2002 282 Sailfish re-power question

bc282

Reaction score
hi guys,
looking like its finally time to repower the Sailfish.
Currently have Yami F225's (2002 vintage) with about 1200 hours.
Looking at either new Yamaha F250's with fly by wire controls or Suzuki DF250's or even the DF300's (only Cdn$1600 more).
Not looking for debate on Yami vs Zukes.
Anyone run a 282 with 300's? if so what kind of added performance if any?
I'm 1000 miles from my boat, can someone confirm the maximum HP for the vessel? 500? 600?
cheers.

Reactions: Lsquared

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looking at some old Grady literature, looks like 2001-2008, 282 Sailfish, 600 was the HP rating.

Screenshot_20190903-130208_Drive.jpg

Reactions: HTHM

Fishtales

Reaction score
max hp was 500 early in the model year. it changed at some point to 600. check your year.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Being able to acquire insurance is the biggest issue. Is a '02 transom strong enough for today's 300 HP four strokes? Being overpowered and you have an accident, a savy lawyer will hang you out to dry. Just a few issues I can think of right now.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
2002 Brochure. Even the Marlin 300 was rated at 500HP.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-10-16 094512.jpg
    Annotation 2019-10-16 094512.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 12

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is it possible that 300 HP engines were not around in 2002. As far as the difference between the 250 and 300 on a Sailfish I don't have an answer. I did repower my 2004 3 years with Yamaha 250 upgrading from 225's . The power and speed difference is remarkable with the 250, although I never had an issue with speed or power with the 225's. My issue for the upgrade was the exhaust corrosion which spread into the block. My Sailfish can do 50 MPH which is honestly to fast for me in most sea conditions. Not sure you need that extra 100 HP with the 300's. I have never seen a Sailfish equipped with 300's - Good luck with your choice!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Insurance is one concern. It wouldn't be good if somehow it was discovered to be overpowered and you had to somehow explain it.
Worse would be if you ever had a transom fail, I'm sure some would try to wiggle out paying for it. The absolute worse thing is if you ever had an accident. A chiseler would try to make the case that you were neglectful or willful and some how cast a bad light on your character.

Correct that many hulls were 500hp. The transom was strengthened for the 300hp motor on both models when it came out.

bc282

Reaction score
thanks guys for the insight.
Boat sitting at dealer 1000 miles from me, mechanic informed me today that hull rated for 600hp.
so option for twin 300 is on the table and for $1600 likely the way to go.
Mechanic also stated that boats can be "over-powered" by 15% without insurance issues. Not sure what insurance companies may say south of the border but said that is the norm up here. Had the boat been rated for 500, 600 obviously more than 15% and would not have been an option. The Zuke 250's are a detuned 300's.
Scratching the idea of adding Optimus 360 as well but awaiting a quote before deciding (unlikely as was warned its very pricey option at around Cdn$25-30k+), but would be super cool for bottom fishing. Not sure i'd make up in savings from not loosing as many jigs using Optimus 360 to the bottom but maybe make it up in catching bigger and more fish!

I think i'll email Grady White to see if the added power and weight of the Zuke 250/300's at about 100-120# total heavier will compromise the transom on the 2002 282.

bc282

Reaction score
got a response from Grady White factory. Was informed that they have only tested the boat with Yami power and unable to say how additional weight may adversely effect the boat if i went to Zuke 300's. Not the answer i wanted but understand their position and appreciate the reply.
The boat is rated (so stated on the capacity plate) for 600hp.
mid next week the dealer will be finished the re-power from F225's to DF300's which are fly by wire.
Heading to the coast after its done to sea trail and check in on my coastal property.
will post pics and update after sea trial.

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'll be looking forward to hearing your performance numbers. I have a 2006 sailfish and am looking to repower in the near future. I have the 250hp Yamahas currently, but I can't find anything on a sailfish with 300s.

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Good call on the twin 300’s just cuz you have the power doesn’t mean your going to beat on the boat I have twin 300 on my 26.5 express and I have it insured and it’s way better on fuel when your over powered and doing 3800 rpm not 4800 to do the same speed. Over power is the way to go. People seem scared to over power there boats not like your out there jumping the thing on nice days it’s unreal to do 58mph and enjoy the hp.

