283 vs 306 canyon

NJfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 283
I'm looking to buy either a 283 or 306 Canyon. Both the same year and each with twin Yamaha 250's and similar hours (around 450). The price is about $25k more for the 308. My current boat is a 28' Albermarle, so outboards are new to me. Questions - (i) think the 306 would be underpowered versus the 283 and (ii) for the $25k difference is the 306 that much more boat? I'd use it for inshore fishing off NJ and a few trips to the canyon in good weather as well as bay cruises with the family. Thanks.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Can’t argue with your assumption that the 283 may be a little easier to push. However I have a 30 Marlin (same hull as the 306) which is probably a little heavier than that 306 and the 250’s move her along at 26-28kts around 44-4500 rpms.

… one thing is almost for sure, you won’t regret getting the bigger boat

Last edited:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Have you looked at both boats side to side and or been on either one? The 306 is going to feel and look like a much bigger boat. Not only do you gain a few feet in length but another foot in the beam. I went from a 265 to a 305. not exactly an apples to apples comparison as they are express boats, but the 30 ft hull (same in all models) rides night and day better and physically feels like a much larger boat. If you are planning on going offshore to the canyons go with the 306 . Its bigger heavier and holds almost 100 more gallons of fuel too.

Reactions: frankm

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can’t argue with your assumption that the 283 may be a little easier to push. However I have a 30 Marlin (same hull as the 306) which is probably a little heavier than that 306 and the 250’s move her along at 26-28kts around 44-4500 rpms.

… one thing is almost for sure, you won’t regret getting the bigger boat
I'm not positive but it looks like the 305 Express and the 300 Marlin have the same hull but the cockpit and some other design features are slightly different? Anyway, here's a link to Yamaha's website where they have the numbers for a 2009 Grady White 305 Express with twin F250's on it and it does a top speed of 45.6 mph with the optimum cruise being 28.9 mph @ 4,000 rpm while burning 22.5 gph of fuel. Doesn't sound like terrible numbers or anything until you read the small print below which says "Test weight includes 1/2 tank of fuel, 3 batteries, safety and test equipment." Which to me, the 305 Express, along with the 306 Canyon, both have a 290 gallon fuel tank, so an extra 145 gallons of fuel at 6 lbs / gallon would mean an extra 870 lbs just for fuel to have a full tank. On top of that, if you had any extra gear, food, ice, bait, tackle, persons and so forth and had a full tank of fuel you're probably going to be at best in the mid 30's mph range and your numbers will likely be nowhere near be as great. To me, and this is just my opinion, it seems like that setup would be a bit underrated in terms of power, depending on what kind of fishing/boating needs you have.

To the OP, what year are the motors? If it's anything up until about 2009 or so then make sure you have the exhausts and mid sections checked for the infamous Yamaha corrosion issues before you buy them. If you don't, it can be upwards of $2k or more per motor to have them fixed, of which that's if the motors can be fixed and if the parts aren't backordered. Good luck with whatever you decided on doing. I couldn't tell you about the extra space of each boat, though I'd recommend looking at each in person to see which design or layout you like better.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
306- extra foot of beam is nothing to sneeze at. More cockpit more weight Holds more gas, burns more gas. Its going to ride and feel and fish bigger than the 283. Its gonna have canyon range. It is canyon worthy on the right days.
Its gonna cost more for everything. Dock, paint,haul, wrap....

283- plenty of this size boat running to Resor/AP/Chicken/Texas Tower. it will get you there faster. With 4stroke yammie 250s you will probably average 1.5mpg so you have range. It is canyon worthy on the right days. My trips from Manasquan to Hudson average about 220 miles including deviations for Atlantic Princess tuna and pot hopping and trolling. It can be less if you go staight there and back. You're not planning on going when its going to suck. It will suck on the way back more than you planned. Get curtains.

They are both center consoles.
You will never say "if I had the 306 this wouldn't suck". You might say "If I had an Express this would suck less"

The guys at my dock with 28-32' CCs mostly run & gun for tuna mid-range. They don't canyon that often. They run all over but not much past Texas Tower or down to Edward Cole

I run my 265 to the canyons too much. I've had glorious days and nights and I have also had the shit kicked out of me the last 40 miles to home. A 30' CC would not have helped. I wished I had a 52 Viking.
Honestly I need to stay mid-range more and stick it out instead of giving the AP bluefins an hour and then running to the West Wall for Tilefish and Mahi

Good Luck. See you out there

Last edited:
Reactions: Pat Hurley

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Get the 306. I have one. I‘ve run a 283. Both great boats. 306 is a beast compared to the 283 though. It’ll run fine with 250’s unless you are trying to race someone. I had a 300 (Marlin) with 225’s (2 Stroke) and it was just fine. Love my 306.

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 283. It is a solid rocket. Great boat. I also just bought a 2000 Marlin with the intent of flipping the motors to my 283. I am now seriously considering keeping the Marlin for all the reasons stated above. I run the 283 to the Wilmington on occasion but it cuts the 1/3 rule close. Great boat for 50 miles or less.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
306- extra foot of beam is nothing to sneeze at. More cockpit more weight Holds more gas, burns more gas. Its going to ride and feel and fish bigger than the 283. Its gonna have canyon range. It is canyon worthy on the right days.
Its gonna cost more for everything. Dock, paint,haul, wrap....

