232 Gulfstream Questions

OBX Grady

Reaction score
I am new here, looks like an amazing group of folks, been reading a lot of the posts, what a knowledgeable group!
I'm considering an older 232 Gulfstream for purchase but have some general questions about known issues. The year I am looking at is 2000 as that is what I can afford. Besides any obvious cosmetic issues, do these have any not so obvious but known concerns? I am looking at twins in the 200hp range. I found one with roughly 700 hours on it, twin 200 0X66's but it needs quite a bit of TLC. The mechanical (compression) survey checked out but there is still quite a it of unknown since its sat for a couple seasons. I live on the Outer Banks of NC and will do both sound and open water fishing. Looks like this model will fill my needs. Finally, does anyone know of a realistic draft spec? I keep seeing 17 but i am not sure if that's considering full fuel load and gear. Thank you in advance for your insight.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 2004 Gulfstream that I purchased new and I have the brochure that states the draft is 17". I can not speak to your other concerns, other than to say I fish Lake Michigan and Lake Erie in rough weather and it is great.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have not heard of specific model concerns. I think the Gulf is a great package. Get a survey done. Look for the usual things (solid decks, dry transom, engine compression, hours, lower unit oil check, maintenance records). Condition of cushions, enclosure, any hull damage, battery age/charge, all electrical and mechanical items work and a good hull check (moisture and knocking).

seasick

Reaction score
Sitting for an extended period can be a concern for several reasons. I don't know what sitting means exactly. Was the boat on land ? Was it covered especially shrink wrapped?
Do you know if it was 'prepped' before layup? Was it exposed to freezing temps. What you would like to know if it could have damage due to freezing and/or water accumulation as might be the case if the plug was in and the bilge got filled with water.
Knowing the previous owner and the boats history can be helpful in determining if the boat was cared for prior to the layup.
The draft specified for the boat is for hull and motors, tanks empty, no gear and no passengers. That draft measurement does not include the distance the motor extends below the keel.
A survey as mentioned is a good idea.

OBX Grady

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks. To answer a few questions and clarify from what I have found since my original post and extra details:
  • The boat sat on a trailer for 2 seasons but was started during the warmer months in between the cold seasons from what I am told... They were fogged and prepped before each cold weather season. Starts easily and seems to run well on the trailer. Will need to get it out in the water obviously as a better test.
  • So there was no wrap done on it and the boat could of had ice/snow. That's a good point, I never thought of that. I am used to warm weather boats.
  • Batteries need to be replaced.
  • Oil tank brackets and oil fill hoses need replacement.
  • Port skeg has damage. Looks like around 1/2 inch of bottom worn/broken off.
  • When you say survey, do you mean a condition and value survey? Not an appraisal correct? Mechanical was already done.
  • Thanks Ted, my in-laws are on Lake Erie and I fished there several times. Can get rough no doubt but a lot of fun.
So I will definitely ask more questions about the hull as everyone mentioned. Any and all suggestions are welcomed, thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The Gulfstream was one of Grady's most popular models, for good reason. The hull survey (by a competent surveyor) will address any issue with the boat such as possible wood rot in transom or floor, scupper/livewell hoses condition, fuel tank integrity, etc. The engines are solid, reliable engines - most things are relatively inexpensive to fix. Be sure the lower units will drop.

Draft will change by a couple inches, at the most, once loaded up. Certainly nothing to be concerned about.

Battery trays/oil fill hoses/batteries/skeg damage... all of those are pretty much non-issues.

seasick

Reaction score
The damage to the skeg may be cosmetic only. Although it can be repaired, depending on how you feel about how it looks, it, it can be left alone. I had one replaced by a marine shop recently and that was the entire skeg since the old one was also bent in addition to having about 3 inches broken off. The cost was about $275, not a trivial cost, but it looks all original.
The survey is for condition only, not value. Hopefully, the boat when prepped had the drain plug out, hull angled to allow water to run aft, livewell and fresh water tanks emptied and winterized as appropriate.
You just need to run through all the systems to see if they are operating correctly and to check for leaks in the wet systems. Bad water hoses are no big deal but split fittings, sea cocks or storage tanks are serious.
The corroded oil brackets are a common issue but how do you know the oil lines need replacement. I can understand the fuel lines and possibly the tank fill/vent might need replacement but don't know what made the oil lines stand out.
I am sure you will really like that boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh, by the way... regarding the oil tank tray/hold down... you can buy the insanely priced Yamaha hold down, or you can buy a $10 battery tray. Both work equally well. Guess what I put in my boat? :)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Might want to get that fuel out and the water separators changed out prior to the test.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OX66 is a great motor. It is thirsty, however.

