Aft facing Seat Cushions - How to secure?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anyone out there have any ideas? I normally don't put my rear facing seat cushions out since I would forget they are there and risk blowing them out of the boat and not notice. There is no way to snap or strap them down. Or at least the one's I have do not have any evidence of every being secured in any way.

Was thinking to put some snap in webbing straps but thought that would look dull, but if you have some pics or thoughts, would appreciate it.
Was going to add a pic but seems that the board attachment quota has been reached error again.

The location on this model is just behind the helm seats so that when you would sit down, your head would be touching the back of the forward facing seats.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's strange that there aren't already snaps. I wonder if a PO made that change?

Do you already at least have the snaps in the glass?

I hear 'ya on not wanting to see black straps sticking out. Instead, you could sew both ends of the strap (or make one out of matching vinyl) onto the underside of the cushion - sort of from corner to corner - about 3", give or take, up the side from each corner. Then attach the snap in the appropriate place on the strap. That would give you enough room reach in and snap it down. Not sure if I'm explaining it correctly......

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There is no evidence of any snaps for them. I am guessing that someone purchased all new seat cushions before selling as they all looked brand new when I got the boat in 2011. But even then, would have thought there would be some evidence of the snaps near where the cushions would be. But nope, nothing.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Maybe cushions were originally an option? But even so, that's odd that the PO didn't snap them down.

Oh well - at least you get to start with a blank canvas!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yeah, that is the scary part giving me the option! Use 16 penny galvanized nails or lag bolts? :jaw

My guess would be that they would have matching vinyl straps sewn on the sides and snaps in edge of hatch, but that would mean I need to find an upholstery shop to do that work for me. Kinda like they do on the cooler cushions.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
ROBERTH said:
Yeah, that is the scary part giving me the option! Use 16 penny galvanized nails or lag bolts? :jaw

Nice! :D

It may not be too hard to sew on the straps. With a curved needle, maybe? If not, I bet it wouldn't be too expensive at a local shop. Any chance the cushions have a zipper somewhere for skin removal?

Just thinking outloud... but magnets might be an interesting avenue. Strong, flat magnets - like neodymium. Sew one in at each corner and then epoxy the corresponding ones in place on the UNDERSIDE of the locker hatch. I did a transom door like this on my Sundancer and it works really well.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Now that is thinking! Those magnets should work well with the nails. Sorry, just had to be a joker today! Must be the weather and land locked too long!!!

Seriously, I had epoxied in a magnet already to hold the door up, so this is a great idea.

Only thing I can think of now is that will cause some issue when I put the cushions back in the cabin where they are stored when not needed will screw up my RC42. Ask me how I know....Will have to ponder on that one more though. :hmm

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's alright - humor is good!

Did it end up taking you in circles? How far away where the magnets?

I wonder if a dry cleaners would be even cheaper to sew the strap in?

Also, have you ever seen those white, plastic snaps? They're much more "flush" feeling to the fiberglass than a standard snap and they just stick on. I've never personally used them, but they look interesting. I think they're made by YKK.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The magnet issue was from my subwoofer, which I had to move to very front of the vberth to not cause interference. Ant magnet near the RC42 will make it inaccurate. How much isdependant upon the field strength. You can watch the radar compass rotate as you move the magnet.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm thinking 2 ways.

One is like the stock cushions. Add corner straps to the underside of the cushion in each of the corners. The stock ones usually run a piece of double thick vinyl and attach it to the corner area and then install a female snap. When you do all four corners, mark where they align on the glass. Then attach the male side of the snap with a screw in the middle to that area. Drill a small pilot hole and use 5200 on the threads. This isn't hard. You can have the tabs sewn easily or do it yourself. The female snap is a 2 piece snap, and you can install yourself with some hand tools. The male side of the snap comes with the screw already installed, just drill seal and screw it down.

The other is less pretty, but would work. Essentially do the same, but use 1 1/2 wide Velcro with adhesive (they sell at HD) and sew one side to the cushion as done above.
Then tack the other side on the glass.

Let us know how you make out.

suzukidave

Reaction score
if you don't want to add snaps you can sew a tab with a grommit or split ring onto each cushion and put an eye strap on the coaming and use a lanyard. you will never lose the cushion overboard.