283- plenty of this size boat running to Resor/AP/Chicken/Texas Tower. it will get you there faster. With 4stroke yammie 250s you will probably average 1.5mpg so you have range. It is canyon worthy on the right days. My trips from Manasquan to Hudson is about 220 miles including deviations for Atlantic Princess tuna and pot hopping and trolling. It can be less if you go staight there and back. You're not planning on going when its going to suck. It will suck on the way back more than you planned. Get curtains.

They are both center consoles.
You will never say "if I had the 306 this wouldn't suck". You might say "If I had an Express this would suck less"

The guys at my dock with 28-32' CCs mostly run & gun for tuna mid-range. They don't canyon that often. They run all over but not much past Texas Tower or down to Edward Cole

I run my 265 to the canyons too much. I've had glorious days and nights and I have also had the shit kicked out of me the last 40 miles to home. A 30' CC would not have helped. I wished I had a 52 Viking.
Honestly I need to stay mid-range more and stick it out instead of giving the AP bluefins an hour and then running to the West Wall for Tilefish and Mahi

Good Luck. See you out there
Couldn’t have said it better myself

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
… btw one thing is certain if considering or comparing the 283 to your current boat (28 Albemarle). If fishing wrecks or drifting the 283 will out shine the Albemarle hands down. Now on the other hand there will be no comparison when up and running in a sea, that is where the Albemarle scores high marks as I’m sure you already know.

The 306 will give you the best of both worlds in comparison

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I have a 306. It feels HUGE! I think the 250s would be ok, especially if you aren't running heavy all of the time. As far as top end, it's rare you can run full throttle very often. I believe the original 306 (Bimini, I believe) came with F250s, so it's not as though someone down powered the boat.

The 306 has a great deal of room in the console, which is really nice. The wide beam makes it very stable at rest and on the drift.

The 306 is a lot of boat.

I would be happy to discuss it further, if you like.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
That is a lot of beam for a 30 footer...beam to length ratio is very important..there is a reason a lot of Cc do not hit that number until at least 32

NJfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 283
Everyone, thanks for your replies. It made me think that in reality I'll run for closer wrecks and near-shore fish more than I'd ever run to the canyons, so the 28 should suit me just fine, but even with that the 30 will give me more boat. I may see if I can find one with 300s on it (it seems they all have Yamaha 350s, which I want to avoid due t the flywheel issues).

Reactions: SkunkBoat

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Yup.. either the 28 or 30 is great. The 30 just adds more scale.

NJfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 283
I have a 306. It feels HUGE! I think the 250s would be ok, especially if you aren't running heavy all of the time. As far as top end, it's rare you can run full throttle very often. I believe the original 306 (Bimini, I believe) came with F250s, so it's not as though someone down powered the boat.

The 306 has a great deal of room in the console, which is really nice. The wide beam makes it very stable at rest and on the drift.

The 306 is a lot of boat.

I would be happy to discuss it further, if you like.
The 306 I'm looking at is in Glouceter. "Celtic Mist". Know the boat? A new listing by Baert Marine.

Reactions: igblack87

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

I have seen the boat, but don't know the boat. Baert services my boat and my prior boat. They are good people. I live in Gloucester and would be happy to look at the boat with you, if you want a second set of eyes. Also, if you use a surveyor, PM me and I will tell you one NOT to use.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
the 30 will give me more boat. I may see if I can find one with 300s on it (it seems they all have Yamaha 350s, which I want to avoid due t the flywheel issues).

Yes it will. Engines primarily are going to be related to the year of the boat. The f250s came out in 2005, so most if not all 2005-2007 30 ft gradys would have been built with f250s. The F350 came out in 2008 so the 2008-10 larger gradys will have a mix of 250's and 350's. in 2010/11 the f300's came out. from then on you will see a mix of F250s, 300, 350's. The F300's probably being the most popular for the 30ft boats. I would avoid the earlier f350s at all costs, unless the boat is a great deal and you intend to repower.

Reactions: JJF

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The F350's from what I've read are also significantly heavier than the F250's, especially if you have twin motors on your boat. The lowest weight model for an F350 is 763 lbs and the heaviest is 804 lbs. Compared to a mid 2000's Yamaha F250 which has a dry weight of around 604 lbs and a brand new one which is only around 551 lbs. So the F250's, depending on the year, could be anywhere from around 160-250 lbs less per motor. Of which I'm thinking any benefit from the extra power levels would likely be negated from having potentially anywhere from an extra 320-500 lbs of weight hanging off the back of your boat, especially when it's fully loaded down.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
The difference is the torque of the F350s.

When I am steaming ahead and bashing into waves, my boat doesn't slow. Instead, the F350s just push it through.

Now, I am not saying the boat needs the 350s, but the torque is worth the extra weight.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
The above description about availability and years is very accurate. When I was searching for a 306 I looked at and ran with both 300’s and 350’s. The above about torque is also accurate. The 306 I looked at with 350’s were series “C” so no issue with reliability but for a variety of reasons I chose the 300’s. 350’s - definitely torquey but overall performance was not noticeably better. About 5 MPH at top end. Cruise was basically negligible. 350’s - noisier. Less efficient but without question more torque. I will say that after 2 seasons with the 300’s I’ve never needed that torque. I don’t think you can go wrong with either package but if you do get 350’s make sure they are 2016 or later motors (Series “C”) as those seem to be trouble-free except for the flywheel which is NBD maintenance (And free).