232 GulfSstream Gas Cap Issues

Throttle1971

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I continue to take on water in my Main gas tank. I purchased a new perko gas cap and rubber oring and the problem continues. I believe black filler part of the gas assembly in which the gas cap screws into is warped.
So far I have had to get two full tanks of gas pumped out. Has anyone else had this problem? No problem at all with the Aux tank.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I can't say I've had this problem. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you're up against. I think you would get a better response if you post this kind of question in the "General Discussion" section.

seasick

Reaction score
I continue to take on water in my Main gas tank. I purchased a new perko gas cap and rubber oring and the problem continues. I believe black filler part of the gas assembly in which the gas cap screws into is warped.
So far I have had to get two full tanks of gas pumped out. Has anyone else had this problem? No problem at all with the Aux tank.
Believe it or not, it is not that easy to get a tank full of water from the fill fitting. Of course that depends on the amount of rain, how long and often it has rained, and more importantly, the physical design of the spot where the fill is mounted. I have left my gas cap off during two days of torrential rain and had no measurable water in my tank.
Two things come to mind, the first more common is getting bad gas to start with. If you but your gas at a marina, there may be an issue there.

The bad oring on the fill cap usually allows water to get in slowly until the water level in the tank is higher than the pickup tube opening OR until phase separation occurs. That would be obvious when the tank is drained.
How was the tank drained these last two times? Sucking the gas out using the existing fuel line doesn't get the bottom water out nor does siphoning through the fill.You have to pull the sender out and get a hose all the way down to the bottom of the tank. If the gas has not phase separated, you don't have to drain everything, just the water until the pumping starts to show gas