Afraid of running out of oil

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey, guys.
Last summer I destroyed an '88 200 hp Johnson engine when I ran out of oil. No alarm of any sort sounded. I replaced the engine with a 2000 Johnson 200 hp and it runs great. The problem is that I don't trust the alarm system even tho' my mechanic assures me the various sensors work and sound the alarms. How (or if) he's tested them, I don't know.

I was looking at some listings of used Gradys a few weeks ago and one of them listed an oil tank level guage among the instrumentation. I visualized something like a fuel guage with markings at full, 3/4, 1/2, etc. I keep thinking this would be a great back up to the oil sensor alarm system and shouldn't be very expensive.

Problem is, I can't find such an instrument anywhere on the internet, aftermarket or OEM. After another 3 hours searching this morning, I decided it was time to ask you. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Gary 89 Overnighter - just paranoid about burning up another engine.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On both boats I've had with Yamaha's, they had it on the guages, but they were not that accurate. They did show the level, but I always thought it was off by roughl 1/4 of the tank. When it read 1/2 I was closer to 1/3 or 1/4, but it is still good to have. I use to keep my oil tank topped off, another alternative is to buy a bigger reservoir, they sell a bigger one then the stock one I believe, you could use that and keep it topped off so it does not run empty. I always kept a spare gallon on my 2-stroke boats and would check the out level either after every trip or before starting the engines. Oil tanks and levels need to be checked regularly, they should never be run down if checked often enough unless you have a leak.

Enough Already

Reaction score
Hey gradyfish - just curious - how did you check the oil on your 265 before you switched motors? I have the level indicator on my Yamaha gauges on the console but as you said, it is just close at best. You can look at the tanks through the center stern deck plate but the tanks are almost opaque. I'm thinking of making some sort of dipstick to run down through the oil fill ports on the transom but thinking there must be a better way. . . .

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey Gradyfish. Thanks for the reply. I do fill the tank before leaving the dock religiously now but it only seems to hold about a gallon. On a long day on the water, I have to add oil a couple of times. This engine seems to burn oil at about the same rate as the old motor did - i.e. a lot. I carry at least one full gallon jug when I leave my dock, two when heading for a day on the bay. There's no evidence of oil leaking anywhere, just lots of blue smoke at low rpms.

Finding a tank big enough to last all day, proabably 2 1/2 to 3 gallons would help. Knowing I have more fuel capacity than oil probably plays a part in my discomfort.

Gary 89 Overnighter

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Enough Already-- the 265 came with four storkes from the dealer. The boat was a 2002, but was not sold to the original owner until late 2002, almost 2003. BNeing that the boat has 4 strokes, I not have a reservoir, but my previous Grady's did, they were both 2 strokes, but had decent access.

gwwannabe --I believe Yamaha has a 3 or 4 gal tank that could ne used, Not sure where it would fit, but that seems like it would suit your needs better. I'm sure other engine brands have similar sized tanks, I would think that would be your best solution. Since it is a
Johnson, I'd call a Johnson or Evinrude dealer and see what they can do first, if they do not have a tank size good for you, find out if you can substitue the Yamaha tank, I'm sure you could.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Enough Already said:
Hey gradyfish - just curious - how did you check the oil on your 265 before you switched motors? I have the level indicator on my Yamaha gauges on the console but as you said, it is just close at best. You can look at the tanks through the center stern deck plate but the tanks are almost opaque. I'm thinking of making some sort of dipstick to run down through the oil fill ports on the transom but thinking there must be a better way. . . .

I use one of those million candle watt (exaggeration) lights that plugs into the cigeratte lighter. I will shine this through the access hole onto the side of the oil resovior.
My boat goes from full oil to flashing alarm in about 20 minutes of running, so it is less than ideal. I try to keep them half full minumum.... if I am going offshore I will add 2.5 gallons to each and top it off! I also keep a spare gallon on board just in case!
Tim

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey, Pete. Thanks for the reply. I love the pic of your boat on your messages. The outriggers and pennants really give it a salty look.

Can you or anyone else with Johnson's quantify how much oil your using? I've read many times here and other sites that Johnsons use a lot of oil. My rate seems to average about a gallon for about 30 to 40 gals of gas but it varies by what I'm doing. Running at cruise seems best and trolling worst. This is totally unscientific because I add fuel at my dock 20 or 25 gallons at a time and add oil whenever I take the boat out.

Thanks
Gary 89 Overnighter

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Your tank is bigger than 1 gallon, no need to run out of oil, same as not running out of gas - but people do.

Check the oil each time you pull in for gas.
Given a full tank of gas and a full oil tank, I bet the oil tank would win out and last longer. That's why it's size doesn't matter.

If you tend to be one who on occasion runs out of gas, OMC/Bombardier used to offer a 3 gallon oil tank as I recall - perhaps still does. This may help running out of oil and wrecking the engine, running out of gas won't wreck the engine.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
Enough Already said:

I use one of those million candle watt (exaggeration) lights that plugs into the cigeratte lighter. I will shine this through the access hole onto the side of the oil resovior.
My boat goes from full oil to flashing alarm in about 20 minutes of running, so it is less than ideal. I try to keep them half full minumum.... if I am going offshore I will add 2.5 gallons to each and top it off! I also keep a spare gallon on board just in case!
Tim

a gallon of oil in 20 minutes??? i think somethings is wrong i dont use that much in a day

Seahunter

Reaction score
If you’re running 30:1 or 40:1 you need to investigate. Mine runs right around 50:1 under all conditions. I have the small (1.8 gallon) Evinrude tank and pretty much get 1 tank full of gas to 1 tank full of oil on a 92 gallon tank.

