2003 282 Windlass Question

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello, I have a 2003 GW Sailfish 282. Bough it used 2 years ago and love it. I don't use the Windlass much but when I do, someone always has to go forward when I drop it to give it a push to get it to fall. It seems like there is too much weight aft that won't let it fall by itself.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

JRuss282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sir, mine does the same... Sometimes I think I ring it up too tight. I did loosen the bolt on the rubber rolley thingy - thinking it would help, but not much. Maybe I will try some type of lubricant but that will probably just get gummed up with sea spray.

Its kind of a pain in the azz, normally send one of the kids up too kick it when we get close which is whatever but when I'm alone now I have to leave the helm. In the end probably better then having to toss it over and retrieve by hand.

seasick

Reaction score
It may help when you go out to give the chain a bit of slack, then on the ride out, drive over a few wakes or waves to shake the rigging. That may cause the anchor to loosen a tad.
This problem is common. In cases where there isn't a pulpit, a hinged anchor roller can help the anchor deploy on its own without a shove.
Changing the anchor from one with a straight shaft to one with a bent shaft like a delta style may also help. The bent arm may also help with pulpits with fixed rollers.

Last edited:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I went from the Delta anchor to the Mantus and it self launches every time and so far has held better. It is irritating when it does not drop when needed so have been much happier with the Mantus.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

JRuss282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well that's interesting... Pictures? I may make a change, maybe I'm lazy but the friking thing should drop when deployed in my eyes. What's the use then? Just as a retriever. I can see first time out and things are a little dry and gummed up but once that's over the anchor should just drop!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well that's interesting... Pictures? I may make a change, maybe I'm lazy but the friking thing should drop when deployed in my eyes. What's the use then? Just as a retriever. I can see first time out and things are a little dry and gummed up but once that's over the anchor should just drop!
Keep in mind that not all anchors work with all anchor rollers. It could just be that you have the wrong anchor for your roller. In that case, the ideas of letting out a bit of slack just before anchoring are good ones - let the anchor "wiggle" it's way loose as the boat moves around. You could try adding some lead weight to the anchor in a key area... adding a raised "scuff guard" under the shank of the anchor... maybe even changing the size of the roller. All three of those are easy enough to experiment with without even buying anything.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This won't help you much, but posting just to provide another data point. i have a 2008 282 Sailfish and the anchor drops by itself every time. Maybe GW changed the anchors, rollers or mounting setup between the years?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This won't help you much, but posting just to provide another data point. i have a 2008 282 Sailfish and the anchor drops by itself every time. Maybe GW changed the anchors, rollers or mounting setup between the years?
And/or... since the boat is 2 decades old... who knows how many previous owners it has had and what has been changed.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Now my son has moved away, I got a remote for the Lewmar so I can operate it from the bow, and give it a kick if it sticks at deployment. I also try to not retrieve it all the way tight. It is a 14# Lewmar 'plow-type'. If I were able to do it again, I'd figure out how to add more space between the windlass and the anchor roller. Probably put the windlass further back, on the anchor locker (instead of forward of it).
Lastly, I know not related to chain, but I changed from 3-strand to braided anchor line, and it lays much better into the anchor locker.
Have fun.

Attachments

• 18932.jpeg
    18932.jpeg
    661.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 18934.jpeg
    18934.jpeg
    985.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 18936.jpeg
    18936.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Reactions: A&J Outdoors

JRuss282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The anchor I have is A Delta it came with the boat, I don't know the size it has all marking worn off. I'm going to get a bigger Anchor for two reasons, one maybe it will drop, 2 I due have problems on windy days with the Anchor dragging, maybe this happens all the time but I think one a little larger would help us hold on those days

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine requires a 'shove' as well. It's likely the same Delta that you have. My 11 year old comes in handy for the task. I've heard some guys have wrapped lead around that round bar that goes between the two 'wings' of the delta and it has made them self-deploy. I may get to it some day and experiment, but it's task #481 on my long list of to-do's around here.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had the 17# and went to the 22#. Added the led. Some improvement in the 22#, but still would just sit there sometimes. Do yourself a favor and get a Mantus. It has self launched every time and has not failed to anchor the first time where I had issues many times with the delta. Just my experiences with all my experimentation and time!

JRuss282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok so being the dumb one of the group let me add two more question's. One my anchor does not have a swivel and my line is always getting twisted and the chain so just bought one "Duh" probably should have always had that. Also on my pulpit I have these little things not cleats but an area to maybe put the rope in while anchored instead of on the system. Anyone?

Fishtales

Reaction score
When bringing up don't hold it tight with the windlass. Use a short line to loop thru the anchor and tie to the cleats. You can untie the line and let the anchor down a bit then work it via the windlass. Best not to use the windlass to hold the anchor tight anyway. Don't forget to use the anchor safety as well.

JRuss282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I added a new anchor 16.5 lbs and a swivel. The twist seems to have corrected it self, test in the wind and tide the new anchor holds good. Still will not drop without a push, the rubber roller works fine, I tried playing out a few inches hoping it would drop prior to getting in location but still hangs on the bow.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you install a larger diameter roller it will cause your anchor to sit further forward on the pulpit. The point of balance on the anchor will be farther forward in relation to the rotation point which is the bolt through the roller. A roller that is 2 inches bigger in diameter will cause the anchor to sit 1 inch farther forward. A 4-inch bigger roller will move the anchor 2 inches further forward from the bolt pivot point.