209 escape

warterdog

Reaction score
Hi You folks have a great site. I am in the process of buying a 05 with a 150 yam 4 stroke. Two question how much was the differance in cost between the 150 and the 200.? Will the 150 do the job? This is going to be a second boat for us as we have a larger boat for weekends. This boat will be used for lite fishing going to the beach Your thought would be helpful to us Oh one last thing we are in our late 50 and just lookin to enjoy life. Thanks again

fishhrd

Reaction score
I would go with the 200. I recently repowered with a 225 honda and I would not want much less motor. But also have a t-top and curtains which is wind-resistant so if you do not you can get by with less motor.

tibeachguy

Reaction score
150hp v/s 200hp

I have a 209 Escape with a 200hp Mercury EFI. I also have a 19ft Tournament with a 175hp Evinrude which used to have a 150 on it. The 150 was great on the 19ft Tournament but the 175hp is better.

I would not even consider less than a 200hp for the Escape. It is a heavy, deep V that needs the extra horses to get her out of the hole. You will be very happy with the 200hp but I believe you will be disappointed with a 150hp. You will wish you had come up with the extra money for the 200hp. It will also help at resale!

Have fun and enjoy! Let us know what you decide.

warterdog

Reaction score
I'm sure you are correct . I was hopeing to hear from folk that have a 209 with the 150hp or that have demo one. Thanks again.

Sea leggs

Reaction score
I own a 209 escape with a 150 hpdi and would agree that the 200 is probably a better choice. Not that I am unhappy with mine the way it is, but if I were going to do it again, I think I would spring for the 50 extra horses. Actually, one of the things I am doing this spring is installing a set of M120 Bennett sport tabs, hoping that it will help get me out of the hole faster. I'm not a speed demon and love the fuel economy, but it is a bit sluggish getting on plane
I do love the 150 HPDI though, it has been completely flawless!!

Good luck!

fishhrd

Reaction score
sea leggs- I just installed the m120's on my boat. I went with 10x12's. I have not run the boat yet but the size looks perfect.