Adventure 208 - Adding fishing rod grommets in cabin

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Has anyone added fishing rod grommets for longer rods in the 208 cabin? I would like to store 7 foot rods in there and clear up some space above deck.
Not near my boat now, so dont know if I will have access or enough space to add them.

1638218474071.png

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't know how the cabins compare, but I sometimes store 8 seven footers overnight, in the cabin of my 228, just laying on the vee berth. If not anchoring at the same time, you can remove the anchor locker partition, and stick rod tips in there.

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
On my 208, I had the same need so that I could store rods while the boat is docked at the marina. My solution may not be the most elegant, but it has worked out and is easy to use. Behind your pillow in the photo is a removable panel that goes into the area where the anchor is stored. I replaced this panel with white PVC board and put tubing through the PVC board into the open cavity behind the panel. I put the tubing in the bottom corners to avoid any interference with the anchor, but the panel is also easily removed with the tubing to solve this issue as I did not modify the mechanisms that hold the panel in place. In my case, I used 2"x3" PVC gutter downspouts for the tubing - - makes it very easy to point the tip of the rod in and slide it in place so that my 8' rods are completely stored in the cabin. I also put a single hole in the new panel for my boat pole as well (since it has rusted in the extended position). I'm not near my boat at the moment, but should be able to take a photo or two in the next week or so if you are interested.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks GB! A picture would be great.
Glacier - I'm not sure, but cabin in the 228 must be bigger? I can only store 6 foot trolling rods on the racks.
I need to take a look behind the wall and check for clearance. Just need a few inches to get those 7 foot rods inside!

Last edited:

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not the greatest picture, but should give you the general idea... I glued 3 layers of the PVC board together to give it some reasonable rigidity to hold everything. As you can see, I bypassed all the rod holders for this storage approach....
1638250701511.jpeg

Reactions: Lt.Mike

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was suggesting just removing that panel, and sticking the rod tips in the anchor locker, if it's an overnight thing. I don't use the J hooks, I stick the tips up in the corners under the hooks, and the reels `diagonally across the cushions. Four each way, in an X pattern.
Tackle bag on the floor, right inside the door.

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That is pretty much how I use my alternative panel. I like the rod tips to be protected in the tubing as nothing gets snagged going in or out. And, I don't use the J hooks either and rest the rods on the cushions as you suggest. Works well for overnight storage as I like to keep everything below deck when my boat is at the marina (which is the case most of the time). And, this works for my 8 foot rods. Seems like the 228 and 208 cabins are similar setup and there is a significant amount of space behind the anchor locker partition. By having the alternative panel I also don't need to crawl in there and remove the panel when I'm ready to store the rods. Pretty simple solution for a lot of added convenience - - both approaches will definitely work and give sdfish the space he needs/

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks GB! A picture would be great.
Glacier - I'm not sure, but cabin in the 228 must be bigger? I can only store 6 foot trolling rods on the racks.
I need to take a look behind the wall and check for clearance. Just need a few inches to get those 7 foot rods inside!
I think the deck is longer but the cabin is the same size as the 20 foot models

steveditt

Reaction score
I have a lot of rods in my 208 always been an issue , started using fishing rod braided mesh sleeves different ones for spinning and bait casting has stopped many issues ,

Reactions: Sdfish

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Great idea on the sleeves - doesn't solve the length problem, but will be great to protect the stored rods and likely eliminate the eyes getting snagged during storage.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yes, I will try the rod sleeves. Just need to be able to have a person sleep in cabin and have the rods comfortably stored.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Not the greatest picture, but should give you the general idea... I glued 3 layers of the PVC board together to give it some reasonable rigidity to hold everything. As you can see, I bypassed all the rod holders for this storage approach....
View attachment 23806
Just how much additional storage length did you gain doing this?

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Approximately 20" of extra storage length. I store 8' rods without any issues.