearly always looking to cruise at the most fuel efficient speed. Right now that's about 23-25 mph, depending on load and sea state.

My hesitancy will come in to play in thinking about the loss of torque the six cylinders provide. But I started this by saying I needed to lower the cost so I'd better be prepared to pick my poison.

Tx, Rob
Have you considered or looked at Suzuki outboards? You can typically get them for considerably less than Yamaha or the other brands, especially if you shop around and find the best deal. I’m admittedly a frugal person, especially with regards to fishing and boating, and if/when I ever need to repower it’ll likely be with Suzuki because of the price. Id check on their DF225 series motors, which are a 6 cylinder and I can’t imagine they’d be much more than a 200 hp outboard. I personally like the DF250AP which has the digital throttle controls compared to the mechanical, but I know some either don’t care or don’t want to spend the extra money. I’ve looked online though and the difference between the Suzuki 225 and 250 is quite negligible, usually $1k or so less and definitely worth the extra couple grand if you’re worried about being underpowered.