2009 330 Pompanette Helm Seat mods

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
So, Love my 330, but guests see to hate maneuvering past the helm seat to get to the cabin. Has anyone found a solution to get the help seat to slide farther forward, or preferably obtain more fore-aft travel. I would love if it could travel forward maybe 6" to get closer to helm, and allow more access. I realize I could move the pedestal forward, but then I have to deal with filling the holes in the floor. Just curious.1585445731250.jpeg

Fishtales

Reaction score
The only thing that I can come up with is an adapter plate. You would have 8 mount points (2 forward, 2 aft and 2 each side currently unused.)
Then drop the rails down and mount into a plate that has the same hole pattern that you have to accept the 2 rods that the seat slides on.
In the front direction you could pick up the cushion overhang thickness, but this is the wrong direction. Hard to see how much room you have aft to pick up on the seat.
Given all this, maybe the best move is to move the seat mount and have someone professionally address the holes.

Reactions: themikehyde

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
See if I'm thinking straight here... even if you figure out some type of adapter plate or something, the pole is still where it is. This means that some portion of the plate or existing seat base is still going to be where it is. You can't slide anything further forward than the post - there's still going to be something pretty much where it is, now.

If you don't want to deal with filling holes, just cut a piece of 1/4" starboard as a cover plate. To make it a little more seamless, make the cover plate large enough to also go under the post base in the new position. Cut it aesthetically pleasing, and it will look very good. You could use seafoam color... even black would probably look fine.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thinking out loud...
First...wow that is one fancy chair!!!

Get a newer fancy chair with a fold up bolster
flip it up
Spin the chair around to get around it easier

then sell me that fancy chair ....really cheap....

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
I want to thank everyone for the input. I meant measure the distance between the back slider mount and the back of the chair. I think its only like 4", which may not gain me enough, but will check. I may end top movinhgthe post forward, and like the starboard idea. I would love tp find a seat where the back fold flat forward, as well as reclines like this one. Then we could use it as a table when not underway. It would be easier than manhandling that seat up on the dash.

Thanks,
Mike

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was wrestling with the captains chair on mine which is a 2002 disaster, and while I was doing some work in the cockpit I found it much easier to just remove the chair entirely. Frankly while plan A was to buy a fancy $2000 seat, plan B might be to just buy a small butt-sized leaning post. I'm used to center consoles so typically I stand when at the helm anyway, and if I want to sit while trolling etc I can always plant myself on the side seating and let the autopilot keep me straight.

I ran across this, price a little high but I'm kind of coming around to the idea.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I want to thank everyone for the input. I meant measure the distance between the back slider mount and the back of the chair. I think its only like 4", which may not gain me enough, but will check. I may end top movinhgthe post forward, and like the starboard idea. I would love tp find a seat where the back fold flat forward, as well as reclines like this one. Then we could use it as a table when not underway. It would be easier than manhandling that seat up on the dash.

Thanks,
Mike
If you move the post, your "all the way back" will be 6" forward too.
You will have the chair rubbing your legs when you are standing and driving.
I know because my chair was broken and bolted in the forward position.

Jtsheffy

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Any suggestions on Helm Seat replacements for an Express 330? The only “Grady White” ones I can find are on eBay.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Maybe investigate a small lean post and a quick disconnect method for current chair and post. Yea, it kind blows to have to perform a swap but you would have one solution for cruising and fishing and another for entertaining. Store the chair (on board or off) when not required and when you want more room. Just a thought.