330 Battery Set Up

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Looking to improve the battery set up on my 330 Express. Currently, the setup is stock, as near as I can tell. There are two banks each consisting of a pair of batteries. One is for the port, the other for starboard outboard. From memory, the starboard one also powers the house electronics, etc. A couple of times, we’ve started the starboard engine and lost electronics for a moment due to the battery draw, and I’d like to avoid this in the future, especially going overnights offshore.

I’d like to end up with a three-bank system, where there is a dedicated starting battery for each motor, and a bank of two batteries for the house. There are a number of ways to accomplish this as far as I can tell.

I’m familiar with the Blue Seas ACR system, as I installed one on my old Mako. This set up is more complicated than the Mako due to the twins and 3 banks, but the parts seem somewhat straight forward. I’ve also seen the BEP system, which could be an option.

My goals for install include keeping it as clean and organized as possible. Ideally, it would use the existing switches or at least that location for turning the batteries on/off.

I’m assuming that in addition to the ACR products and switches that a new charger would be needed to support all 3 banks when connected to shore power.

With a three-bank set up, I’d assume that the live bilge pump/float switch and radio memory should come off the house bank. What about the windlass and the thruster? Should those move to house, or keep on a starting battery, with the idea that the motor would be on in all cases of use? Would it be wise to add a third battery switch at the stern for the house battery bank, or rely on the one on the board in the cabin?

I’m working on a diagram next, to get a sense of the system from a wiring perspective, but I’d be interested in seeing pictures of how this has been done on other boats. Specifically, where the components were installed (switches, relays, etc.)

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On my Islander with a stock 3-bank charger I added a 4th bank. This bank is in a foreword compartment under the vberth. This is close to my bow thruster and windlass. All batteries are Duracell AGM’s.

I definitely would have one battery for each engine. Parallel the other two for house. Or have two house batteries and distribute the load.

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 01 330, I have 2 batteries for the outboards. 2 Guest switches, one for each motor, I can pick battery 1 or 2 or both to start the boat. The 3rd guest switch is just on or off and thats for the 2 house batteries. I also have a 3rd switch, that combines the batteries, it has a removable plastic key. If I kill the house batteries I use this switch to join every thing and start the generator. (It's a Gas Kohler) House batteries normally starts the genny. I have a 3 bank charger for the 4 batteries. I added a bow thruster, I installed a group 31 battery under the V-Berth, I also installed a small single bank Charger there and plugged it into the TV outlet behind the fridge. I used a electro magnetic Blue sea battery switch with a controller at the helm if the Thruster should ever get stuck in the on position. My windlass was wired to a buss bar under the helm where my electronics are attached. Every time I touch the windlass my screens would go out. I remove that wire and ran a heavier one to the house batteries. Its on all the time. My thought was if I need that anchor in an emergency i don't want to have to turn battery switches to get it powered. Hope this makes sense and is helpful.

HMBJack

Reaction score
If you didn't have a generator, I would for sure do what you have in mind.

I would simply keep everything stock and run your generator more often.
This is both good for your on board electronics and the generator itself.
If you're doing an offshore overnight trip, your generator should of course be on at all times.

I've thought about possibly adding an isolated yet small (Group 24) battery dedicated to starting the generator.
But combining my 4 AGM's should start it up even in the worst case scenario (I think).
As you know, once your generator is running, everything else in the boat gets happy!

Lastly, with your Yamaha gauges and engines off, you can monitor the voltage of your port and starboard battery banks throughout the day. If your starboard (House) voltage drops below your comfort level, start your generator.

Last edited:

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
yeah...generator...

it exists, meaning it is in place, taking up space, but is one of the gas ones, and is not working. I'm treating this as if I don't have one, as effectively, I don't.

@fsc60 - where did you mount the switches? Are they in the stock location - cabinet port side transom? If not, do you happen to have a picture?

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Every thing is in the stock location, I dont know when or who put the combiner switch. Its in the cabinet with the others and the fuel valves. I will get a picture Saturday. I will take a pic of the back of the switches also. The panel is out right not because I had the batteries out for the winter and its easier with the panel laying down. I searched for images of the switches and never saw one with the small combiner one that I have.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Every thing is in the stock location, I dont know when or who put the combiner switch. Its in the cabinet with the others and the fuel valves. I will get a picture Saturday. I will take a pic of the back of the switches also. The panel is out right not because I had the batteries out for the winter and its easier with the panel laying down. I searched for images of the switches and never saw one with the small combiner one that I have.

Awesome. Thank you very much.

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Here are some pics of my set up
This is how I bought the Boat
The small switch combines Battery 1 (Engine Battery) with Battery 3 (House Battery)
Hope this helpsIMG_8466.jpgIMG_8473.jpgIMG_8474.jpgIMG_8475.jpg

Reactions: kirk a

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks, FSC. That is exactly what I was looking for.