228 Windlass install completed.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Finally finished up my Lewmar Profish 700 windlass install this weekend. Started it a month or so ago and got pulled away.

Chose to mount it at the very back of the pulpit instead of the split hatch mount. I did trim off the eye on the backing plate for the bow eye and put cap nuts over the threads to smooth things out. The 3" hole was fun to cut, a lot of material to go through. I sealed it up with a 2 part epoxy before going any further.
20200711_162422.jpg20200907_131526.jpg

Ran a continuous run of 6ga marine wire from battery to the front to attach to the solenoid actuator. Installed the breaker below the wheel and the switch under the controls beside the Minn-Kota control. The switch works as the picture shows, up is up and down is down. I know there was discussion about that.

20200906_160350.jpg20200906_174821.jpg

Used a 4" ring tied to the end of the rode for the stop, incase I ever run close to using all the rode. I bought the prespliced Lewmar rode and chain in 1/2" 8 plait, 200' and 15' of 1/4" chain with a Lewmar swivel attached to a Fortress FX-11 anchor. Any questions about the installation, feel free to ask.

20200907_131407.jpg20200907_150718.jpg

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does that light Fortress anchor self deploy OK? Or do you need to get up front and help it out?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just messing with it in the driveway yesterday, it self deployed, and the freefall part works as designed, landed on trailer before I could catch it. I'll play with it more this weekend, heading to Lake Erie on Thursday.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm interested in how you install and Fentress anchor work out. I'm getting close to getting a pulpit kit and putting a windlass on my boat. I'm getting too old to make it around the cuddy cabin to mess with the anchor. I use an anchor ball puller right now and deploy from the cockpit after the first drop. My buddy has a windlass and fishing in his boat is a lot easier.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Big job Ky,

Looks so nice-well done!!

PS--Now I am glad I like to troll ;)

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Big job Ky,

Looks so nice-well done!!

PS--Now I am glad I like to troll ;)

I mainly troll/drift also on Erie and Santee. Windlass is for bait fishing in current in diversion canal on Santee and sandbar use in Florida. Most people are clueless on how and when to deploy a anchor when I need it. I can't drop anchor and drive the boat at the same time,,,, now maybe I can. Pretty much a solo operation even when I have people on board.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm interested in how you install and Fentress anchor work out. I'm getting close to getting a pulpit kit and putting a windlass on my boat. I'm getting too old to make it around the cuddy cabin to mess with the anchor. I use an anchor ball puller right now and deploy from the cockpit after the first drop. My buddy has a windlass and fishing in his boat is a lot easier.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mines got a safety hook that connects to the chain to keep it from deploying if the windlass were to fail. Might be worth thinking about......

Crbomberger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m thinking of doing the same to my 228. Let us know how everything works out. Nice job!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mines got a safety hook that connects to the chain to keep it from deploying if the windlass were to fail. Might be worth thinking about......

I bought one from Lewmar, not sure where they thought I was going to put it, but the bolt on it is about 1" long, not enough to through bolt to anything.

20200908_203452.jpg

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I will be doing mine in the next week, if my 10 days at the coast don't get interrupted. My plan is to go through the hatch, like I did on my Tournament, rather than through the pulpit. I replaced my hatch with a piece of 1 inch starboard, so now I can just put the original hatch back on. Unfortunately, it is i inch too short for the locker on the 228.99B0B97C-B579-4E68-8CA4-843A95D8E144.jpeg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Can you put the bolt almost under the first or second link of the chain, and washer and nut it from underneath the pulpit?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can you put the bolt almost under the first or second link of the chain, and washer and nut it from underneath the pulpit?

Haven't investigated yet on a way to mount it. I've got an idea on how to do it. I'll look into it after I get back from Erie.

handinpalm

Reaction score
Good job on the windlass install. Look into the Lewmar anchor chain pin lock to secure anchor when traveling. It works great and eliminates any loose hardware from flopping around.

IMG_20200902_153615.jpg

Last edited:

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Nice job. I'm thinking of putting a Windlass on my Voyager, was not sure if best to mount on pulpit or hatch. Thanks for sharing.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well after playing with the anchor yesterday, I guess the Fortress FX-11 is a little light to get the chain to start freefalling. It takes a little nudge to get it going. I'll mess with it awhile before I change to a heavier, different one on or put the tilt roller on it.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On the Seafarer, how did you run the wire from the helm to the anchor locker?

Got in late last night. I'll get pictures this evening. I ran from under helm up under walk-around and zip tied to existing nav light wires that were already mounted under walk-around and straight into anchor locker and to the actuator.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Got the same Lewmar windlass on my 228 but with a Lewmar plow type anchor. I love the windlass; was a big selling point on the boat and I anchor much more often since it's easy. I call it the marriage saver. That pin lock does look slick. May add that. Boat came with a vinyl-coated wire clip like KY shows. Definitely want the lock since it slowly loosens sometimes.

Good idea with the acorn nuts. I may do that. My rode hangs up sometimes on deploy and retreave. Love my plow anchor.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Got the same Lewmar windlass on my 228 but with a Lewmar plow type anchor. I love the windlass; was a big selling point on the boat and I anchor much more often since it's easy. I call it the marriage saver. That pin lock does look slick. May add that. Boat came with a vinyl-coated wire clip like KY shows. Definitely want the lock since it slowly loosens sometimes.

Good idea with the acorn nuts. I may do that. My rode hangs up sometimes on deploy and retreave. Love my plow anchor.

Is yours on a pulpit? Anchor locker door?
Would like to do one myself, 288, no pulpit.