Anchor Chain re ACCO

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Since my 228 only came with 4ft of chain from the prior owner, I am looking to replace this.

Has anybody used ACCO branded chain? Saw I can get 5/16 for 1.99 a ft on clearance and not sure what I’m missing. Sounded too good to be true. I have no windlass to be concerned about

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sure, nothing wrong with that brand - they're good. A couple notes... be sure to check shipping - that can sometimes be expensive. If you don't have a windlass, you don't need the short link (G43 - HT) stuff. You may be able to find standard mooring chain even less expensive. Also, you absolutely don't need 5/16" for a small boat. 1/4" is MORE than enough for your boat. Have you checked at HD or Lowes?

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is G30 ok? HD and Lowe’s had that by me....

Think they only had zinc, nothing galvanized but I need to check again.

My boat is kept in saltwater so want to make sure the chain doesn’t quickly rust out.

back to the drawing board as WM sold out of that chain I was looking at.

Your right about the thickness...I only need 3/16 to 1/4....I’m using 3/8 for the rode. For some reason, I thought I needed the 5/16 but my math was off

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
1/2" rode and 1/4" chain is what I have for the windlass setup. 3/8" rode can be tough on the hands if you're hard stuck on bottom. Since you don't have a windlass, you could go bigger on rode for comfort. 1/4" chain is plenty.