222 fisherman questions

jbukie

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and i'm looking at buying a used 2003 222 fisherman. It is powered with a 225 yamaha four stroke. I boat in new york so i'm dealing with 10% ethanol in the fuel. The boat is in good condition and has just about everything i want.... i need to add a livewell and possibly the transom jumpseats.

Anyway, what should i be looking for with this boat and power set up

Have there been any issues with the '03 222 fisherman i should know about or look for?

What about the yamaha power? I've heard a few stories about filter problems and carbon build up in these engines. Any thing in particular i should be looking for or i should do?

Thanks for the help, i'm looking forward to being a grady owner.

John

jaydub

Reaction score
I have an 06 Fisherman 222 with a Yamaha F250 and love the boat. I use it mostly in Florida where ethanol in gas hasn't made a big appearance yet. I did have it in Illinois last year for the summer and used 10 % ethanol gas with no problem. Grady dealer here recommended changing the fuel filter more often when using gas with ethanol. Have 200 hours on the boat/motor and so far so good. I keep the boat in a lift, so no bottom paint. I also always use Yamaha ring free with every fill up.

As far as the boat goes, livewell is a must for me and the transom seats as well as the bow cushions are a must for the family when we are out cruising. The F250 gets the boat up on plane right away and tops out around 48 mph; the 225 should be a bit less but still should be plenty of power.

Not sure if the boat you are looking at has trim tabs but I find them a huge plus. Good luck and let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Brad1

Reaction score
I have an '03 F225. There was a recall on this engine. Something having to do with the throttle linkage. I had mine taken care of when I got it. Make sure the one your considering had that done. Mine had an intermittent vibration at 600 in gear. Dealership said it was a bushing that needed replaced. They replaced it, but it didn't correct the problem. At about 7 hours, I dumped 4 cans of seafoam in the 100 gallon tank. At 27 hours, I shut the motor off to still fish. When I started the engine back up, there was a slick of carbon roughly 3 to 4 ft in diameter floating on the water. From that point on, no intermittent vibration. I have roughly 250 hours on the motor now.

I really like the motor. I spend alot of time trolling. Other than the first 27 hours in which I experienced the intermittent vibration, I couldn't ask for a smoother running, quiet motor. I'm not blown away by the power, but it is plenty adequate for my use.

jbukie

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far... the boat i'm looking at does have trim tabs which is a plus for me.

Brad, do you know when yamaha made the recall? Was it right after the engine was put on the market or did it come a few years later?

Also what is everyone feeling on an external racor filter for these engines using 10% ethanol gas? I hear good and bad things, some say it can be another flow blockage which might starve the engine of gas. Any thoughts?

How do ring free and/or sea foam work? Do they just prevent carbon from building up or do they actually remove carbon that has already built up?

Thanks guys, going to see the boat next weekend.

catch22

Reaction score
"Also what is everyone feeling on an external racor filter for these engines using 10% ethanol gas? I hear good and bad things, some say it can be another flow blockage which might starve the engine of gas. Any thoughts"?

Definitely go with a Racor. They are 10 micron filters, that's what Yamaha and other mfgrs specify. Get the model with the transparent plastic bowl. All you have to do is drain it occasionally. Best money you'll ever spend. You don't have to mount it outside either. If there's room, I always prefer to mount it below deck. The metal bowl models are for i/o's and inboards, where heat is present. With the other 1 piece filters, (Tempo, etc) you can't tell if they are full, plus I think they are 20+ micron.
Never had any blockage/restriction problem. If you do, you've probably got a fuel or tank issue.

Kevcros

Reaction score
I have a 222 (2004) with F 225-- I love the boat-- everything mentioned above about fuel filters is good advice-- IF you plan on fishing live bait, i would try to find one with the existing molded in livewell rather than adding one -- It is a good time to be a buyer--

Great little boat for inshore and modest offshore trips--

jbukie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. i definitely be putting on a racor 10 micron filter if one is not already there. As far as the livewell it doesn't have a molded in livewell. I'm debating on setting up a free standing livewell or the dealer mentioned one could be put in. I'm assuming they would change the lean bar/tackle center to a leanbar/livewell. I have to ask more questions about that.

Going to see it this weekend.

jbukie

Reaction score
Went to see the boat today. The boat is in very good condition, i will be having a livewell put in. Anybody want to give an idea as to what they think would be a fair price for this setup?

Grady-White 222 Fisherman, Powered with a Yamaha Four Stroke 225 hp Outboard, casting platform cushion, cockpit shower, portable head in-line macerator, lean bar, swim ladder, T-top, Northstar 951 GPS, Simrad SE42 10 in. combo chartplotter/echosounder, Simrad RA 31 10 in. Radar, 4 KW Open Array Radar, VHF radio.

Also, it looks like the tip of the f225 rests in the water while raised when the boat is at rest. Is this normal? Should anything be done to prevent growth on the front of the engine lower unit?