Added a Fire Extinguishing System to The Generator Space

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a gasoline Gen set and There are 9 different fuel lines and 3 fuel filters in the generator space. I figured it might be smart to install a halon system. I installed one on my last boat. Fortunately it never went off, but it’s nice to know it’s there. Super easy. There was only one spot open which qualified. You have to be within 20 inches of the ceiling of the space and not more then 6 ft from the engine. It’s recommended that you use a fire or aft bulkhead, but that was not an option. The space is so small. The tech rep said I would be fine where I put it aiming thwartship. I ran the discharge light to the cabin. I didn’t want more clutter at my helm. 343C495D-29D9-44F9-8396-86CC4EB1E75F.jpegF6D32A43-533E-466F-BE90-6A4E51543934.jpeg

seasick

Reaction score
I thought halon was banned by the EPA. I know it was for computer rooms.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I suspect that is actually HFC-227 which is a clean agent replacement for "Halon." Halon production was banned in 1994, but can still be used if existing stock or recycled.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I suspect that is actually HFC-227 which is a clean agent replacement for "Halon." Halon production was banned in 1994, but can still be used if existing stock or recycled.
I’m sure your right. I’m showing my age. I started my marine career in 1977 As a carpenter/installer at a major yard. I installed a bunch of Halon systems. I’ve just kept calling them a halon system. I don’t know what’s in the can? All I read was cu ft and installation requirements.
Ithink I remember a Hatteras Capt being asphyxiated or something like that? I guess it’s bad for the ozone? I just checked. My unit has heptafluoropropane In it. That sounds like an accelerant!

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I think your install is a great idea. My Genset is diesel so I'm not as concerned. Unfortunately in smaller boats like ours, the most likely gas fueled fire in a bilge is actually explosive and the fire extinguishing agent will only help if the compartment is not blown open. As I'm sure most know, bilge blower use is critical, particularly with a gas genset.

Last edited:

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I think your install is a great idea. My Genset is diesel so I'm not as concerned. Unfortunately in smaller boats like ours, the most likely gas fueled fire in a bilge is actually explosive and the fire extinguishing agent will only help if the compartment is not blown open. As I'm sure most know, bilge blower use is critical, particularly with a gas genset.
Your right on that. But with the newer fuel injected model vs the carborated model. The risk is not as bad. The previous owner put this brand new gen set in, so I guess I’ll stick with it for a while. I had the original Kohler 5kw in my Bertram. It was carborated. I put a new CO detector in the cabin and in the helm enclosure.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You know. I got to thinking. I bought the very first one of these Kohler 5kw Gen sets built about 20 years ago. I bought it off the floor at the Miami Boat Show. I was redoing a 33 Bertram and I was buying equipment left and right at the shows and shipping it home with our show shipments. I replaced the old Onan. I started the New Gen set. It ran for about 5 minutes and the electrical side caught on Fire! They sent a truck and a crew up to Myrtle Beach and swapped out the unit within 2 days. They wouldn’t even let me drive the boat over to a slip near the parking lot. They hired a Capt. And a boom truck. They were very complimentary about my install. That’s when I put the halon can in.

Time Bandit

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I installed the same one. Funny every comment is nonsense. It’s like saying why did you put a smoke detector there? We have three combination smoke/CO and the auto halon system on a little 33 footer. Sleep soundly.
former NYC Fire Fighter Lieutenant.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I installed the same one. Funny every comment is nonsense. It’s like saying why did you put a smoke detector there? We have three combination smoke/CO and the auto halon system on a little 33 footer. Sleep soundly.
former NYC Fire Fighter Lieutenant.
Yeah. I have 2 combo detectors. I hit the test button as Im tucking in.