265 Express vs 282 sailfish

Tunaboyyy

Reaction score
Is there already a thread on this topic, I didn't see one? Has anyone fished both of these boats? I am looking for the fishing family trailering vessel that can do it all. I was pretty set on the sailfish then I saw the layout of the Express and liked it better but I have not fished either one yet.

Is there a significant ride difference with the Express since it is wider or is the sailfish better since it is longer?

I didn't see the 265 Express on the GW website?

Thanks all.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I originally saw the sailfish while visiting the U.S. and thought that was my dream boat. Then while looking for used Grady's I came upon the 265.
And bought one. I believe for gamefishing having those motors tucked in nice and close to the transom is ideal and as I can't see the need to go forward often, the extra room on the helm and up front is great for cruising. I can't imagine not having a centre helm now. The aft berth is a great feature on the Sailfish but as is it is very warm here in NQ Aus. we tend to sleep outdoors a lot.
As I haven't ridden a sailfish I haven't any idea ride wise but I'm sure the hull characteristcs would be similar other than the sailfish being longer so maybe softer riding but that also is affected by how far forward you are sitting, weight and of course deadrise.
The other feature for me is trailerbility and the 265 is just that bit smaller and lighter to allow me to use my exsisting tow vehicle.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Before we bought our 265 we were able to see both boats side by side both in and out of the water, in the water at a marina and out at a Grady dealer. The Sailfish is slightly better on gas since it is narrower, but the 265 will cut a chop better. The 265 is slightly more tender on the drift. If you need the extra cabin space, the sailfish wins with the aft cabin, if not necessary, you will love the helm area on the 265. The center helm on the 265 express is awesome and line of sight is untouchable on anything in the size range. If you mainly fish inshore, either model will work well, but if you plan to do any offshore fishing, the 265 wins hands down with the transom design, fishing around a sailfish transom is a pain when a big fish is hooked and runs around the engines. The engines, euro transom and fish boxes/seat on the sailfish put you a very large distance from the water and will need long rods to fish around them. The cockpits are very close in size and are a wash, but I feel the 265 had a better layout for fishing which was my main intent. We run the boat 90+ miles on canyon trips and she runs great and raises fish. This weekend I will be running mine about 105 miles each way to the canyon for an overnight tuna trip. The only real way to decide between both is make a list of what you want in the boat and score each boat, see which suits that need better and also list what you may not like about each. Also look at how you plan to use the boat, if you overnight, the extra cabin may be nice. If you walk to the bow a lot the 265 is a little trickier then the sailfish. If you fish more, hands down I think the cockpit and layout on the express wins, but decide what uits your needs best, a list on paper will help you see what is better for you when you are unsure. Best of luck, if you have questions about the 265 pm me and I'll answer them for you, both are great rides and either way I'm certain you will be happy

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They're basically have the same width (1") and depending upon the year of Sailfish you're looking at they have similar running length or the Sailfish is about 2' longer. The 265 holds either 50g or 30g more fuel again depending on year of the 'Fish. The 265 also has a little more deadrise so it cuts better when it's rough. Neither boat is trailerable friendly, they're oversize and weigh quite a bit.

I like the aft cabin mainly to store out things and keep it out of the way (it's OK for a kid to sleep in but not an adult) and the walk around. When fighting a decent size fish the engines can get in the way, I try to use longer rods (a slight PIA).

If you want to do long runs (100+ miles each way) to go after big fish I'd lean towards the 265. Mainly for the extra fuel but also for the tucked in engines. If you do shorter trips, the 'Fish has the advantage with the extra room for the kids' assorted stuff.

LittleMrs

Reaction score
I dont think there is a wrong decision either way.

The 265 is not in the current Grady catalog because they stopped making it in 2005. I believe the lack of teak and the lack of a table in the cabin made it "too much" of a fishing boat for many families to consider. The closest replacement is the 305 Express, which does have teak and a table LOL.

We looked at both models you're considering and ended up buying the 265. We've overnighted on it and love it (2 adults and a dog) - the berth is plenty of space.

Best of luck with your decision. Keep us posted.

Bama96

Reaction score
Gradyfish22 what kind of fuel burn do you get with those F225's? Cruise RPM and speed? MPG and GPH? Considering a second boat with a partner and we have found a 2001 265 with 2005 F225's. Thanks.

rolltide

Reaction score
I don't know about the 265, but the Saifish is a lot of boat to tow. I have a '95 272. You better have a substantial truck. I have a new Tundra, making almost 400 hp, it get's the job done, but my 1500 Chevy would have died. I get about 7.5 mpg towing. (ouch) Storage is cheaper.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Gradyfish22 what kind of fuel burn do you get with those F225's? Cruise RPM and speed? MPG and GPH? Considering a second boat with a partner and we have found a 2001 265 with 2005 F225's. Thanks.
The F225 will give you about the same fuel burn (maybe a little less) then the 200 HPDI's, but check on the weight of those engines on that 2001 Hull. The scuppers might be under water as thats a lot of weight for that hull.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
For what it's worth, I have a 2000 272 Sailfish (twin 225's) and it's been a really great boat. Fish mostly offshore 30-60 miles and the 272 has been reliable and has handled very well - even when we've found ourselves in rough seas (6-8+ footers). I like the cabin for storage and for staying out of the weather. Fish northeast (Ocean City, MD) and we get a lot of storms and cooler temps (Sept - Nov). Have passed many center boats in storms and everyone onboard looked wet and miserable. If you have kids, the cabin (or downstairs as my son calls it) is great to have. I'm sure both boats perform well. Good luck!

