228 SeaDek

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's going to look great. IMO, it would look even better if they made the port side of the swim platform a mirror image of the starboard side. I know the old saying is it pays to advertise, but when you are having something custom-made, leave the /logo/ad off.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The little SeaDek logo is a non issue for me. I guess I could have requested no logo but it doesn't bother me.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's going tp look great, with or w/o the logo. I guess it's just one of my pet peeves, like car dealership permanently affixing their name on the back of my car or truck.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I put Seadeck on my skiff and was very happy with the result. It worked great under the helm station where it took some of the shock out of running in a chop. It's easy on the feet all around. The only issue is that it is harder to clean than gelcoat. I found that the best way to clean it was to use Starbrite Non-Skid Deck Cleaner. You brush it on and wait until the foam lifts the dirt before scrubbing.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That will look very nice! 6mm? 9mm? Have you thought about using snaps instead of glue down? The only downside to snaps is that if two panels are tight to each other, they sometimes expand and curl up a tiny bit from the sun. Glue down seems to avoid that.

Side note... They didn't used to put their logo on there. With other types of EVA foam coming onto the market and some of them not so good, they didn't want their stuff to get confused with inferior products since their name is so well known and many people might just "assume" that the inferior product was SeaDek.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
6mm Dennis. 2 color, Storm Gray over Black. It'll match my measuring stick over the livewell and my GW cooler pads. Not a fan of snaps, rough on bare feet.

Capt Bill. I'm the same on my vehicles, no advertising. If someone asks where I bought it, I'll tell them. For some reason, the SeaDek logo doesn't bother me.

Doc,,, looking forward to it. Spent some time on a wake boat that had it a few weekends back and it was very comfortable under bare feet.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Brushed or dimpled finish? If using for fishing I’d stay away from brushed as blood stains will be a lot harder to clean out. I supposed you could do some testing with the sample pieces prior to placing the final order. Also found that a mixture of simple green and dr. Bronner’s helps to get stains out and keep the smell down.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Brushed. More for sandbar hopping and snorkeling. Most all my fish come over the side. Nothing will be in the cockpit, just cabin step and floor.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not a fan of snaps, rough on bare feet.
Yup - don't disagree there!

Now, if you DO like the idea of removable, there is another type of snap out there called "snad" and it is a slightly different design where it's pretty much flat so it doesn't dig into your heel. However, they are a glue/stick-on thing and I honestly don't know one way or the other if they would adhere well to the SeaDek. I "think" it would stick just fine... but anyways, just an FYI on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky Grady

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think on the swim platform, the water forces are strong enough to cause a lot of stress if snapped down. I know on mine in rough seas, there is a lot of water pressure washing up and around.
KY, I was thinking to do the same on my swim platform, but thought that the grooves would have to be filled in first? Any thoughts on that since there will be exposed adhesive that can trap lots of dirt and might even allow lifting over time?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
KY, I was thinking to do the same on my swim platform, but thought that the grooves would have to be filled in first? Any thoughts on that since there will be exposed adhesive that can trap lots of dirt and might even allow lifting over time?
I will be using an adhesive promoter on my platform. The groves are there, but not much, as they are pretty worn down from time and exposure. The adhesive on the back of the SeaDek is pretty aggressive and I will handpress, roll, walk it down, so it should conform to the platform pretty well. The outside edge is past what remains of the non-skid on the platform and very shallow groves along that outside edge.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think on the swim platform, the water forces are strong enough to cause a lot of stress if snapped down. I know on mine in rough seas, there is a lot of water pressure washing up and around.
I am very familiar with the SD being used over non-skid as just about every Sea Ray that we've gotten in at the store over the past 5 or 7 years has had it on the swim platform. So far so good.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
What's life span of Sea Deck
There are a hand full of them now and are all very similar. The better brands use pressure sensitive 3m adhesive. The longevity has far to many variables. For something you walk on I was told 5-7 years.
The days of only SeaDek are gone. They actually had to catch up in recent years and reformulated their foam.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I just debated this on my 273 Chase and decided to redo the non skid...I mainly fish offshore so we have fish hit the deck quite a bit...so many varying pieces of data.

Crisco

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you have final pictures?
we are thinking of using Sea deck for our 2000 Seafarer 226

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you have final pictures?
we are thinking of using Sea deck for our 2000 Seafarer 226
I haven't got install pics yet as it's either raining, snowing or windy here. Welcome to spring in Kentucky. I do have the pieces and I'm happy with them. Trial fit looked good also. Hopefully get installed in the next month or so.

BTW Capt Bill,,, swim platform came in with no logo. I didn't request it, it just came in blank.

20211207_140828.jpg20211207_141012_copy_1160x1783.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Storage box lid pads came in today. Had one lid here at home and installed one pad,,, going to like this. Be nice stepping across transom from swim platform and easier on my knees retrieving the drift socks from the stern tie-down eyes.

20220413_184151.jpg

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Storage box lid pads came in today. Had one lid here at home and installed one pad,,, going to like this. Be nice stepping across transom from swim platform and easier on my knees retrieving the drift socks from the stern tie-down eyes.

View attachment 25448
Nice! Do you have one of those weighted rollers?