265 Express, adding outriggers

SMELIKFIS

Reaction score
I have a 2003 265 Express (love it) and want to add outriggers.

From my research the factory option riggers are Lee Jr.
I think the holders are there part number OH-226S, and the poles are either AP 3519 or the extra strong AP 3519 XS.

Questions:

Is the above correct?

If you have the factory outriggers how do you like them?
Also are the thru-bolted?

Is there a different set up that may work better?

How are they best rigged?

I am adding the outriggers for use in the Keys, Sailfish, etc.

Thanks

Enough Already

Reaction score
I added them to my 2001 265 and put on collapsible pole Tacos with backing plates. I've got the old style that requires manual lifting, so I need to stand on the gunnels to do that (can be a pain in rough seas). Deploying and extending the poles can be a chore because that hardtop is very high up. However, I like having them up there and out of the way.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I much prefer the side mounted Lee Jrs to hardtop mounted riggers, mainly for the look. The Sailfish used the 18' poles while my 300 has the 19' poles with gold tips. GW customer service can give you the part numbers if you want to match the factory option. I am very pleased with the side mounts (on both boats I have owned).

Consider the "Hatteras Rig" for the lines which replaces the bungee with a jam cleat under the gunnel. This allows you to set the tension exactly how you want it. I believe someone has posted some pix of these but there is basically a hole in the gunnnel filled with a grommet. A line attached to the bottom pulley goes through this hole to a jam cleat under the gunnel. All the parts (aside from halyard and clips) came from West Marine, are made for sailboat rigging, and cost less then the traditional bungee setup.

Walk The Line

Reaction score
When I bought my 265 about a year ago, it had most of the options offered except for outriggers. Since I fish the NE canyons a few times each year I knew outriggers were something I would want to add later. Initially, I was big on the hardtop mount Tacos, but I was told by the dealer that the installation process required reinforcing the hartop, which was going to be pretty expensive. I opted for the cabin side mount Lee Jr. "wishbones" that you are referring to with the 19' xtr strong poles. The salesman that I spoke with at Lees claimed that the poles are 60% stiffer than the standard models. I'm not sure if this is truly the case, but I definitely like the outriggers, and they make the boat look great.

From an installation perspective, I had the dealer do the work, but I know that they through-bolted the mounts. Hope this helps.

Conjuror

Reaction score
I have the side mount lee jr's on my 265. 18ft. they work very well and I like them a lot. they are through bolted. very sturdy

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 2002 265 had the lee jr outriggers. I love them, but I would opt for hardtop mount outriggers. The lee jr's make it a bit harder to get to the bow IMHO. Hardtop mounts would put them out of the way and extend just as far. I guess it really depends on if you go to the bow a bit or not when you are at the water. I fish the canyons and if a fish runs to the bow, running up there with a stand up rod is tricky. The lee jr's are usually sturdier then the hardtop mounts and will look way better on the boat. I have my lee jr,s double rigged on each outrigger. We fish 7 rods normally when we troll but have had up to ten off this boat without a problem in calm seas.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the gunnel mount bases but no poles and was thinking of outriggers. How big of a pain is it to lower the lee jr's? I have to pass under a bridge which has a 30 minute schedule in the summer that is too low to fit with the outriggers in the normal stored position. I was also looking at the taco hardtop versions too but how tough are the collapsable poles?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grog, probably want to pull them out of the sockets and lay along the walkaround. Not heavy at all, very long though.

gw204

Reaction score
Grog said:
I have the gunnel mount bases but no poles and was thinking of outriggers. How big of a pain is it to lower the lee jr's? I have to pass under a bridge which has a 30 minute schedule in the summer that is too low to fit with the outriggers in the normal stored position. I was also looking at the taco hardtop versions too but how tough are the collapsable poles?

It's easy. There's one thumb screw/bolt that you have to back out. That screw secures the wishbone part to the main tube. Once that's out, the whole thing pivots at the bottom mounting point. It takes me about 3 minutes to lay both down.

SlimJim

Reaction score
How much are the Hard Top mount and the Lee Jr side mount?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jr's are around @1200 complete, the hardtop versions varry between $800 and over $1200 (depending upon how fancy and easy to use).

I guess it's better to wait for the bridge and check the rigs than to constantly take the outriggers down. With my luck I'll wind up loosing a screw or breaking something.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm not used to wide spans between bridge supports here, and some of them you can touch the ceiling!

SMELIKFIS

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
At this point have decided to go the factory way with the Lee Jr OH-226S holders and the AP 3519 XS poles

More questions

Is there retractable poles that would work with the Lee Jr side mounts / if so do you see any advantages?

How do you rig your outriggers?
Will be fishing the keys, want to run as many lines a possible.
(I have searched the net, lots of opinions/options, would like to hear more)

Thanks, Tight lines

twin yams

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
i have a 2001 265,got the boat in april-- love it--only option it did not have was outriggers--i also asked this forums' advice,all was considered--and i went with taco grand slam 250's-- i was told by my dealer that i must use backing plates and tubing spacers for the bolts( i special ordered from taco)--it came out awesome--i have the 15 ft. telescoping poles, they are very sturdy-- went to the canyon in 3-5 ft. seas with some 6's mixed in--no problems- i am very pleased and would give my recommendation--i also used the 7 degree angle wedge from taco to level the mounting plate--total of all parts was around $1400.00--hope this helps, good luck

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grog said:

The lee jr's come out very easily. I can pull each pole out and lay it along the gunwale in about thirty seconds per side. They slide out of the lee jr's very easily and are not heavy at all. I have the 18ft poles. Taking the poles out will not losen any screws, nothing holds the poles in except gravity. The only thing you could do is tangle the rigging if you do not lay them down nicely or have someone assist. I had issues with my rigging this year at the canyon, it got stuck in the last eyelid of the outrigger so we had to remove the outrigger in 5footers to fix it. With 2 guys it was not an issue. Had it fixed and back on the troll in about 3 minutes.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I have the Lee Jr.'s and need to pass under a train tressel.
I pull the pin as described, pivot them back and hold them in place with a precut string that include large hooks.

Here is a picture at the dock getting ready to leave.

100_1929.jpg

Tim

eppem

Reaction score
265 express

ours came with the factory installed riggers..love em...remember its a Grady...think how much you are hemming and hawing over this, they have already done that for you! They install em like this for a reason???

Good luck!