Adding a hard top to 226 Seafarer

Koz54

Reaction score
I am looking to add a hard top to my 1999 226 Seafarer. I know, some might say it is not worth it but I think it is. I bought the boat last October and absolutely love it. Great boat, but I don't have to tell you folks that. It will probably be the last boat I own. The boat has a soft top that when I bought it knew that I could get 2-3 years out of before having to replace the canvas. That time frame was expedited when I trailered it out to Montauk this summer. I folded the top down but neglected to tie it down. At some point in the 40 mile trip it blew back onto the deck area. :roll: That bent a pole and strained the already weakening seams. I got it back up, but after much use it needs to go.

I know it will cost $$ and I am looking for something solid and affordable. I have already looked into Atlantic Towers and came close to getting theirs. They had three options. Two I didn't like and the third I didn't love. I might revisit them later. I also looked into a couple of welding shops but was not impressed for assorted reasons.

I am on Long Island, New York central north shore. The boat will be stored indoors with plenty of working room over the winter. I'd prefer to have it installed but am not totally against installing it myself.

Anyone know of someplace that does good work at reasonable prices in the LI, CT, or NJ area that I can contact? I am figuring on a price range of 4-5K

yourinmyspot

Reaction score
Hi there.

I have an adventure 208 and recently put a custom aluminum radar arch on. Guy who did the work was Jim at PenWeld. They are a small shop located in Sayville. He did an amazing job at a reasonable price. He traveled all the way to Greenwich, CT to do the install last winter. Would have no hesitation recommending him and his work. He does hard tops also, but I had just gotten a full canvas enclosure installed so was not going to scrap it.

Are you the same Koz from Noreast? looks familiar.

Koz54

Reaction score
yourinmyspot said:
Hi there.

I have an adventure 208 and recently put a custom aluminum radar arch on. Guy who did the work was Jim at PenWeld. They are a small shop located in Sayville. He did an amazing job at a reasonable price. He traveled all the way to Greenwich, CT to do the install last winter. Would have no hesitation recommending him and his work. He does hard tops also, but I had just gotten a full canvas enclosure installed so was not going to scrap it.

Are you the same Koz from Noreast? looks familiar.

I was originally thinking of doing a radar arch on mine as well. I have since changed my mind. I think the hard top will better suit my needs.

Thank you, I will call Jim today.

Yes, I am Koz54 on Noreast as well.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've had several seafarers, one with hardtop, and the other with bimini. Hardtop is nice, especially with rocket launchers and electronics box, for trolling and storing poles and electronics. When fishing offshore though, whether underway, at anchor, or drifting, the hardtop equipped boat will rock significantly more than the bimini one, and pound harder underway, especially if the weather picks up a little. I would consider some of the aluminum T-top type tops available that have material inserts in them. They can accommodate all extras that hardtops do, and will have considerably less weight up high where you don't want it. just my opinion.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
I'd also suggest Redman Marine Fabricating in Eliot, Maine. A little out of your stated geographical sphere but probably worth a call. I was looking at doing a hard top (didn't as couldn't justify the $$) and they were great to deal with and prices were competitive. Good luck and let us know how the project went.

Koz54

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice and leads. I will let you know how I make out.

I have been talking to Jim at PenWeld and will be paying him a visit tomorrow. He sent me a couple of photos of a Robolo he is just finishing up. His work looks top notch. As for the weight issue; his company uses aluminum as opposed to fiberglass for the top material. Much lighter and is cost efficient. The top would be powder coated. I have slight reservations about that, but as long as the top is pretreated and the powder coating is applied correctly there should not be an issue.

My company has dealt with a professorial painting-finishing company for many years. I called him. He recommended that whoever does the powder coating uses Kynar 500. Again, the pretreatment is very important.

Koz54

Reaction score
Update:

Ended up getting two hard tops. A good friend has a 2004 Seafarer and has been thinking of adding a hard top for a while. Dimensionally his is the same as my 1999 Seafarer. There are only minor cosmetic differences from what we can tell. We got together and negotiated what we feel is a great price from Pen Weld. Jim measured both boats just to be sure. He is a great guy to work with.

A lot of the pre-work was completed and we dropped my friend's boat off last night for it to be installed. It should be done later today :D

They hope to be finished so we can pick it up this evening. The attached pic (poor quality) is just for height reference and to pacate two excited Grady owners. The top skin and front legs have yet to be installed. My boat will be dropped off probably on Monday :p

I'm stoked to say the least! :D

Very beefy look and feel. 8)

Attachments

• hard top start.JPG
    hard top start.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 4,322

Koz54

Reaction score
Picked up my friend's boat last night. I (we) think it came out great! Looks like I'll be dropping mine off on Monday 8)

Attachments

• MG0.jpg
    MG0.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 4,306
  • MG1.jpg
    MG1.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 4,308
  • MG2.jpg
    MG2.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 4,302

treblehook17

Reaction score
what is the hard top made out of? how thick is it? can you mount a radar and outriggers to it? 23 grady gulfstream with a soft top right now but want to upgrade to accommodate radar addition. located central north shore long island as well.

Koz54

Reaction score
The top material is aluminum, about .125" thick. It is powder coated.

You can mount radar and outriggers, just need to weld some plates onto the crossbars. You can see them in the second pic of my last post.

There are plates for radar, (that I won't use but my friend will) electronics box, anchor light, antenna, and a couple of spares.

You can add however many and whatever size you like.

Koz54

Reaction score
I picked up my boat on Friday. Very happy with the way it came out. I added two rocket launchers on the sides and lowered the ones on the top by about 2". I can now easily pull out anything up there and there is still plenty of head clearance. I'll get the enclosure done this winter. (I keep the boat indoors) The anchor light and spreader lights arrived on Monday. I'll be mounting and wiring those up soon 8)

Best thing is that the top came in under budget! I was expecting 4-5k, ended up in the mid threes. V

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,162
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4,155
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,149
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,150
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4,149

treblehook17

Reaction score
The new hardtop looks great!

You said mid 3k's for the cost. Did that include the pipework or just the hardtop itself. I know you mentioned the rodholder additions and adjustments. Just wondering if the pipework was factory or not. I have a soft top so just wondering cost on putting on the hardtop with my existing pipework.

Koz54

Reaction score
treblehook17 said:
The new hardtop looks great!

You said mid 3k's for the cost. Did that include the pipework or just the hardtop itself. I know you mentioned the rodholder additions and adjustments. Just wondering if the pipework was factory or not. I have a soft top so just wondering cost on putting on the hardtop with my existing pipework.

Thanks!

The hardtop (pipes, top, four top mounted rod holders and installation) was originally quoted at 3.4k.

I added the two rod holders on the sides, one on the top, and tracts for the enclosure along with an wiring access plate. Out the door with everything it totaled 3.8k

Reactions: Heyspike

ckenny23

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Who did the install koz54? I want to get the same hard top made for my 1996 Grady white seafarer 226?

ckenny23

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Who did the install koz54? I want to get the same hard top made for my 1996 Grady white seafarer 226?
Also I’m located in Massachusetts near Gloucester and willing to travel.

Koz54

Reaction score
Also I’m located in Massachusetts near Gloucester and willing to travel.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The company that did the hard top was Pen Weld in West Sayville, NY. Unfortunately the owner Jim retired. I found that out about a month ago when I called to get a price on something else. Great for Jim, but bad for the other work I was thinking of having him do.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Very nice work and they look super on the boat. You will love it when it is sunny on the water!