2023 Dockage Rates

Fishtales

Reaction score
How are folks finding dockage pricing for the 2023 season?

I was in the same marina in Marshfield MA (Safe Harbor Green Harbor) for 22 years. Prior to Safe Harbor I thought the rate was competitive for the south shore of Boston. To their credit, Safe Harbor did do a lot of work to the place but the rates just kept going up. I ended up joining a yacht club last year and used a mooring to see if we'd like it as well as a venue change.

Will be on a hook for a few years till a slip opens up. 2023 rate was $240 per foot (summer dockage only, $230 if I chose to store it there) vs $38 at the club. My kids live in the city now and don't get to the south shore as much and the wife and I wanted a change of venue - south shore is nice but after 20 years.... Being just outside Boston Harbor will allow us to explore Boston to Hingham more as well as Salem, Rockport and ports of the North Shore. Will miss having the boat 3 minutes from the summer place, but just couldn't justify the cost.
It will make boating more intentional for us which I'm hoping will make it better for us.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

I am in Gloucester, MA. My slip went up by $5 per foot (from $180 to $185). I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't go up more given inflation.

seasick

Reaction score
In addition to increases in everything, the demand for dockage jumped during the pandemic. So you have both inflationary increase and supply and demand factors. One Another item that may have significant impact is insurance costs, not the boat owner rates (which continue to increase due to the increase due to weather related claims) but the marina insurance rates.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Yup.

However, I am fortunate in that I don't feel my marina is taking advantage of the shortage of slips.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks like you have some very reasonable pricing for your dockage. Hope the big guys don't buy up more marinas on the north shore (like they did on the south shore) and drive pricing. If I stayed, I'd be looking at $8+K for my boat to sit at the dock in 2023. Just excessive if you ask me, but folks seem to be ok paying the rate.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

It's not so much that they are ok paying the rate, so much as there is no alternative in many cases. Not complaining; just reality. I agree with the corporates buying up marinas, but the "market" is the "market".

In my case, towing would not be an option. Towing 10,000 lbs would require a big truck and trailer which would add to my insurances, 10' 7" beam requires a permit and wide load signage, I would always have to have another person with me, etc., etc. Also, it would greatly reduce how often I could get out.

J

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,

It's not so much that they are ok paying the rate, so much as there is no alternative in many cases. Not complaining; just reality. I agree with the corporates buying up marinas, but the "market" is the "market".

In my case, towing would not be an option. Towing 10,000 lbs would require a big truck and trailer which would add to my insurances, 10' 7" beam requires a permit and wide load signage, I would always have to have another person with me, etc., etc. Also, it would greatly reduce how often I could get out.

J
Agree, I swallowed hard and paid for 5 years under the new management, but the price kept going up and up. I finally felt I needed to make a change as it was starting to bother me from a value perspective. Towing is not an option for me either. The new place is 40 minutes away by boat so it isn't a problem - just a longer ride in the spring and fall (which I really don't mind at all).

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
On Lake Champlain I will pay the minimum $3300 for a slip (approx $108/ft). Electrical an extra $350 from mid May to mid October. I have 1/2 ownership in a mooring in my bay but it faces the hard south winds and waves so hardly use. Marina has newly renovated club house and offers services if needed. Great ownership and membership. Approximately three miles from home and eight miles by water to my fishing area.

Fishtales

Reaction score
On Lake Champlain I will pay the minimum $3300 for a slip (approx $108/ft). Electrical an extra $350 from mid May to mid October. I have 1/2 ownership in a mooring in my bay but it faces the hard south winds and waves so hardly use. Marina has newly renovated club house and offers services if needed. Great ownership and membership. Approximately three miles from home and eight miles by water to my fishing area.
Sounds great. I had the same arrangement but at a price of 2.5X yours. Just didn't see the value at that price point.

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just an observation. I guess if you want to go boating with a 'docked' boat, you just got to decide it costs a lot. We have lots of time, retired, so we go out whenever the weather and seas cooperate on Cape Cod, Nantucket side. Last summer we put on about 125 hrs in 35 odd trips over the summer, into October. What sort of amazes me, is the number of boats who seem to never go out. Maybe a few times over the summer? Thousands of dollars in fees and a maybe a handful of outings? Talking to the guys on our dock our observations of the not much use by many people is confirmed. Must be nice to have a boat sit in a slip all summer for 2 or 3 trips.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree it costs a lot especially since a few large corporations have been acquiring independent yards thus driving price. I also agree it is a decision. That being said, the cost has been rising significantly and pushing the working person out. I'm working because I want to (don't need to and have the money), but I just didn't see the value anymore and feel I was being gouged by companies that have the leverage due to little competition.
Glad I found a reasonably priced yacht club and will spend the rest of my boating days there where the value is much better. Just feel for the younger generation as many will be priced out and never enjoy the experience. In the end, it will damage the industry for those to control it - short term gain, long term destruction. We'll see.

Fishtales

Reaction score
My visit to the NE Boat Show today confirms my opinion... Prices are up big time. Better take a shot at the meme stocks or bitcoin if you are an average working guy looking for a new boat!

Reactions: GypsyRover

pessacake

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
All snatched up by a couple of big guys. 250+ in quincy, hingham, hull. I went yacht club route as well. There is a tiny place by the weymouth/braintree landing called thayer's landing that is cheap but seldom anything available.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree it costs a lot especially since a few large corporations have been acquiring independent yards thus driving price. I also agree it is a decision. That being said, the cost has been rising significantly and pushing the working person out. I'm working because I want to (don't need to and have the money), but I just didn't see the value anymore and feel I was being gouged by companies that have the leverage due to little competition.
Glad I found a reasonably priced yacht club and will spend the rest of my boating days there where the value is much better. Just feel for the younger generation as many will be priced out and never enjoy the experience. In the end, it will damage the industry for those to control it - short term gain, long term destruction. We'll see.
It's not just boating, take your kids to a ball game.

Reactions: GypsyRover

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm from Boston, I know well what the ballpark takes. I get the box for free for that one.
All I'm saying is shop around and when you get fed up of being held up. I think $8.5K to slip a 30' foot boat is not money well spent. Just one man's opinion.
I'm putting $8K in the beer fund and when I do get a slip it will be $1.5K a year versus $8.5K a year. Thats a lot of beer.....

Fishtales

Reaction score
But then again, if you drop $500K to $1M for a new Grady you can park it anywhere you want!

Reactions: FrankU

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

In which city/town is the yacht club located? (just curious).

Thx