2005 330 Express New to me- a NEWBIE to here

Stick Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Coming from a 55' Hatteras down to the 330 was a scary thought, but wanted a outboard boat for Bahamas instead of inboard plus smaller for me to handle by my self, and a lot less draft yet able to fish open Atlantic water and travel island to island with Bride.
Left Miami Feb 2 to go to Spanish Wells Bahamas, 217 miles-9 hours. Unbelievable boat to say the least! WOW! 2-250 Yam's, Genie, Lee Outriggers, survey said boat had not been fished hardly at all! NEVER expected this to turn out so Good! spent 3 days , well you know what we do to new boats to us! Only thing I am having trouble with is the updated chip for Bahamas for the Raymarine C80, exchanging chip and try again. Otherwise may be a upgrade insight. I have read several threads and have already learn valuable info about the boat, Thanks to ALL!
Yes, I prefer Marlin Fishing and Wahoo, Tuna, and Dolphin as by catch to fill the freezer. Also deep dropping and sword fishing.
In Tx we go 100+ miles before stopping to fish, Bahamas I go 6 miles minimum to start fishing!

Any suggestions on Electronics upgrades would be appreciated.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Glad to see you are happy. The newer chirp/side scan sounder and improved radar are all pretty nice. I'd get what you are most comfortable with. I have the 12 and 9" old E-series. The new Axiom Raymarine stuff looks good. Check BOE Marine on the web out.

Last edited:

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Coming from a 55' Hatteras down to the 330 was a scary thought, but wanted a outboard boat for Bahamas instead of inboard plus smaller for me to handle by my self, and a lot less draft yet able to fish open Atlantic water and travel island to island with Bride.
Left Miami Feb 2 to go to Spanish Wells Bahamas, 217 miles-9 hours. Unbelievable boat to say the least! WOW! 2-250 Yam's, Genie, Lee Outriggers, survey said boat had not been fished hardly at all! NEVER expected this to turn out so Good! spent 3 days , well you know what we do to new boats to us! Only thing I am having trouble with is the updated chip for Bahamas for the Raymarine C80, exchanging chip and try again. Otherwise may be a upgrade insight. I have read several threads and have already learn valuable info about the boat, Thanks to ALL!
Yes, I prefer Marlin Fishing and Wahoo, Tuna, and Dolphin as by catch to fill the freezer. Also deep dropping and sword fishing.
In Tx we go 100+ miles before stopping to fish, Bahamas I go 6 miles minimum to start fishing!

Any suggestions on Electronics upgrades would be appreciated.

You are one of the rare guys who feels nervous about going "down" to a 330 Express! I was nervous about going to such a beast when I bought mine! Sounds like the same result for both of us though, it's a great boat! Fair winds, following seas, and tight lines. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new rig.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
welcome - love hearing about that boat. Was wondering how the 36 with wide spread engine and thruster compares to the 55' Hatteras when backing into a slip.

Stick Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
can't speak on how the 36 compares myself, I can say my 330 , it has wide spread motors and no bow thruster and with a little more practice is manageable, Hat is easier at idle backing in, a lot more DAR on 34'' dia props and a lot slower rotation, jerks when just engaging throttles compared to barely noticing engagement in 330. bow thruster probably a good option

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I don't have a bow thruster either and the bow of the 330 is a big sail. Just takes practice and use of differential thrust to make it do what you want. I would have liked to have a bow thruster though, would make it a lot less stressful on a windy day in tight quarters.

Stick Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I agree, The 330 is for what I want/need is GREAT. I had to take it out in rough seas, could not find video in rough water before I purchased. 3-4 with 5s thrown in 4 secs, no backs, 8 knots trolling no problem, never ponded falling gently off back sides, then smooth 18 knots back in, could have gone a little faster, but the ride was very good at 18 quarter head sea, very little spray only from the strong winds.

Backing into slip using differential thrust I agree, just need more practice, doesn't respond like Hat did but handles well.

Any body make it to Spanish Wells BHS and need a slip, let me know, I have docks in muddy hole on Russell island

Stampr

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just put 300 zukes with jackplates and 4 blade props , 9 people and had wot at 36 knts