208 rear curtain vs. cockpit cover for moored boat

MA208

Reaction score
New 208 owner here. The boat has the standard top, but no rear curtain. It does have the rest of the enclosure, sides and front. I will be keeping the boat in the water so I would like some way of keeping the front seats and electronics protected from the elements. From people who have been there before me what would you recommend? (I'm coming from center console Whalers, so a walkaround boat as well as Grady are new to me):
1) Buy the rear curtain, I'm sure I could get one from Grady, but any idea of how much, possibly there is a used market for these? I'm not sure how much protection this would offer, is it snapped to the deck? I'm in the NE, so strong winds and rain are not uncommon, but not usually hurricanes.

2) I have seen covers that basically follow the lines of the windshield and enclose the helm area. I have a few canvas people around me, but its a pain getting a boat to them, waiting for the stuff, hauling, etc. But if it was worth it then fine.

3) I dream of a hardtop. I have the F200 for power so that should be fine. I haven't gotten quotes yet, but any idea roughly how much? This may be a project for next season. If I did go this route I would need all new canvas anyway so doing nothing now would be the best option.

Grady Again

Reaction score
Edit postReport this postReply with quote Snap in console cover for 208
by Grady Again » May Thu 06, 2010 2:10 pm

I HAVE A 97 208 ADVENTURE ALSO AND ORDERED A HELM COVER FROM

A&J CANVAS
2453 STREETS FERRY ROAD
VANCEBORO, NC 28586
252-244-1509

THEY HAD THE PATTERN AND THE ORIGINAL GRADY BLUE COLOR. THEY SENT THE SNAPS WITH IT AND I HAD TO PUT THEM ON AS SNAP LOCATIONS MAY VARY. WEST MARINE & OTHERS HAVE SNAP INSTALLING TOOLS VERY REASONABLE.

MARCH 14, 20011. The above is information I put in a previous post.They may also have the pattern for the rear curtain.

THERE ARE ADVANTAGES TO BOTH AND I HAVE BOTH. I USUALLY HAVE THE TOP AND CURTAINS UP IN THE SPRING AND FALL. THEY PROTECT FROM THE COLD AS WELL AS SPRAY ON WINDY AND CHOPPY DAYS. IF YOU GET A WARM DAY YOU CAN ROLL UP SOME/ALL OF THE CURTAINS TO GET SOME AIR. IT ALSO GIVES QUICKER ACCESS TO THE HELM AND CABIN (UNZIP ONE ZIPPER).

THE HELM COVER I USE IN SUMMER WHILE THE BOAT IS ON A LIFT. YOU CAN ALSO USE IT AS A WINTER COVER IF YOU DON'T HAVE A FULL COVER TO SAVE YOUR BIMINI & CURTAINS AND POSSIBLY WHEN TOWING. IT TAKES ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME TO TAKE OFF THE HELM COVER AND PUT BIMINI UP (FOR SHADE) AS IT WOIULD TO ROLL UP THE CURTRAINS.

IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE, I WOULD OPT FOR THE REAR CURTAIN.

YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CONTACT SEA CHEST MARINE, RIVERA BEACH, FL 561-848-9500, HE HAS A LOT OF GRADY PARTS AND MIGHT HAVE WHAT YOU'RE ALOOKING FOR.

:welcome

jellyfish

Reaction score
was it easy or hard to install the snaps? Whats the best way to do it? I need to do it for my 208 for sides and front visor.

Grady Again

Reaction score
EASY. I USED A SCRIBE (ICE PICK) TYPE DEVICE TO PUNCH HOLE, PLACE SNAP INTO HOLE, PLACE BACK OF SNAP ON IT AND MASH END WITH SNAP TOOL, AVAILABE AS A PLIER TYPE OR PUNCH WITH CUP TYPE AVAILABLE AT MARINE OR FABRIC STORE FOR VERY REASONABLE PRICE. :)

jellyfish

Reaction score
Grady Again said:
EASY. I USED A SCRIBE (ICE PICK) TYPE DEVICE TO PUNCH HOLE, PLACE SNAP INTO HOLE, PLACE BACK OF SNAP ON IT AND MASH END WITH SNAP TOOL, AVAILABE AS A PLIER TYPE OR PUNCH WITH CUP TYPE AVAILABLE AT MARINE OR FABRIC STORE FOR VERY REASONABLE PRICE. :)
Sounds Good. I bought the tool from the canvas place where I bought the sides and visor, How did you fit the snap to the fittings on the windsheil snaps? Zip her up and pull down the canvas to the windsheil snaps? If so how tight should I make it? Thx, Jelly

Grady Again

Reaction score
I pulled it as tight as I could and used a white pencil to mark where the snaps go. I did one snap at a time and with that one snapped I marked the spot for the next one. I would pull it as tight as you can because it tends to stretch some over time and wet weather.

jellyfish

Reaction score
Grady Again said:
I pulled it as tight as I could and used a white pencil to mark where the snaps go. I did one snap at a time and with that one snapped I marked the spot for the next one. I would pull it as tight as you can because it tends to stretch some over time and wet weather.
Thank You very Much! I will let you know how it comes out! :goodjob