AC Boat Show

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So I was at the boat show and talked to Mercury regarding 225s and the also the joystick.

According to the boat show people....Mercury joystick helm is only available on select new boats. They work with the boat brand to optimize the software of the product to the hull model/engine combination.. This greatly improves the performance. The Seastar Optimus 360 can be used but it is not optimized to the boat and so it will not be as responsive.

A pair of the new V6 four stroke 225s with digital controls and rigging will be $40k all-in. They are not likely available until winter of 2019/2020. All production is going to new boats at this time.
That $40k price compares to the lesser horsepower Yami 200 i4. A pair of Suzuki 200 i4s will be $36k. The Mercury 225 is lighter than both at ~500# for an XL

As I have learned here on this forum, my 2000 265 express wasn't designed for the weight of 600# plus V6 4 strokes. So I've been looking at i4 200 hp yams or zuki. I was about to pull the trigger on Suzukis.
The new 3.4L Mercurys are a game changer. In fact, they have a 4.6L V8 250 that could work, but I'm not going there...

Looks like I am going to wait it out, suffer thru the summer with my OX66s, see the reviews of the Mercs after they have been out there a season, and make a decision this fall.
As a long term purchase, I don't want to settle on 200s and kick myself later on. Just hope I don't have to do to much to the ox66s this year.

As for the rest of the show...plenty of giant, over horsepowered bow riders...I mean "Dual Consoles"... and giant over horsepowered center consoles with 18 speakers....and 2 rod holders.....

There were only 2 expresses, the 33 Grady and a 30 Robalo (didn't like it, had a 12 inch step to the cockpit from the helm...crazy))....even Albemarle showed a 30 ft bow rider instead of an express.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You know, the last couple of boat shows I went to, it seemed like they were trying their hardest to lure the sandbar crowd with all the glitzy speakers and lounging areas and such. Evidently the boys that like the sandbar scene are the ones throwing around the big money. Who the hell can feed four 350 hp engines to go out and catch a box of fish.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You know, the last couple of boat shows I went to, it seemed like they were trying their hardest to lure the sandbar crowd with all the glitzy speakers and lounging areas and such. Evidently the boys that like the sandbar scene are the ones throwing around the big money. Who the hell can feed four 350 hp engines to go out and catch a box of fish.

yep...... and I can't convince myself to drop $40k on 2 new motors.....