96 27 sailfish any current owners?

jbrinch88

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to move up to a 1996 27 sailfish for under 10k. It would be a nice jump from my 24 offshore. It’s powered by a pair of Yamaha 200 Saltwater series 2 motors with one being seized up. Canvas needs work and upholstery is shot as well. Needless to say the boat needs to be gone through with a fine tooth comb. Both fuel tanks were just replaced so that could be scratched off the list.

Just from browsing around last night this hull supposedly doesn’t have the best ride quality compared to the 98 and later sailfish with the extended hull back to the transom? Is this still a boat worth investing time and money into? The majority of the cost would be motors obviously. I’d see if I could find a low hour pair of etecs or optis. Four strokes too heavy for this hull?

Just wondering if this boat is worth the time, money and energy.

Thanks

Jason

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Jason,

There are a few of us on the forum with 95 and 96 272s. Another is Fellinger.

I moved up from a 96 208, and love the difference. I suppose you would see less of a difference coming from a 24’. It has a nice beam, wider for instance than the otherwise comparable Islander.

Four strokes are not too heavy. I have two 2012 225s, though I think I am at the limit, as it is a little stern heavy.

If you are getting the hull and one outboard for under 10k, then depending upon the condition of the hull that might be a good deal. I think I recall that NADA puts my hull at a value of around 10k, with hard top and basic electronics included.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I love the Islander model and considered it, however there isn’t much more if any at all fishing room than my 24.

The sailfish is a nice jump for sure, however it’s hard to get rid of a boat that you’ve put so much sweat equity into in order to get it the way you want. I know the 24 grady is far from the best riding hull, but it fits everything I do perfectly. Only thing I would change about my 24 is the transom layout which I had intentions on closing it up and adding a bracket until this sailfish fell into my lap.

The sailfish would be twice the cost to go out in, twice the maintenance, and definitely more upkeep than my 24. But I find myself venturing out further and further have having twin engines definitely puts the mind at ease.

Anyone else have any input especially on ride quality vs the 24 offshore. A lot of people bash the 24 for how it pounds in any chop. I simply slow down to 20-23mph and put the tabs down and all is well? I’ve personally never been on any boat that doesn’t at least slightly pound in a tight chop and I work on boats for a living!