Adventure 208 motorwell mods

MooseheadDoc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Has anyone with a 208 (or similar) done anything useful with the hinged motorwell guard?

I have looked at some threads on larger boats (or boats with larger engines) where the owner trimmed and/or revised the piece for clearance of a large outboard powerhead.

I have an older boat ('93) with a 2S engine. Clearance is not an issue. A previous owner already removed (or broke, or both...) one portion of the cover with it's piano hinge. I don't need to use it as a cutting board (I use a gimbal mounted board).

I have attached some photos of "current state".

So, a few questions...........

1. Does your guard latch to the motorwell? Mine is currently held up by aging velcro strips. There are screw holes on the well, apparently from removed brackets. I need to either install new brackets or fill those.

2. Has anyone found any other useful functions for this space? I'm considering putting some rod holders/rocket launchers there as alternative rod storage when I want the rails clear. Or I could secure that guard and use it to attache a small, removable table between the rear seats.

Thanks for any input.............. JB

Joe
Beaver Cove, ME

Attachments

• mw1.jpg
    mw1.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 8
  • mw2.jpg
    mw2.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 8
  • mw3.jpg
    mw3.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 8

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Mine is in the same configuration as yours, but it's held in place with Perko 0559DP door catches (I just had to replace them both since they finally snapped off after 25 years). The top pieces of the dam have been in one of the forward storage areas under the V-berth ever since I bought the boat. With just the front vertical piece, the dam never has to be flipped down since the motor can't hit it. Since we have a deck mounted Kodiak bait tank with an overflow drain hose that goes right over the top of it, it also makes it easier to step around it when fighting fish. I haven't done anything else with the space, since it's best to keep it clear for my functionality, but it's a good spot for an extra set of rod holders if you don't have the bait tank.

1601942856034.png

1601943383566.png

seasick

Reaction score
On mine, I added two clamp-on rod holders, one on each side mounted on the stainless grab rails that you also have. They work fine.
My lid also has the snap/pin latches. One advantage to those is that should you forget to lower the lid and tilt up the motor, the assemble will unlatch and fold out. I must admit, I have done that many times.