2001 Grady White Seafarer 226

MaritimeMan

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Thankful I've found this forum as it seems like a tremendous resource.

Was hoping to get some advice on how to better understand if the price of a boat through a broker is a good deal, or, if it should be negotiated. Looking at 2001 Grady White Seafarer, original power and no trailer. This will be my first boat and I plan on having a thorough survey on whatever I end up with. I know the basics to look for such as flex in the transom, soft spots, obvious hull damage, delamination, moisture intrusion and compression on the cylinders but will definitely be relying on an expert to help.

Any resources as to where I can go to understand if a price is considered fair? No trailer with this particular boat which is a turnoff, so I'm hoping the price can be negotiated down to purchase a new one if its something we like.

Much appreciate the help in advance!

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

I think the only way you can judge if the price is fair is to find other examples of that boat for sale and compare price, condition, options/equipment, etc.

For example: the following listing seems like a fair price. I say "seems", because I am assuming it would survey well and the motor is a 2015. Further, $25k doesn't go terribly far in today's boating world, so it seems like a decent deal.

You are doing the smart thing by getting a survey.

You might want to post a link to the boat you are considering, because it might garner more responses.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I just replaced the motor on my 2001 because of bad compression in a cylinder (after being told that it wasn't worth repairing the 20+ year old engine). My engine was a 150 HPDI. Checking the compression and assuring that it's in solid shape with reasonable hours would be a good place to start since that's an expensive replacement. And a survey to cover the other items you mentioned is also critical. Also agree with JJF's comments above regarding comparison shopping online.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd shop around on the sites like boat trader. There are no good deals on boats. You may find a private party that is looking to get out and price aggressively. No dealer and most owners are going to want to get market price. So much depends on condition, maintenance, systems updates etc. Get a survey. A good surveyor that is looking at a lot of boats (has the pulse of the market) and knows boats (can assess the one you are looking at) can be a great resource to keep you away from an over priced or something that is going to need a lot of work.