265 Fuel line replacement

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2004 265- love the boat, hate the engines (F225s)!

I'm going to replace the fuel lines this spring and would like to order the hose, but I'm not at the boat to do the measurements. I'm thinking of going from the tanks to the switching valves. I already replaced the lines from the valves to the motors.

If someone has done this can you please let me know the length of hose you needed, the ID (I'm assuming 3/8"), and any fittings that were needed. Also, any issues in doing the replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
The factory may have pumped out thousands of boats like yours but lengths may vary slightly from boat to boat. If you come up short on a hose, particularly the fill hose it’ll be useless for you.
Get to your boat and take measurements and take them twice. You may also find you may want to reroute some lines after you see how the factory placed them. If you replace a fuel filter and change it’s location to make it safer or make access easier, that’ll change things up.
The best thing is to look things over on your own boat and make a plan on how you want to proceed.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree with Mike. Just wait to order the hose. It takes, what, 2 or 3 days max to order them? Note how they're run, remove them and measure. Order a bit extra - it's money well wasted on the chance that you measure wrong and end up short. There's nothing fancy to the install - old one out, new one in.

If you want to get a head start, take a trip to the boat?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yes order a little extra.
Though I get a lot from eBay, Defender, IBoats... I actually bought all my fuel hoses from west Marine. It wasn’t cheap but I saw what I was getting in the store and as cheap as I can be this isn’t something you want to go cheap on. I got the heavy duty stainless clamps and doubled up on all connections.
Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
seasick said:
I bought Shields top rated line online. I needed about 20 feet. The online price for a 50 foot roll was less than the local marine supply house for 25 feet.Here is a link:
https://www.starmarinedepot.com/shields ... yOEALw_wcB
I went this route for braided clear vinyl to plumb two live wells and a wash down pump. Saved a bundle and had hose left over.
Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Shields is an excellent brand. Another one is Trident. Trident was actually started by Bill Shields in the '80's after he left Shields to start his own business, separate from the "family" business. Shields is no longer a family business... I think SeaStart own them now? Not that any of that matters... just a little interesting... sort of.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Everything you want to know.... I think Gates is one of the better ones.

Fuel Line Ratings Explained

A common question to our sales team is type of fuel line needed. To maintain a solid stream of fuel minus air and obstructions, use marine grade fuel line components. Think of the fuel line rating system like a report card- A1 is the best! It has the highest fire resistance (2.5 minutes open flame) and lowest permeability making it appropriate for any application. Newest evolution is A1-15, which meets new higher EPA standards for ultra low permeation. The EPA standards became effective Jan 1, 2009, meaning any new boat build with gasoline filled hose in confined areas must use A1-15 hose. At Jamestown Distributors, it's safe to assume any A-1 rated hose sold now is the newer A1-15 type.
Ratings are determined on these two factors, permeability and fire resistance. Particularly with volatile gasoline, permeability is a concern due to vapor build up. If it is in an enclosed space "below deck" it must not give off explosive vapors. Manufacturers often refer to hose as "above deck"/"topside" or "below deck" hose, which is simply a trade gimmick way of phrasing the permeability rating.
The rating system exclusively for marine hose is known as SAE J1527 and it provides for grades as follows:
A1--fuel feed hose; has a fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Least permeable with highest fire resistance.
A2--fuel vent hose; has a fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times.
B1--fuel feed hose; without fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times; intended for non-enclosed spaces. Diesel engines or above deck outboard gasoline applications.
B2--fuel vent hose; without fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Diesel vent lines.
If you are building a boat or replacing a deteriorated fuel system, buying 1 coil of A1 hose is often the most useful and safest way to go with less leftover hose in the end.
AWAB clamps are the best choice for complete clamping force to secure fuel hose to barb fittings. A vibration resistant screw and a non-perforated inner surface with rounded edges help this clamp achieve a hose-friendly leak-free seal. Use these clamps in conjunction with brass or stainless steel fuel line fittings to connect tank vents, fuel fill hose, deck fill plates, and fuel feed lines. Any new installation must include a fuel line shut off valve. To achieve maximum performance at higher speeds or engine loads, all fittings selected should maintain adequate ID (internal diameter) throughout the fuel line. If not, the narrow diameter hose will act like a kink in a garden hose; the result is loss of power at wide open throttle. For outboard systems, Sierra offers complete replacement fuel lines to fit Mercury, Johnson, Evinrude, Honda and a host of others. They also offer replacement bulbs and connectors to keep outboard fuel lines primed and running.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Of course I'll check my boat to determine the required length of fuel line I'll need before ordering the hose. I was just trying to get an idea of the length of hose I'll need. I'm a planner, especially in the winter, thinking about the upcoming boating season!

Fishtails - thanks for the great info- very helpful.