208 adventure

livstrom

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Buying a 2007 adventure 208, with hard top and f150 with 277 hrs clean how much? And what to look fo

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Great boat! I have 1999 Adventure. Low hour motor!! Look inside the rear bilge area and see how clean the owner kept it, the transom cap should be looked at carefully - lots of threads on this board on what to look for on the cap., water finds its way into the transom.
Take it out for a water test and make sure you are happy with the F150 since you have the hardtop. I have the F150 as well and am very happy with it, but I do not have the hard top.
You may want to pry up the hatches around the fuel tank and make sure you dont smell fuel and the tank looks clean.
Good luck!

seasick

Reaction score
It may be underpowered with the 150. You will notice that when you load up on fuel and passengers

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Check the condition/function of the electrical items and associated small components as those costs can add up fast to repair/replace.

Account for about $500 for a new prop if the boat feels underpowered/sluggish as the 2006+ models are about 250 lbs heavier. Call Ken at Prop Gods and he can get you dialed in. You won’t win any top end race but at least you’ll have a functional setup that will have better burn than a 250 and won’t cost anywhere near a repower. I’d stay away from the 150 if you’re going to run through inlets often.

Hire a surveyor.

seasick

Reaction score
Do a sea trial to see if the boat seems to have enough power.

langski93

Reaction score
If your surveyor or certified Yam dealer has the system, you can get an operational history of hrs/ RPMs which will tell you how it was run. Seems like pretty low hours and a nice boat. Good luck

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
It may be underpowered with the 150. You will notice that when you load up on fuel and passengers
I test rode an ‘89 Overnighter with a 175 Johnson OB. It had a hardtop which was really nice. I noticed there was marine growth which may have hampered its effort but it struggled to get up on plane even under full throttle and when it did finally plane it topped out at 34mph.
By comparison a test ride in my ‘87 Overnighter I ended up with with a clean hull and a 225, it planed instantly and topped out that day, 4 on board at 45mph.
I often wished I had that hardtop and wondered how much that marine growth held it back.
what I can say is the boat will always plane quicker and hold plane better with a larger engine.
That hull will plane in the mid 20’s and top out at about 34-35mph with a 150. With all that said in average sea conditions that hull with a 20’ boat isn’t going faster than 30 anyway.
I’d think you’d still like the boat with a 150 but when the time came you’d upgrade to a 200.

Reactions: Sdfish

seasick

Reaction score
Grady recommended 175 horse (2 stroke) for that hull when fitted with a hardtop. That is why I feel that a F150 on a 208 with a hardtop will be under powered.
I have an 01 208 with a 2s 150 and no hardtop. For two people of normal size :))) it is fine but if I load up with 4 passengers and or a full tank of gas, it has a much harder time getting on plane.

Reactions: Sdfish

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thinking that the engine to have is the Yamaha F200 4cylinder 4stroke, 19 pitch prop.
I’ve loaded my boat with fuel and passengers, never a problem planing.
Had 5 of my daughters college friends from Philly to fish. (7 Counting us) No one knows how to fish, tripping over each other on the Overnighter’s deck and no one listens when I say to use the restroom before we hit the water so the portapot is in constant use. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Agree with the performance comments on the F150 w/o a hardtop. My boat planes at 20 and tops out at 35. I consistently get 3 mpg with 2 adults, 80 lbs ice and 38 gallon bait tank.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
A lot of good information here but keep in mind that the engine/prop combination that works best for YOU will likely be different than the next person as we all run our boats in different conditions, with different loads, and with different goals. Be honest with yourself on use/how fast you’ll be operating most of the time. Use someone with a similar setup/use as a starting point and go from there.

More food for thought: I know two people with 150hp 4-strokes. 1985 Overnighter with a Yamaha F150 and a 1995 Adventure with a Suzuki DF150AP. Both do not have hard tops but run heavy with fuel/ice/crew. The captains fish the same (usually rough) water and mostly troll around 7-8 knots. The boats are not as efficient on plane as 200hp 4-strokes but if needed they have enough power to stay out of trouble. For our use the 150s are sufficient and boat handling skill outweigh brute hp.

I have a 208 with a Suzuki DF250AP. It’s heavy and has way more power than I need but it’s not worth repowering since I re-propped for efficiency at trolling speeds.

livstrom

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
A lot of good information here but keep in mind that the engine/prop combination that works best for YOU will likely be different than the next person as we all run our boats in different conditions, with different loads, and with different goals. Be honest with yourself on use/how fast you’ll be operating most of the time. Use someone with a similar setup/use as a starting point and go from there.

More food for thought: I know two people with 150hp 4-strokes. 1985 Overnighter with a Yamaha F150 and a 1995 Adventure with a Suzuki DF150AP. Both do not have hard tops but run heavy with fuel/ice/crew. The captains fish the same (usually rough) water and mostly troll around 7-8 knots. The boats are not as efficient on plane as 200hp 4-strokes but if needed they have enough power to stay out of trouble. For our use the 150s are sufficient and boat handling skill outweigh brute hp.

I have a 208 with a Suzuki DF250AP. It’s heavy and has way more power than I need but it’s not worth repowering since I re-propped for efficiency at trolling speeds.
Thanks

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks purchased the boat and have no regrets so far power seems fine.
Good!
Enjoy!
I like to trailer my boat so I stayed with a 20’er. If you slip your boat the 150 will serve you well until 3 foot-itis sets in and you trade up.
If not you may repower one day.
Until then there’ll be many good memories made. ;)

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Congrats!! A great boat and you will be happy! When you get a chance, Can you post your performance #'s with hardtop and a few guys on board. I'm interested in seeing the numbers, top speed and mpg, I am considering a radar arch or top of some type but am on the fence.. Thanks!

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Congrats!! A great boat and you will be happy! When you get a chance, Can you post your performance #'s with hardtop and a few guys on board. I'm interested in seeing the numbers, top speed and mpg, I am considering a radar arch or top of some type but am on the fence.. Thanks!
I have already decided to add the arch on mine. I will complete the project this winter. I don't expect the arch to change my speed and mpg much at all.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've seen a couple with the same power. You'll prob be ok with it. It is fairly low hours, so on the sea trial make sure you are happy with the performance. Looks like you will have it awhile.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
i have a 2002 208 Adventure with factory hardtop and Yamaha 175HPDI. The power seems to be ok but I would prefer the 200. I dont think I would put a 150 on this boat.