228 Hard Top

trizzo

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi, new to this site so thanks for having me.

I am sure this has been covered however I am after a hardtop for a 98 228 Seafarer would prefer OEM but am open to suggestions.

Also is their specific terminology to search for so I don't end up with 228's for sale opposed to just the hardtop?

I am in Sydney Australia.

Thanks

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I looked at this option. Found a nice 2006 228 without a hard top. I contacted Grady White. They needed HIN as the cabin shape onto which the hardtop bolts has changed over time. I would doubt the current hardtop would fit a 98. Never got a price as I decided to keep looking. I know in a NZ review a number of years ago the hardtop option was NZ$8000 and then you would have shipping on top of that. Contact your Grady dealership and ask if the can recommend someone locally.

I’m in Brisbane by the way. My 2006 228 with hardtop from Rhode Is. is due to arrive September 6.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
WMW Marine is the fabricator for the factory OEM hardtops. I'd contact them direct instead of your dealer. It's a pricey option and even more so to get it to AU, but it can be done. One of our members here (RussGW270) just got one done for his 270 and installed it. He would be a good contact if you have any specific questions on dealing with WMW.

2sailaway

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm trying to go this route myself, the prices I am getting on this are a bit over the top. I won't mention vendors but the prices is from $7800- cheap to over 10k for what came stock on the boats. What I am now looking for is a listing of boat junk yards that I might find what I am looking for instead. Anyone have a yard location they might share for the northeast corridor? NC to Maine is fine for me, has to be a better way than spending 10k on this project.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For you gents down under I have to think that it would be more cost effective to have a fabricator in your area build one using your boat as the jig.

Fishtales

Reaction score
shipping from WMW in NC will be pricy. Might want to look at a local shop.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wonder if you might be able to convince WMW, the maker of the tops for Grady White, to cut a "kit" for you but not weld it together but pack the components in a box to save you thousands in shipping. You may be able to get the box or boxes small enough to qualify for air transport. When it arrives you can take your boat to a qualified welder so he can fit it to your boat. You may have to attempt this request through a Grady White dealer.