Deep Blue

Reaction score
hi guys,
looking like its finally time to repower the Sailfish.
Currently have Yami F225's (2002 vintage) with about 1200 hours.
Looking at either new Yamaha F250's with fly by wire controls or Suzuki DF250's or even the DF300's (only Cdn$1600 more).
Not looking for debate on Yami vs Zukes.
Anyone run a 282 with 300's? if so what kind of added performance if any?
I'm 1000 miles from my boat, can someone confirm the maximum HP for the vessel? 500? 600?
cheers.
This is an older thread, but worth a shot - why are you repowering after only 1200 hours? I'm assuming there's some sort of corrosion damage.

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Yamaha 4.2L 250 hp has 300 hp power head is what I was told, you get all lower end just lose a little
on top. No problem getting insurance you are max hp, the motors are also about 35 lbs less .

bc282

Reaction score
long over due update:
Mid January the 282 was re-powered from 2002 F225s to Suzuki DF300's!
new gauges, controls and motors and into the world of fly-by-wire!
the throttles are touchy especially coming from friction cable controls but know i will prefer them to the old. just some time needed to adjust.

The good news and bad news . . .
Good: awesome acceleration! I never had issue even fully loaded getting the boat on plane but with the new 600hp its effortless and really throws you back in your seat. I had to a couple times for shiz and giggles push the sticks down but found easing the throttles to 3000+ rpm will easily and smoothly put the boat on plane (med heavy load: 4 guys full fuel). Top speed is much improved as formerly around 36-37 knots loaded; with the new power and engines not broken in yet saw 44+ knots (med heavy load).

Cruise speed and efficiency is only minority better (kinda disappointed). motors seem to prefer 4000 rpm cruise with pushes the boat at 28 knots burning about 19gph for about 1.5mpg (pretty good). I was hoping for a cruise around 26-28 knots but burn 13-16 gph. May need to play around with the engine trim more to see better numbers. The F225 yami's were not to finicky on trim, but the new Zukes seem to like more trim than the yamis.

The new gauges are really nice and have much more info at your finger tips and can display more info at once. I got the std 2 square digital gauges which can show fuel level (simultaneous show both tanks but you still have to manually throw the fuel selector valves located under aft bench), flow, economy, hours, oil temp, voltage, speed, etc.). My old yami round gauges didn't show engine oil temp, only when it hit high alarm did it sound and flash--nice to see it coming rather than engine self-shutting down due to a clog fr seaweed or such). Also with the gauges is 'troll mode' which allows easy tap increments of 50 rpm up or down. As a PacNW salmon troller, this is a great feature. The push button start is nice but not a game changer, the key simply is required to turn the gauges ON and as a physical security measure.

The black motors look darn good hanging off the 282 and they look slimmer and there is noticeably more space between the motors.

The cons/bad news . . .
Twin DF300's with new gauges and controls cost a truck load of cash . . . ouch, especially since i wasn't planning for such.

twin Zukes are about 100-120 pounds combined heavier than the F225's which they replaced, but really not discernible at the water line nor felt during any boating.

i may get used to it but i kinda liked the noise/sound of the yami's a bit better than these here zukes.

Dealer may adjust and increase the engine tilt upper limit as the motor skegs currently sit 8+ inches in water tilted up. Dealer said it can be adjusted but wonder how much more without 'crushing' the cables coming out of the front. The Zukes sit further forward on its motor mounts compared to most and in fact the drive shaft is offset from the motor and uses a gear up top. This offset forward does a couple things: moves centre mass of power head further over transom (imo a good thing), introduces a gear which allows a different final gear ratio at the lower end allowing to spin a larger prop (generally a good thing).

the primary water nose cone intake makes using muffs difficult. Dealer chooses to duct tapes over the front intakes and then use regular muffs to run engines on land or to flush. Suzuki needs to make a flush unit specifically for these motors.

i may need to play with engine trim more but motors seem happier and sound better at 4000 rpm than say 3500 or 3700. Trying to save fuel but the new motors seem to want to boogie faster.

Side note:
looks like i have sold the boat. As much as i'd like to enjoy it with the fresh power, i've had an itch for a while and will be looking for a larger boat very soon. The new owner will be getting a better than average condition boat with new power 6 years warranty, and freshly serviced and tired 3-axle alum trailer ready for this season.

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Love the new Zukes.....burning 1.8 at Cruise. Found we had to trim up quite a bit higher than our old Yammie 250s. Better burn and faster at cruise is what we gained.new engines in water3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: SkunkBoat

bc282

Reaction score
1.8? that's fantastic. i think the added trim is indeed the ticket.
boat looks good!
i opted for the black coloured zukes.
curious, what prop did you go with?

will miss that boat . . . on to the search for the next ride for myself