2005 - 306 Bimini Repower

Billybaroo62

Reaction score
I am a fairly new Grady-White boat owner (1year) and love my Bimini....unfortunately my 225 Yamaha's need to be replaced. In South Florida where I live.....I see almost every GW powered with Yamaha's....I see a lot of other boats powered with Suzuki's......can anyone tell me why I shouldn't consider 300 Suzuki's....its at least $12,000 less and offers a 6 year warranty vs. 3 for the Yamaha's. I am also new to this forum......so thanks in advance for the help!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Suzuki pretty much owns the re-power market in my area. Most of the guides who aren't on a boat replacement program with a boat manufacturer re-power with Suzuki. The price differential is the biggest reason, but the engines are pretty nice. They are just as sophisticated as Yamaha if not more so. Service can be an issue in some areas and the 6 year warranty is not really a factory program, so some folks run into problems. Some of the guides who run daily trips to the Florida Middle Grounds running flat out all the way have blow up a couple of 300 Suzukis. Incorrect propping could have been the cause but any brand will show a higher incidence of failure when they are pushed to the limit.

Performance and fuel economy is about the same as the Yamaha 300.

I have a little 40 hp Suzuki on my Carolina Skiff that is 14 years old. I like it. I've never had a problem except for the impeller loosing a fin that took a lot of work to flush out of the engine.

MA208

Reaction score
Why do they need replacing? Perhaps a rebuild if they're not shot?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Rebuilding or replacing a short block on an outboard that is used in saltwater really only makes sense if the engine is fairly new (less than 6 years old) or if you can't come up with the funds for a full repower. Other things beside the powerhead start to fail as engines get older. Corrosion, electrical issues, and problems with the tilt and trim can make an older rebuilt engine very expensive.

New engines with warranties are usually a better investment.