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned the 282 and have a friend with a 265. If you want a hardcore fishing boat and don't mind using the berth as your main storage area then the 265 is a very good choice. If you want it to double as a family boat then the 282 is a better choice. With the 282 you will get a single berth aft cabin that you can use for additional storage or for the kids, a dinette as part of the vberth, a walk around cabin and a euro transom with a door & boarding ladder that gives easy access for swimming or float toys. I fish a lot and was concerned about the euro transom but I have never found it to be a problem. But it could be a problem if you fish by yourself or you get in a situation where you have a big fish on and you you are short handed and can't afford to have somebody at the helm keeping the boat in the right position. But if you land that 100# tuna the 282 transom door will come in very handy. The walk around comes in handy when sneaking up on bait schools but the main tradeoff is a narrow helm area. Two captains chairs make for a tight fit between the chairs and makes the helm feel crowded. If I kept the 282 I would have looked into changing the port chair to a companion seat to give te helm a more open feeling.
Main question is "how do you plan to use the boat "MOST" of the time. If you want primarily a fishing boat you can't go wrong with either one. The 265 would probably be more economical to run because of weight difference. If you plan to do a fair amount of pleasure cruising and spend multiple nights in a row on the hook you may want more creature comforts that the 282 offers. Both are great boats.

I was never out in the 265 in rough seas... but I was in plenty on the 282 and it always handled very well. The specs between the two are:

282: 9'6" beam, 28' center line, 6781 lbs
265: 9'7" beam, 25'9" center line, 5390 lbs.

Good luck with your choice. By the way... you can never have too much storage space or rod holders on a boat :lol:

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
This is good input from Joe above.
Before purchase I looked at these two boats very closely. My wife wanted the 282 due to cabin ammenties. I wanted the 265 for fishing.

I had a "heart to heart" with myself about what the boat would really be used for - knowing that I fish about 50 times a year with nearly 20 of them 50+ miles offshore - adding in that we will spend maybe 8 nights a year "camping" on the boat sleeping on the hook - I chose the 265 and havent looked back.

I have the HPDI's and the boat is fantastic with them!

Take a look at my blog for the 265 in action!

http://fishingfinattic.blogspot.com/

Someone mentioned the tuna door - I can count the fish that I personaly have caught on two fingers that needed a tuna door - I have hauled 300lb sharks over the side on the 265 without much of a problem.

Good luck!

Tim

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Joe does sum this topic up very well.

I bought the 2003 / 265 this season w/ Yamaha 225 four strokes and my main goal was to have seating for three or four under the hardtop, fishability was next and storage was last because we dont really stay on her overnight. I must admit this is the 1st boat I have owned where I have 0 complaints. The Yamaha's are bullet proof and whisper quiet, I have run her to the canyon three times this season, all trips were in good conditions except last saturday running through a thunderstorm. The boat is a solid tank, you feel very safe and secure and she is very econimical to run. All my guy's love the 9/7 beam for trolling and she will not roll badly when you lay to in a heavy sea. The boat is worth every penny I paid and then some.

Good Luck, Dan

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All good input. IMHO the 265 is the best looking Grady out there (any of the express models for that matter) but the deal killer for us was the lack of recessed walk-around decks, and lack of a dinette table and seating below. The center helm is great, and the cockpit is fantastic.

Tuna - there are two 265's locally, Bristol Yachts in San Pedro has one, the seller is in Chino. I think he wants too much for the boat because it has OX66's on it, but it's on a trailer. You could always negotiate the price if you decided you really want one. They were low hours, but we all know they're stinkers and gas hogs. Seems to me it was mid 70's.

The other one is owned by a fellow named Walt, he's been on the forum here in the past, his boat is in ABL and he's in San Diego. We went down to see his boat, it's very nice. Has HPDI's but with quite a few hours, around 900 or so. Boat is well equipped and well taken care of. He's had it advertised for a couple of years, I think he's mid 50's which is really a decent deal for what it is. It's slipped, so no trailer. BTW, I have a local source for aluminum trailers if that need comes up.

And I think there's a late Sailfish in Newport, you'll have to scour the internet ads. It was pretty new for quite a chunk of change, 90's I think, maybe more. And there was an '04 Sail in SD, but that was last year and it's probably sold by now.

