265xpress/Yamaha control cables

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Port engine cable bundle was rubbing on the threaded steering crossbar when the motor was raised/lowered. There was no cable cover, just a zip-tied bundle of wires/cables/fuel line.

I kept saying "I should do something about that"....I didn't....I still have in my head that I want new 4 strokes so don't spend on these...

Last trip out I noticed it was harder to shift. Plastic cover rubbed thru on the shift cable and it rusted.

Ordered on Amazon Seastar CCX63324 24' Xtreme control cable ($50.75) and waited...Friday..they sent me a 16' Rack & pinion steering cable....replacement won't come til Tuesday
There was a good weather forecast for Monday...

wanted to "get things done" so I cancelled that & bought one at West Marine for $65. Went in really easy using old one to pull through. Shift was so smooth "like butter"!
Decided to disconnect and check out the Starboard shift since it has always been a little tight into reverse. Swapped the shift & throttle to test...Well, bit the bullet and went right to West Marine for a 22' version of the cable($59)
Sprayed some white grease on the control box moving parts and buttoned it up. Managed to NOT drop any nuts into oblivion during the job!

Shifts like butter!!!!

btw...forecast was BS.....today its wind ENE at 23knts...no fishing....