330 Express Horn - Suggestions?

HMBJack

Reaction score
Love my 330 Express however the electric horn it comes with is unreliable.

I replaced it twice and it just doesn't work after a month or two.

Any recommendations on a RELIABLE replacement horn? Looking for ease of replacement and electric I guess (not air horns).

Thanks,

seasick

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised at a life of a year or two but a month or two?
Something is not right. Are the horns mounted in a way that can get more spray then they should or mounted in a way that would block water from draining?

HMBJack

Reaction score
Yes - more like a year or two (max.). I have a portable boat horn to pass USCG inspection but want to but a more durable electric horn in place.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the same problem with those little horns below the windshield (plus they were bleeding rust down the gelcoat). I removed them and replaced with two very loud "truck style" horns on the hard top. Crazy loud :)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Boat horns are made in the same Chinese factory as trailer lights. There are cheap ones and expensive ones but there are no good ones.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I concur. I will continue to use my portable, canister type, boat horn. No big deal. I rarely use it.

Thank you for the input!

Fishtales

Reaction score
just stayed with the stock one, do need to change every 5 years or so. seems everyone has issues with them.

Time Bandit

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I
Love my 330 Express however the electric horn it comes with is unreliable.

I replaced it twice and it just doesn't work after a month or two.

Any recommendations on a RELIABLE replacement horn? Looking for ease of replacement and electric I guess (not air horns).

Thanks,

I replaced my horn recently. 2002 330 express. Bought the horn from west Marine, I checked the internet while in the store Marinco makes the horn . It’s the long trumpet kind. Bet the two trumpet one. very nice sound. Around $175.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I guess I'm lucky HMBJack,

1987 horn still working and original. I guess I don't toot my horn enough?

Are you shut down or "lucky" holding a commercial exemption??

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Maybe calm water boat then?
My old 228 was fresh water boat before I bought her, horn was like new then . After 4 years in rough offshore water she stopped working.
I pulled it apart all rusted on the inside. I replaced it with twin long trumpet horn mounted upside down trumpets facing back so water doesn't go in still perfect when I sold the boat about 4 years later.
The horn and the location GW installs on the Seafarers is not ideal for offshore usage .

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agreed, horn location is zero sum game. Not sure of the first owners history, but the second was using it as a family boat, which meant water skiing and enjoying flat-ish waters during the summers at Cape Cod.
Stay healthy wrxhoon, and was great to see you taking your son out fishing for big pelagics from your last video. Good on you~

Fishtales

Reaction score
could be installed in a spot where it gets washed over a lot? I've seen the trumpets on the hard top. Maybe just get an air horn and call it a day.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Agreed, horn location is zero sum game. Not sure of the first owners history, but the second was using it as a family boat, which meant water skiing and enjoying flat-ish waters during the summers at Cape Cod.
Stay healthy wrxhoon, and was great to see you taking your son out fishing for big pelagics from your last video. Good on you~

Thanks Lee, I hope you guys are all well. We don't have many infected here and if it wasn't for Ruby Princess cruise ship, about 700 infections we would have a lot less. I see New York is terrible .
After this coming Friday we will be able to go fishing again, hopefully we can keep the infections at bay so we don't have to go to lock down again.
I see you pick the the youngster ( Anthony) on the video, not my son, my nephew. My son is a lot older 38 years old, we still fish together, we even go on overseas fishing trips together. He has been fishing with me from the time he was 6 YO ( inshore until about 10 YO then offshore as well).
I hope things improve in your part of the world very soon.

Reactions: leeccoll