The oil tank brackets notoriously rust out. Easy replacement.
I'd replace the fuel filters, VST, change the gear lube, new plugs etc...
As Seasick mentioned, fuel quality could be an issue. If the fuel wasn't properly treated before layup, I'd consider pumping the tanks dry and going with fresh fuel.
Fuel lines and fill hoses will be an issue on a boat of that age. Not sure why you would want to replace the oil lines unless they are cracked and/or leaking.

Gulfstreams are great boats....they are also heavy. If you plan to tow it, make sure you have enough tow vehicle.

OBX Grady

Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone's responses. I was out of the country for a while with no internet so I apologize for my delayed response. I was not able to secure the Gulfstream as the seller did not want to move on the price at all. When adding in a price of a trailer and/or transport costs, it was just not something I was comfortable with.

To answer an original question, the oil fill lines appeared to suffer from extensive permeation and were very spongy. Maybe this is normal but in my line of work (I am a fluid power salesman) that's a big red flag. Maybe I was overthinking it, I am notorious for that.

In other news, my wife and I were in Barbados and booked a fishing charter. Much to my surprise and liking it was a 2000 Sailfish 272 with twin Yamaha HPDI 225's. She absolutely loved the boat so as one could guess, this is now what I am looking for lol. I think it may be more than we need but my preliminary research shows they are great boats and would serve us well for our location. So... What should I be on the lookout for on a 272 that's approximately 20-22 years old? I see several online for sale and there is one pretty close to me I would like to see this weekend. My price range from my initial research is $35,000 and that still leaves money for fixing issues before the season starts. Thank you for your help.

coastalbend

Reaction score
There is no such thing as over thinking in boat maintenance, if it is not new, its old. treat it like a helicopter. I am also looking hard at the 232 gulfstream, for trailer ability reasons. The plan is to trailer around the gulf coast and launch. Offshore and bay.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
There is no such thing as over thinking in boat maintenance, if it is not new, its old. treat it like a helicopter. I am also looking hard at the 232 gulfstream, for trailer ability reasons. The plan is to trailer around the gulf coast and launch. Offshore and bay.

Agree with your maintenance analogy! I trailer my 232. The biggest issue I have towing with is wind drag and push from the hardtop. I'm in Va. and have not had any issues or stops from width while towing. There are many boats on the road wider that the 232.
My trailer is going to get replace at some point. It's a galvanized Load Rite that came with the boat. I know it's near max load for the trailer with a single engine 232. I did replace the brake system, hubs and bearings, along with adding 15 inch new tires and wheels. The load capacity of radial 15's is much better.

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Agree with your maintenance analogy! I trailer my 232. The biggest issue I have towing with is wind drag and push from the hardtop. I'm in Va. and have not had any issues or stops from width while towing. There are many boats on the road wider that the 232.
My trailer is going to get replace at some point. It's a galvanized Load Rite that came with the boat. I know it's near max load for the trailer with a single engine 232. I did replace the brake system, hubs and bearings, along with adding 15 inch new tires and wheels. The load capacity of radial 15's is much better.
[/QUOTE
Bennie I live in Norfolk, what brand and size
Bennie what brand of tires did you get? My trailer takes ST225/75R15 for my 232. If you are near Norfolk where did you buy? My boat is on a lift and only use the trailer for maintenace so it is used no more than 25-50 miles a year thus I think lower end tires would work for me.

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I bought off brand china trailer tires on Amazon! The reviews were very good with about 10% negative out of over 1000 reviews. I took a chance and have not been disappointed. I think some negatives were overblown or just people that did not like the competition. On a set of 4 radial tires it saved me about 200.00 compared with brands I could get via regular trailer suppliers on line. Some of their reviews were not that great either. Set of 4 New Premium Trailer Tires ST 225/75R15 10PR Load Range E https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MD2C4QI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hope this does not violate posting rules.