Advice/Help re: Cracked transom scupper

Jmc1010

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Hello fellow Grady White enthusiasts. I am glad to have discovered this forum. I am moderately mechanically inclined(at best) but want to learn to do some work myself. Hopefully someone here can help me out...
I noticed that my starboard transom scupper - the one hooked to the main deck drain - the external bronze/chrome fitting seems to have cracked and fallen off. I have a 2000 Adventure 208 . The port scupper is still there, albeit with corrosion, pictured below.

- Is a 1.5" Attwood scupper valve the correct part for this?
https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-66553-3-Barbed-Stainless-Scupper/dp/B0000TX760/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=1+1/2+scupper+valve&qid=1620320033&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1
-While I only have limited mechanical/miniatous/ repair experience, this seems like it is fairly straight forward. Is there more to it than ordering the correct scupper and hose, then ensuring a tight install?
Thanks for any help. I look forward to getting more involved.

cp1.jpg

20210506_102301.jpg 20210506_102323.jpg 20210506_103000.jpg

Last edited:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, that will work fine since that part is above waterline. Be sure to get 2 new clamps and install them 180degrees rotationally from each other. Try your best to avoid clamps made in China. Use a high quality caulking like "Life Seal" or equivalent when installing the through-hull fitting. Be sure the hinge of the flapper is oriented on top.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's really strange - especially since bronze is a more durable metal than SS. I would be suspicious of the other one, as well. But, yes, it's as straight forward as you're thinking.

The hose is showing cracking, but that hose can have some cracks and still be sufficient. HOWEVER, it's going to be very difficult getting that hose off and you may find it easier to just cut it off and start fresh with new hose. In that case, I would use the white hose that has nylon reinforcing instead of black with wire reinforcing. The white stuff is excellent and is much easier to put on since you warm it up and it then slides on easily.