2000 Tournament 192

Paulb4333

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hello, I've had my G-W Tournament 192 since new in 2000. It has a Yamaha 2 stroke 200, with relatively low hours on it. But recently I've had some issues and was stranded with an impeller gone bad. My family isn't comfortable going out on it as in the past, so I am going to repower it with a 200HP Yamaha 4 stroke. Since I'm keeping the boat, I am going to upgrade as many things as I can. The hull and interior are in great shape...below is what I need (want) to do and advice is most welcome.

-Hatch frame in front of console has yellowed and looks ugly
-Horn is DOA
-Wiper is DOA
-Windshield has a scrape in it made by a wiper with no blade (long story)
-Rocker switches work but they look "old"
-Most of the decals and resin badges look cloudy
-Always hated the bimini size as it's only 55" long...would like one at least 72". Looking at Carver (BTW, the original 21 YO Sunbrella still looks like new....I'm serious.

Advice on any of the above welcome

What I've done so far is:
Replace all seat coverings
New Multi-function gauges

Any other suggestions on what you've found worth doing.

I wrestled with myself over buying something new, but I love this boat and repowering is under $20K where a new GW, if you can get one is $65-80K. Hope I made the right choice.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi Paul - while you have the motor off you may want to look at and potentially address the infamous 'bang plate" or transom seam on your boat. Lots of threads on this site on how folks have addressed it.
I would also look at all thru hulls, hoses, fuel lines and the pry off hatches - replace anything that is suspect. I would definitely replace all fuel hoses.
Assume your bilge pumps are all good.
Best of luck with the new motor, it will make a huge difference. (I replaced a 2 stroke yamaha 150 with a 4 stroke 2 years back, night and day!)

Paulb4333

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Thank you for your helpful response! I don't even know what a bang plate is, so will have to research. Though this is not a requirement, we've always found that our 55" Bimini is too short...we live in the punishing summers of SC and more shade is important. I've found a Carver Bimini that is 72"...has anyone tried a bigger Bimini and been successful.
BTW, this is a great forum with TONS of useful info.

dbiscayne

Reaction score
The big 4 bow bimini tops are pretty nice and fold up just as neatly as a smaller 3 bow, just make sure to stick with the lighter colors I had a navy blue bimini that was like a heater in the summer time in S FL. And make sure you get the height you need as well.
The bang plate is the plate that Grady places over the top of the transom, tends to become unsealed over time leading to transom issues.
I took my wiper off completely, hadn't ever used it before that. Think you'll have to live with your scrape. Electric horns get finicky over time too, spray some silicone in the replacement before mounting and pick a way to mount it so it's not catching spray. Or get an air horn and forget about it.
Some rocker switches allow replacement of just the cover without getting into the wiring.

Delaney

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thank you for your helpful response! I don't even know what a bang plate is, so will have to research. Though this is not a requirement, we've always found that our 55" Bimini is too short...we live in the punishing summers of SC and more shade is important. I've found a Carver Bimini that is 72"...has anyone tried a bigger Bimini and been successful.
BTW, this is a great forum with TONS of useful info.

Delaney

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I am in Greenville and have a 190 tournament. Where do you live?

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Paul - a current thread on the bang plate linked below.

Reactions: atlgrady

Paulb4333

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Paul - a current thread on the bang plate linked below.

Very helpful. Thank you!

Reactions: atlgrady

seasick

Reaction score
The bang plate or transom cap is not the real issue or concern. The issue is possible water in the transom coring causing rot and/or delamination. In your case, a marine survey might be a good idea just in case there are major ( expensive) repairs needed. Many of the concerns you mentioned are somewhat trivial and mostly cosmetic. It's the not so obvious things that can get ya.
Another concern of mine is if you are looking at a 6 cyl 200 4 stroke, it will add extra weight at the back and that may cause issues, potentially with the scuppers sitting lower than they do now and that leading to water flooding the deck especially when you carry a load like the family. A 4 CYL inline 200 is a better match but will cost decent money and again, is it worth it?.
You have some homework to do and I expect folks will offer their experiences and opinions. The more you know, the better your choices will be.

Reactions: Paulb4333

Paulb4333

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I was also concerned about the weight of a 200HP 4 Stroke, in line 4. From the info I could find, the 150 Yamaha and the 200 are about the same weight at 489#. Per my manual, my 200HP Yamaha 2 stroke weighs 476. I was pretty surprised there was only a 13# difference. And you are absolutely right about working about the scuppers and extra weight.. It's going to cost me around $19K for a new engine installed. The prices for new Grady's (if you can get one) are out of sight. I'd love a new boat, but the prospect of spending $60-$70-$80K keeps me thinking about re-powering. I can probably get $3-4K for my old engine from one of the crabbers around here. The existing engine runs well and I've done a lot of repairs already. But the idea of getting stuck (again) with my family due to an engine issue, leads me to do something... Not an easy decision since as one of my friends says I "like bright, shiny, new things"

seasick

Reaction score
Yes the inline weighs close to the older 2 stroke. It is a good repower option for older. I wasn't sure if you were looking at an I4 or a used 6 cyl It seems like you are doing your homework. Good luck.
By the way, impellers can go bad on new motors too:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you are unsure, see if you can get a survey done as well as a prioritized list of updates so you have a solid start point. The biggest thing is the hull. If transom is solid, other than the motor all the items are fairly inexpensive to execute. You need to ensure she has good bones, then it is much easier to bring her back.

erusk

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I was also concerned about the weight of a 200HP 4 Stroke, in line 4. From the info I could find, the 150 Yamaha and the 200 are about the same weight at 489#. Per my manual, my 200HP Yamaha 2 stroke weighs 476. I was pretty surprised there was only a 13# difference. And you are absolutely right about working about the scuppers and extra weight.. It's going to cost me around $19K for a new engine installed. The prices for new Grady's (if you can get one) are out of sight. I'd love a new boat, but the prospect of spending $60-$70-$80K keeps me thinking about re-powering. I can probably get $3-4K for my old engine from one of the crabbers around here. The existing engine runs well and I've done a lot of repairs already. But the idea of getting stuck (again) with my family due to an engine issue, leads me to do something... Not an easy decision since as one of my friends says I "like bright, shiny, new things"
Did you end up repowering your 192 with a 200hp 4stroke? If so is weight an issue and how does it run now?