I beleive you're Overnighter has a 62 gallon tank so you should never run out of oil before gas if you’re oiling properly

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt K reminded me of something overlooked.

The Member needs visual access to the oil tank, it is translucent, just need a flashlight, don't try to do it by eyeballing.

Mine are in the forward part of the bilge partially under the fixed floor, I reach down with the light and point it sideways into the tank and look through another side. The Yamaha oil level gauge on the multifunction meter doesn't work proportional like a gas tank gauge from what I can see, so I don't bother with it.

Looking at the tank also allows you to judge how much oil to add relative to height change, which keeps one from overfilling if you have a remote fill. Given enough of time, overfilling may allow some oil to seep out making a mess in the tank compartment.

For others with Yamahas and the onboard tank under the cowl, and you are a DIY, you can run a simple functional test to see if the alarm really works.

The tank has a large outlet hose at the bottom with a wire tie on it. Get an empty car WW fluid container, cut the upper half off & clean it out dry, get some absorbant pads, now with the engine off ignition on, pull off that hose, get the container under there right away - you can sqeeze it to shape to fit there. The oil level will drop faster than it can be made up from the transfer pump, you will see the transfer pump oil coming in on the side near the top trying to keep up, the alarm should sound, if it doesn't better get it check out.

As soon as you hear the alarm, get the hose back on and don't forget the wire tie. Observe the oil coming in from the transfer pump. Periodically actuate the electric switch near the cowl tank, it turns on the transfer pump manually. And when the oil is coming out of the removed hose, observe it for any signs of water. Investigate if you find any.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
Enough Already said:

Tim

That sounds pretty serious, or at least in need of a MAJOR tune-up I would think.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Capt Armchair said:
fishingFINattic said:
Enough Already said:

Tim

That sounds pretty serious, or at least in need of a MAJOR tune-up I would think.

It does not use a gallon in twenty minutes.... I get about 50:1 ratio.

The indicating gauge goes from full to empty in twenty minutes, in other words, the gauge response is not linear to oil level in the tank.

If would be like driving your car around on full for a week, and then one day it goes from full to empty in 20 miles.

In my case, the system does not work.
Tim

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their responses. Pete mentioned the BRP parts catalog so I went looking for that this evening. Found the oil tanks, 1.8 and 3 gallons. Also found that they offer an oil tank level guage kit - in fact, 3 of them. Of course, the listing does not provide any info as to the differences between the kits but would imagine single vs twin engines for starters. A parts web site I use, www.marineengine.com, lists one of the kits at $50.99 and the other 2 at $62.99. Also, the tanks list for $147 and $204.

The tank in the boat now is a very dark plastic and the brightest light I own will not show the oil level within. I get a shadow if I shine it into the tank but I can't do that when filling since I have to use a funnel.

Pete, you mentioned having two tanks per engine. How are they connected?

Thanks,
Gary 89 Overnighter

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
gwwannabe said:
Hey, guys.
Last summer I destroyed an '88 200 hp Johnson engine when I ran out of oil. No alarm of any sort sounded. I replaced the engine with a 2000 Johnson 200 hp and it runs great. The problem is that I don't trust the alarm system even tho' my mechanic assures me the various sensors work and sound the alarms. How (or if) he's tested them, I don't know.

I was looking at some listings of used Gradys a few weeks ago and one of them listed an oil tank level guage among the instrumentation. I visualized something like a fuel guage with markings at full, 3/4, 1/2, etc. I keep thinking this would be a great back up to the oil sensor alarm system and shouldn't be very expensive.

Problem is, I can't find such an instrument anywhere on the internet, aftermarket or OEM. After another 3 hours searching this morning, I decided it was time to ask you. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Gary 89 Overnighter - just paranoid about burning up another engine.

I had a pair of 89 loopers before my repower. I also never trusted the guages so I just mixed 1 gallon oil with evey 50 gallons gas. Never a problem for me again and I knew I had the right ration for the motors.

eppem

Reaction score
I think its safe to say that Tim is kidding? Point being, the gauges are not very accurate. Our 98 pursuit (22) runs on a 200hp yammy saltwater series two stroke engine. The reserve holds a lot of oil and its pretty easy to pop the hatch and take a look and then refill although i still always spill a little oil, even with a funnel!!...the gauge, (spelling?), indicator will show green for full....when it flips to yellow/orange? as in caution, that seems to be the time to refill on this boat...as the caution light will flip to RED very soon! Learned that the hard way, years ago, but the pump on the yammy has an emergency reserve switch, its mounted on the back of the engine and does move the last bit of oil from the reserve to the oiler unit. Plus we always keep an extra quart on board.

I guess like anything, though, (boating), its a matter of finding the sweet spot and learning the accuracies or inaccuaracies of what your guages are telling you?

Tim, will you be at offshore nite on 3/25? if yes, I have more oil if you want it? call me or email