Adding a divider to my 265 Express Fishbox...

bartoma

Reaction score
The least used area of my boat is the fishbox... I rarely need that much space for fish (striper fishing on the Chesapeake rarely brings anything large), so I usually just put 20 lbs of ice in a cooler...

What I am planning on doing is adding a 13" tall, 3/4" thick starboard divider across the width of the fishbox... This will be attached via hinges to starboard blocks mounted in the bottom, and when, vertical, will contact starboard blocks mounted on the sides (maybe add magenetic cabinet closures)... If I need the entire compartment, the hinged divider lies flat over the aft portion of the fishbox; if I don't, it stands up and provides a 13" x 32" section for ice and fish, with the forward portion remaining free for storage... I have a number of 3/4" drain through tiles that will line the floor of the two compartments - just to keep things from sitting in water...

Any thoughts about this project? Anyone done anything like this to make the fishbox more useful?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Ya for me that box is a dilemma. I want to use it for dry storage but I need it for mid range and canyon Tuna and Mahi fishing. We have loaded that box a few times. Plus we take 200 pounds of ice.
I have dry things in 5 gallon buckets and some 4 gallon buckets that go in & out of there. Sometimes the buckets get shifted to the live well.

I convinced my bother to leave the 100 qt cooler on the dock. Now we use the live well as a cooler on short trips.
I'm trying not to have coolers onboard to trip over. It is so much more pleasant with a clear deck to fish.

I would agree if you are just bass fishing, use that as storage. Splitting it with a hinged wall sounds like a great idea. Not sure about using it for ice or fish after that though.
I would probably not want to put screw holes in the bottom either

instead of hinge..maybe a lift N drop setup

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think I would bond 4 thin pieces of starboard to create channels and then slide a piece down to divide. This way you can pull it out to get a full fish box if needed.

bartoma

Reaction score
I think I would bond 4 thin pieces of starboard to create channels and then slide a piece down to divide. This way you can pull it out to get a full fish box if needed.
Thought about that, but the opening is a couple inches narrower than the box... The there's the issue with the gas springs, and the fact that the lid doesn't open past a certain angle... The starboard pieces required to make a channel would have to extend from the walls to the edge of the opening - and then, the insert would have to clear the springs and lid... I'll look at it again, but I think the hinged divider may be easier with no real downside...

The mounting blocks will be screw mounted, but also sealed with 5200...

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
In thinking outside the box a little, and as a cheap alternative. What about using a rubbermaid or similar type bin? they come in a variety of sizes. Place the bin in the fish box and then use the bin to hold fish, ice, etc. The box is already insulated. All the water blood etc. will be in the bottom of the bin which can be pulled out and hosed off and easily cleaned. This will also allow for some dry storage as well in the fish box. I have seen this done on other boats when the entire large fish box is not needed. I thought about doing this on my 265, but in the end just always used either the livewell or a cooler as fish and ice storage.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Hmmmmm...thats a good idea...but it doesn't work with dolphin...they go insane...
but I'll check out some sizes of bins...got me thinking...

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Interested to see how this works out as I've had the same dilemma, love the size for the few times I'm able to get offshore and can use it (and hopefully need to) but for just about anything else I do it's overkill and takes a ton of ice to remain effective. Fishing the Chesapeake I usually end up just using the live well as a fishbox. Does work great during the summer social boating season and holds four big fenders for rafting up, inflatables, and a bucket with daily use cleaning supplies with room to spare. Not real keen on drilling holes into it and have wondered a post mounted on the face where it narrows down with matching holes cut into the divider and cotter pins in the posts to hold it in place would work. Wouldn't be watertight by any means but would reduce the space and I think be fairly easy to get in and out.

bartoma

Reaction score
Got most of it done today... Could not have turned out better, IMHO... Shaping the panel and getting it to fit well both standing up and lying down was a bit tedious, but it worked out well... The cavity is a little wider at the top, but since the panel lies down, the sight gap along the upper walls is inevitable... I assembled it for pictures, and then took the panel out to countersink the mounting screw holes and glue/seal the blocks with 5200... After it cures, I'll reassemble and add latches to secure the panel when it's upright... I'll also get another set of blue drain-through tiles to finish the tile installation... These are going to be great for keeping stuff out of the water/icemelt that doesn't drain...

20200404_143614.jpg20200404_143618.jpg20200404_143624.jpg20200404_143634.jpg20200404_143640.jpg20200404_143644.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
I see what you were talking about. That works out very well. Good job with it.

Ryndne

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Got most of it done today... Could not have turned out better, IMHO... Shaping the panel and getting it to fit well both standing up and lying down was a bit tedious, but it worked out well... The cavity is a little wider at the top, but since the panel lies down, the sight gap along the upper walls is inevitable... I assembled it for pictures, and then took the panel out to countersink the mounting screw holes and glue/seal the blocks with 5200... After it cures, I'll reassemble and add latches to secure the panel when it's upright... I'll also get another set of blue drain-through tiles to finish the tile installation... These are going to be great for keeping stuff out of the water/icemelt that doesn't drain...

View attachment 12031View attachment 12032View attachment 12033View attachment 12034View attachment 12035View attachment 12036
How’s it working out for you? Standing in front of my box on our express 330 and contemplating similar things. Hinge on bottom vs sides etc.

bartoma

Reaction score
How’s it working out for you? Standing in front of my box on our express 330 and contemplating similar things. Hinge on bottom vs sides etc.
It has worked very well... I ditched the portable cooler to free up the cockpit, and I usually just put 40 lbs of ice in the aft portion while storing fenders forward of the divider... If I am not bringing Ice, I can use the whole space for storage, using the fridge to keep drinks cold...