265 Express

Little KaTuna

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I'm looking to replace my electronics this fall with two Garmin 8612xvs units. Does anyone make a pre fab piece of starboard or similar material to fit over the opening in my helm? I really don't want to fabricate this from scratch I'm not good with routers or designing things thanks in advance

Little KaTuna

Reaction score
Model
Express 265

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Go on Garmin site and get install manual for the models you are considering. Printout the cutout template. That way you can make a cardboard template to plan out the spacing.

The hardest part is the cutouts and mounting holes. Garmin leaves no wiggle room. The screw holes are really close to the cutout.

Reactions: Little KaTuna

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Fin-Addict Marine (contact Brown, sales@finaddictmarine.com) has the 265 dash templated for max surface area and has done several for folks on this site, mine included. The piece they did matched up perfectly with the outer line of the overall dash panel area and was enough for me to mount a Raymarine Axiom 12Pro and an Axiom 12 (2nd pic) though installation did require some cutting to enlarge the dash opening (1st pic). The carbon fiber ABS (3rd pic) was added for appearance, the 1/2" starboard panel is plenty strong to support the weight of the units. Believe the Garmin 12s are slightly taller than the Axioms and you'll definitely want to test the templates first but there's probably 1/2" of upper dash that could be removed, I only had to square off the corners to make mine fit. The 2 pair of holes just above the opening are from the original plexi door hinges. Don't forget to account for how deep the units go into the dash or how high off the surface they sit, things can get tight on both sides of the panel.
83312B5E-4DF6-4A13-97CC-D96EF0DC3E12.JPG
604B90EC-E7BA-4848-BABE-DEFC9AC80DAB.JPG967680CC-8234-4C8E-90FC-5F4991513D73.JPG

Reactions: Little KaTuna

Little KaTuna

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Fin-Addict Marine (contact Brown, sales@finaddictmarine.com) has the 265 dash templated for max surface area and has done several for folks on this site, mine included. The piece they did matched up perfectly with the outer line of the overall dash panel area and was enough for me to mount a Raymarine Axiom 12Pro and an Axiom 12 (2nd pic) though installation did require some cutting to enlarge the dash opening (1st pic). The carbon fiber ABS (3rd pic) was added for appearance, the 1/2" starboard panel is plenty strong to support the weight of the units. Believe the Garmin 12s are slightly taller than the Axioms and you'll definitely want to test the templates first but there's probably 1/2" of upper dash that could be removed, I only had to square off the corners to make mine fit. The 2 pair of holes just above the opening are from the original plexi door hinges. Don't forget to account for how deep the units go into the dash or how high off the surface they sit, things can get tight on both sides of the panel.
View attachment 26709
Very nice you and the member SeaVee did an awesome job they look great thanks for the help

SoCoRI

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
This forum has been a great source for helpful info, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to finally contribute...

I used a 1/2" x 12" x 36" sheet of Black Plexiglass to redo my helm this spring.

I am running 7612xsv so it will give you a sense of available space.

In hindsight, I should have shifted things over a bit to the left which would have allowed me to mount my vhf mic in the upper right. Oh well... we live and we learn. ;)

Attachments

• gw_265_helm.jpg
    gw_265_helm.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 20