2006 F250 Exhaust Question

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
My exhaust at idle does not have water coming out of it. When I am at the dock at rpm speed (revving the engine) i notice that there is water that is coming out of the exhaust. When I am underway, there is no water coming out of the exhaust.

What is the norm?

I think there is too much info out on the interwebs for a non mechanical person to have a full understanding of what should and shouldn't be happening. Can someone give me a flavor of what to expect or what should vs. shouldn't be happening?

Thanks!
Ian

seasick

Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by the 'exhaust'. The exhaust comes down the mid section exhaust tube and is eventually mixed with cooling water. The exhaust and water exits through the prop so I don't understand why you say it doesn't when underway. Its under water.
Cooling water is also expelled through several other openings.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm betting he's referring to the pee hole..the "telltale."

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Let me try to clarify my first post. I know that there is exhaust out of the prop...but I am talking about the little back "exhaust" on this picture circled in red. Let me know if that helps to clarify!InkedYamaha F250_LI.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Are you talking about the dump port or the hole where the telltale 'pee stream' comes out of. Also are you referring to no water or no steam or smoke?

seasick

Reaction score
If you used to see water and 'steam' come out of that port at times but don't now, it could be an indication that you have exhaust or oil pan corrosion and exhaust water is flowing where it normally doesn't go. Perhaps others with more experience with that motor will have some insight.
Am I correct in assuming that the telltale is peeing normally and the motor is not overheating? Have you checked you oil level to make sure it isn't getting higher?

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
If you used to see water and 'steam' come out of that port at times but don't now, it could be an indication that you have exhaust or oil pan corrosion and exhaust water is flowing where it normally doesn't go. Perhaps others with more experience with that motor will have some insight.
Am I correct in assuming that the telltale is peeing normally and the motor is not overheating? Have you checked you oil level to make sure it isn't getting higher?
Yes, the tell tale pee hole is working just fine...steady stream and is not intermittent.

Before I bought this boat, it was scoped for corrosion by tri-state marine - no issues found. I have the carbon copy from them (it was scoped by taking the lower off in May 2020)

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Are you talking about the dump port or the hole where the telltale 'pee stream' comes out of. Also are you referring to no water or no steam or smoke?
The dump port hole I believe is what is circled. In neutral there is very little water being spit out of it. At higher rpms it is spitting out a lot more.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's basically a pressure relief port that lets you start and idle your engine at a standstill. Water and exhaust should only come out when you are not moving or idling in reverse. When the boat is moving forward, the exhaust and most of the cooling water is scavenged out through the propeller hub.

Reactions: igblack87

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
That's basically a pressure relief port that lets you start and idle your engine at a standstill. Water and exhaust should only come out when you are not moving or idling in reverse. When the boat is moving forward, the exhaust and most of the cooling water is scavenged out through the propeller hub.
This is good info. So I would see water coming out of it while I am revving the engine in my slip but wouldnt see or shouldnt see water coming out of it while underway.

seasick

Reaction score
If the flow through the prop is less than the output of the water pump, eventually water will dump out that port so Doc's explanation seems logical

I guess the one key question is whether your motor always acted that way or this is something new.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
If the flow through the prop is less than the output of the water pump, eventually water will dump out that port so Doc's explanation seems logical

I guess the one key question is whether your motor always acted that way or this is something new.
Its been like that ever since I owned it. Was taken great care of by Tri-State Marine in MD and I spoke with a shop tech about its maintenance records. I had my own shop in Duxbury, MA check it out and water test it...said it ran great.

Its the fact that there is so much stuff out their about corrosion/225/250's having issues that I wanted to ask the question to a broader audience since im not a mechanical person at all.

seasick

Reaction score
Since it has been like that all along and since it was scoped, I would look for something else to worry about:)

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have the exact same engines - 2006 F250s with manufacture date of March 2006. I get the same thing from those ports. Always the case.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I have the exact same engines - 2006 F250s with manufacture date of March 2006. I get the same thing from those ports. Always the case.
I’m glad to hear that. Makes me feel comfortable that it’s a “normal” thing.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My former 2007 F250 also behaved that way.

But one of the symptoms of a corroded mid section is A LOT of water and exhaust coming out of that port.