232 Modifications

Wanago

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I bought my 1996 232 several years ago from Southeastern in Virginia and they were great. It is powered with a single Yamaha F250. It had several performance issues for me including mild ocean chop speed, close quarters handling and the bait well. I did the following modifications based on many inputs from this forum so I felt it was time to give back.
1. I changed the prop to a Yamaha Saltwater series 15.75 x 15. This gave me better slow speed performance allowing planing at 4400 RPM.
2. I installed the new Bennet trim tab indicator/Controller. This boat is very sensitive to trim position which affects ride, autopilot performance etc. You need to know their position at all times.
3. I installed Telstar power steering - This changed the close quarter performance dramatically.
4. I installed a new 40 gallon Bluewater bait tank in the center of the cockpit. The existing well would not keep the sardines we use in Southern California even close to healthy for the day. Now I can take a 1.5 scoop load and do well. It is also a nice work platform for the large cockpit.

I just had my first sea trial with all the components in place and boat performed well. The autopilot ran the boat at all speeds including mild chop and slower speed. With trim tabs in correct positions, I could run 4400 RPM in mild chop on plane at a speed of 22-25 knots. Bait stayed healthy all day.
Thanks everyone for all your help and input.
Wanago