There is also a nice Islander just north of San Francisco, you'll find his ad in usedboats.com. Young pair of HPDI150's on that one, and a trailer. Good price too, in the 50's. I've heard it said here the Islander is a 'skinny sailfish'. However no aft berth on that one.

Frankly, if you're going to keep the boat on the trailer (as I was thinking as well, but may have a slip coming up) I would lean toward an Islander. They were designed for towing, the bigger boats not so much but can be done with the right truck. Caltrans permit is $100 a year, virtually zero restrictions, you just have to have the permit and flags and signs.

Let me know if you need help finding boats for sale. If I can get a buyer on my 208 will be trying to deal on a Sailfish (1st choice) or an Islander (2nd), with at least HPDI's or the intention to repower with Etecs or Zooks.

Boats cost a little more on the left coast, I think it's a combination of shipping costs and demand. There are some real deals on the east coast, and lots to choose from. There's always the possibility of a fly out, buy, and have trucked. I figure about $5500 to do that. And I'll bet there are some forum members that would be willing to preview something for a fellow grady-guy to make sure it was worth pursuing.

EDIT: 'cuz i can't spell for $Hlt!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And the hits just keep on coming!

Another subject where the advise is a hit right out of the park !

I would have had the 265 instead of Sailfish - except for an inch or so short in cabin height. You don't know how dissapointed iI was at boat show to find this!

My head was rubbing cabin ceiling, so much for the height challenged ! With plan for many overnighters in the "marina beach house", that wasn't going to fly.

For the kind of money Grady was talking, boat has to 100%.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it is a 2001 w/ Four strokes it was repowered so as stated above check the scuppers, they can be moved up and the boat will be fine, but if not note that will be needed. From 2002 to new they moved the scuppers up, also in 2003 there was a new hull with 1 degree less deadrise throughout the hull at all points, some say this changes the ride but really it is minimal but is a change for the better making the boat a hair less tender in some conditions, I've fished on both and noticed very little difference. With full fuel and ice and such I'll cruise at 4100-4200rpm going anywhere from 27-29mph depending on sea state and get anwyhere from 1.4-1.7mpg. With half fuel and a flat day I will see 1.6-1.8mpg. The boat likes to run bow and tab's high, but in some conditions like flat calm I do better with a little tab with bow down and engines trimmed way up, you need to play around to see what it likes. We ran to the canyon in flat calm seas with a small ground swell, running at 5200rpm I was running over 40mph and getting 1.2-1.4mpg.
Any rpm from 3600-4500 will give you better then 1.4mpg in all conditions if trimmed right. A boat with 200 HPDI's will actually cruise and run slightly faster and be slightly better on fuel but will burn oil so operating costs will be about the same but you will add a little in the range department so if you run offshore that is something to consider.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think Grady made a major mistake dropping the 265 from their line... especially since they dropped the Islander as well. Maybe they had a hard time marketing the 265 but for the 2009 models it will be a major jump for someone wanting a larger cabin boat than a 258... the 290 is a major jump... especially $$$ wise. 265, 270, 282... all gone. Maybe that tells us something about their market analysis.

I agree with CJBrown... the 265 is a great looking boat. I also always thought the hardtop was a little too high on the 282 giving it a high profile. Any kind of wind when docking and my curtains always had to be up.

Tim... I'm 61 yrs old... I need that door :lol:

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The new 290 is a huge disappointment IMHO, great looking boat with nice lines and practical, but a smaller cockpit then the 282?...and no added fuel, so what is the benefit of that boat? Word was it was a new express, which it is not, in these tough times it makes me wonder why they would introduce this boat in the line up with other models that already exist in similar sizes. A similar move lead to the elimination of many for mentioned models...and this time it couldn't have come at a worse economic time when Grady has slowed down production. I would buy a 282 or 265 over the 290 any day of the week, especially at what the price is.

Any other wuestions about the 265 feel free to ask, but I won't get to them until Sunday night, I will be running to the canyon on my boat to do an overnighter.

Tom

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
HDGWJOE said:
Tim... I'm 61 yrs old... I need that door :lol:

Gottcha!

I did have a thresher on during a tourny this year that was very large - I was thinking as we were about to stick the fish that I might not make it back to the weight station in time since I estimated the fish to be about 450lb - meaning dragging it all of the way back - desicion was made for me pretty quickly with the line parting when the fish was 15 feet from the boat! :cry:

Tim

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tim, I read your report on ctfisherman. I'm "Gray Ghost I" over there. That was a real shame about losing that shark after such a great fight.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
The new 290 is a huge disappointment IMHO, great looking boat with nice lines and practical, but a smaller cockpit then the 282?...and no added fuel, so what is the benefit of that boat?
Tom

Oh yea!

If the 290 had the more aggressive hull design (like the 265), 300 or more gallons of fuel, and a windshild that went to the hard top it would be on a lot of people's list. Basically a 265 on steroids.