24' offshore repower yamaha 250 vs 300?

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Well trying to decide whether to keep the boat, go bigger, or repower i finally sold my motor and decided to repower. Going with a new yamaha either 250 or 300. From what i recall my grady is rated for 280 or 300. I was more than happy with how my 225 etec performed, wondering if the 250 yamaha will do or should i just go with the 300? My only thought is with the 300 i may be able to cruise at a slightly lower rpm than the 250?

Im also redoing the transom and closing it in about 8" on each side. No need for that huge notch when running one motor. Ive put so much work into this boat over the past 3 seasons i really feel that its worthy of a repower. Appreciate any thoughts or info from anyone currently running these 2 motors

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
(See my signature). The boat runs fantastic with this setup. I can't comment on how much of a difference a 4-stroke would be, but imagine it wouldn't be all that much - still relatively the same, give or take anyways. I do think having the engine on a bracket helps things. Have you thought about just closing in the whole transom and adding a bracket? You could make the entire aft end of the boat into a bench seat all the way across - or at least convert the transom well into seating of some kind - or storage.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Dennis, I definitely have considered closing the whole transom in and running a bracket. I would prefer this setup however I think it’s a lot of time and money to invest into the boat and to possibly not have it perform right would be very frustrating.

I know the cutout works and nothing should change with me slightly modifying it by closing in the sides a bit.

Also I would imagine the boat would benefit more with the fuel tank being moved forward if I went with the bracketed setup. I already have my holding tank mounted and plumbed up there and to go through all of that again I’d rather avoid it to be honest lol. Guess I’m getting less ambitious as I age lol. It’s going to be a long busy winter cutting this thing up but I’m looking forward to it. Also the fuel, steering, and engine rigging back there drove me nuts. Can’t wait to fill all the holes and neaten it up.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Jason, just so I'm straight on what I'm mentioning about my performance... My gas tank (90g) is mounted forward. I can't say how much that impacts the performance and how much the bracket impacts the performance as that's the only way I've ever known it. But whatever it is, the boat absolutely rips out of the hole. Even with 4 to 6 adults on it, I bet I never use more than 1/2 throttle to get on plane. I don't doubt, though, that the bracket is giving me more leverage for the hole shot (along with the gas tank being forward helping, of course).

Hey, once you start cutting... It's not that much more work to close the whole thing in! And, heck, the price of a bracket compared to what these new engines cost nowadays... pocket change! ;)

I hear what you're saying, though. The 8" pieces really don't even have to be fully structural - at least not regarding the integrity of the transom - just enough that they're not going to rip off when you climb over/step on/pull on them. Not that you would only make them "just good enough", but you certainly don't have to rebuild the whole transom just for those pieces.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Im going to research closing it in again because youre right, if im going to recore the transom why not do it the way i REALLY would like it and close it up. Dennis are you running a 25" or 30" motor? Do you have any pictures you could send me of your bracket and motor setup? 631 836 2312 send them right to my phone if you get a chance. I never did like how low the motors sit when out on a bracket but i think a 30" motor would remedy that. My original intentions were to just close the sides in more similar to how the later model offshores came.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think it would be a neat project to completely close in the transom - and you could have some fun designing the interior side of of the transom (bench seat, storage, livewell, etc). All in all, I don't really think it would take a whole lot extra work to enclose the whole transom as oppose to just 8" on each side... in same ways, easier. And if you're planning on recoring, anyways... even more of a reason.

I don't have any pics on my phone, but here are a couple from when I first got the boat - it looks better, now :) 25" motor - I'm pretty sure this is a "Grady Drive" bracket. You should be able to click on them to make them bigger.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd look at weight and HP rating of the boat more than anything. Don't overload or over power the transom.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I'd go with the 300. I have a Seafarer and enclosed the transom, added a Custom Marine Welding Bracket(customized with added buoyancy), and put on a new 300 Verado. Check out my videos on youtube for the work done. It turned out fantastic and I am tickled with the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCATvLuuBWqIPmRX0gH9FiMQ
IMG955106.jpg