2001 226 trim tabs

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I discovered that my trim tabs are not working. 1st questions ... are they electric or hydraulic? I can’t locate a reservoir.

2nd. Where the heck is the pump or solenoid located? I can clearly hear it, but can’t locate it.

Can hear the motor run , but no action on the tabs.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 226 and I believe the pump is in the cabin on the starboard side in one of the compartments under the cushions.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks... I’ll take a look

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Once you find it and verify that the reservoir is empty (and filling it fixes the issue)... the next step is to find the leak as that fluid had to have gone somewhere. The most common leak is at the nipple where the line goes through the transom - often presenting as a leak on the inside. Next would be on the outside hyd ram.

Just to rule out a mechanical issue, push down on the tab - it takes some force, but you don't need to be Superman. Don't worry - you won't damage anything. You're just verifying that they physically move.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Dennis, thanks good info. I was afraid to manually push down on tabs.

Gatordoc

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My trim tabs don't move unless the motors are running. I thought that was odd. Even if the ignition is switched on, the tabs won't move unless the engine is actually running.

bFransen

Reaction score
I've got a 2003 228. The tabs work whether the engine is running or not. My switches went bad and needed to be replaced. If it's the pump, that's the costlier of the system parts. If your fluid is leaking then you should have a bunch of red fluid in the bilge or leaking out the rams on the transom. It could just be low, but the fluid is a closed system so it is doubtful that it needs fluid without something being wrong.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So.... I’ve ruled out leaks in the system ( inside the boat) As it is a closed system. I’ve not ruled out leaks in the Rams, but the system appears to be full. I’ve not tested while the motor is running in the slip. You guys have been a big help so far.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
All fixed. Found a loose connection. Functioning properly now. Does NOT work while motor is off

Gatordoc

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I wonder why your trim tabs like mine will only work when the motors are running? Are they wired directly from the alternator and not from the batteries? It sounds like some boats have tabs that will work when the motors are off. Anyone have an answer for this?