83 254 Kingfish repower

brickhousemb

Reaction score
Model
Kingfisher
I have a 1983 254 kingfish in great condition with updated electronics and radar. It still runs on twin 470 190s with alpha 1 drives. I'm fairly handy rebuilding autos, painting, building etc. My plan this winter is to garage the boat and regel thing and possibly repower. I am considering 2 yanmar 4lv195s or Hyundai seasall R200s with bravo 3 drives. I understand the work involved and I enjoy it. I also understand the expense involved but I think it will be worth it, if not necessary for the resale value, just for the fun I had with the kids fixing it and enjoying a reliable great boat. Conceding these two points what am I missing? Is this completely insane?

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Weight might be a concern. I'm a big fan of redundancy but if going diesel I'd think about single power and keep up with maintenance. Lot's of far bigger single powered diesel boats running every day off NC 50 to 100 miles and rarely have problems.

I'm better with gas myself and with the costs involved I might go that route. I once pulled an old, tired 350 Mercruiser out of a 23' w/a with Alpha One. I found a late model Vortec short block out of a fire damaged (not engine fire) Regal. Bought a marine intake manifold and transferred the carb, added an electric fuel pump, and moved the wiring harness, water pump, etc to the new engine. I was able to turn a bigger prop and best cruise went from 25mph 2mpg to 31mph getting 3.4mpg. The old engine was 235hp but I'm sure wasn't putting that much out anymore. The new was rated 300hp with fi but it was still very strong with the re-used quadrajet.

Last edited:

brickhousemb

Reaction score
Model
Kingfisher
I have debated the one vs twin set up over and over. The last person that talks to me convinces me lol