208 Livewell

smontgomery

Reaction score
I want to convert the portside fishbox/cooler on my 208 to a livewell.

I know this is not the best setup for a livewell but I can't add much more weight aft with the newly hung Yami 4s.

I'd like to know a couple of things from someone who has successfully done this before:

1. List of items I need for a first rate job. ie. Pump type and brand, fittings hoses etc.

2. Location and size of water inlet, both in the tank and in the hull.

3. Best pump location for plumbing and wiring. Switch location? Remote control options?

4. How do I setup the livewell to control the water level? The factory drain is in the bottom.

5. Is an aerator pump necessary for long trips or can water be pumped in underway?

Photos of a completed project?

I figured that I could seal the lid fairly well to control the water sloshing out while underway. I'm also thinking of a latch that would pull the lid down tightly against whatever I used to seal the lid against the top of the livewell.

I also have new space available since the removal of the two-stroke oil well reservoir from the aft/port storage but I think that space is too small for a livewell and I still need access to the fuel filter. There's also the aft weight issue there as well.

Thanks.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Ours came standard from the factory rigged as a livewell. I see if I have any pictures, but I'll describe the locations as best I can. The in-flow from the pump comes in the forward starboard corner at the bottom. You can get access to this area on the outside by removing the tackle drawers under the port side seat. The overflow is a 2 inch thru-hull with a strainer in the upper aft port side and drains just above the waterline right next to the livewell.

The pump is a 500 GPH Kodiak located on a high speed thru-hull in the aft bilge. A 1/2" (I believe) hose is run up forward. I've never actually looked to see what kind of a project it would be to run the hose forward up the port side.

Here's a picture where you can see the overflow drain:
P1000810a.jpg

Here's a picture of the location of the overflow thru-hull. It's the largest one farthest aft in the photo:
LivewellThruHull.jpg

Hope this helps a little

smontgomery

Reaction score
OnoEric:

How is the lid on your livewell sealed against the tank?

I was thinking of covering the entire lid with something that would seal tightly without having memory where the seal made contact to the tank.

Thanks.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How do you drain the livewell? The overflow isn't much above the waterline.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
There is just a thick weather strip around the bottom side of the lid, and a latch to hold it closed. There used to be a gas strut to hold the lid up, but it rusted out and we've yet to replace it. You can see the black weather strip in the 2nd photo on the lid, since it's open.

Grog, there is a separate thru-hull for the drain in the bottom of the tank which is right at the water line (when 2 guys aren't standing on the port side, like we are in the pic). The big thru-hull for the overflow is well below the drain hole inside the livewell. There is a hose between the deck liner and hull to bring that thru-hull down close to the waterline. The bottom of the livewell is still above the waterline even with 2 people standing on that side so it will always drain completely.

Here's a crude cross-section sketch of the way the drains work:

thruhullxsection.jpg

smontgomery

Reaction score
Wondering if I could share the bottom drain through-hull with the overflow drain as opposed to cutting another hole in the boat? The drains would never be used simultaneously so I'm thinking that might make sense.

Great info. Thanks.

Amigo

Reaction score
I'm thinking your drain would not be large enough to take the volumn you will pump into the livewell. I made that mistake on a livewell I built into my aluminum river boat.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
smontgomery said:
Wondering if I could share the bottom drain through-hull with the overflow drain as opposed to cutting another hole in the boat? The drains would never be used simultaneously so I'm thinking that might make sense.

Great info. Thanks.

Is the fishbox already plumbed with an overboard drain? If so, you would have to pull that thru-hull out and open up the hole to be a 2 inch diameter thru-hull, otherwise as Amigo states, the overflow would not be able to drain fast enough and you'd start pouring water over the deck.

Ours came from the factory with 2 thru-hulls, and I don't know the reason.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here's a thread from last year where we discussed wells at length:
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5688

I don't know of anybody that's all that thrilled with the live well in the fish box. They are hard to get bait out of and they don't keep them alive. You already mentioned the sloshing issue - punch the throttle and soak the deck!

Consider a Kodiak 22 instead of a 32 if weight is an issue. Go with a tall one that's round or oblong, the discharge hose can go thru the motor well and right over the transom. They keep the baitfish alive and you can take the thing out when you're not fishing.

The fish boxes make for a terrific cooler or storage box.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
smontgomery said:
Intake hole in the hull bottom at the bilge?

In the aft bilge. We have 2, symmetrically located on either side of the keel. One is split for the livewell and saltwater washdown, the other for the 32 gallon Kodiak tank mounted on the deck.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
CJBROWN said:
Here's a thread from last year where we discussed wells at length:
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5688

I don't know of anybody that's all that thrilled with the live well in the fish box. They are hard to get bait out of and they don't keep them alive. You already mentioned the sloshing issue - punch the throttle and soak the deck!

Consider a Kodiak 22 instead of a 32 if weight is an issue. Go with a tall one that's round or oblong, the discharge hose can go thru the motor well and right over the transom. They keep the baitfish alive and you can take the thing out when you're not fishing.

The fish boxes make for a terrific cooler or storage box.

Chris, the livewell actually makes the perfect tank for mackerel to keep them separate from the anchovies/sardines/squid. The latch and weather strip seal take care of the water sloshing on deck problem.

It's also a great place to bleed out fish as well. We leave the drain plug out and just turn on the pump. The constant flow of water really helps bleed the fish well before they end up on ice in the cooler.